ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Finally got some weights. Thoughts on what I plan to do?

I am a beginner. 28 years old. I need to gain weight, as a side note. I have done a lot of reading and watching about weight lifting over the years and finally got some weights, etc.

Here is what I was planning on doing. Let me know what you think about it, or feel free to suggest another program. I was going to try and keep it simple. Start with just 45 pounds and add 5 pounds or 2.5 pounds each time I workout for as long as I can.

Monday Wednesday Friday
    Squat 4x8
    Deadlift 4x8
    Bench press 4x8
    Barbell row 4x8
    Overhead press 4x8

Then on Tuesday Thursday Saturday do some isolation movements (3x12) like side lateral raises, bicep curls, skull crushers and maybe a few other movements. I know that at this point the compound movement are the most critical and not to ignore legs haha.

Does this sound fine for a beginner? I was trying to approach it from a progressive overload point to help building strength but also gain size. That's why I went with 4x8, as sort of medium between strength and hypertrophy. I realize it is similar to the 5x5 program but altered, plus doing some isolation on in between days. Any feed back or programs, or really anything is welcome. Thank you.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, I actually do think that's a great approach. Just start with relatively light, manageable weight and make sure you've got a handle on the correct form. Do that until you stall out with the linear progression, and come back then.

Good luck and have fun with this rewarding pursuit
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks like a lot of volume even without added isos on the 3 "off" days, but if you've been reading & watching about weightlifting for the past 5 years to build this program for this very moment, give it a shot and see how it goes.

Regardless, you don't need to start out all your lifts at the exact same weight.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Regardless, you don't need to start out all your lifts at the exact same weight.
    Whoops, yeah, I should have caught that.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChickNPicker93 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Looks like a lot of volume even without added isos on the 3 "off" days, but if you've been reading & watching about weightlifting for the past 5 years to build this program for this very moment, give it a shot and see how it goes.

It hasn't been 5 years. I've really been watching/reading a lot for 1 year. Sure I read about it before that but not as intently.

(Of course any isolation movements on the "off" days will be lower weight)

It would be 96 sets total a week on the big 5 movements. What would you suggest?

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChickNPicker93 View Post
    It would be 96 sets total a week on the big 5 movements. What would you suggest?
    Half that many sets would be plenty.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
    C.S. Lewis

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChickNPicker93 View Post
    It hasn't been 5 years. I've really been watching/reading a lot for 1 year. Sure I read about it before that but not as intently.

(Of course any isolation movements on the "off" days will be lower weight)

I suggest picking a proper novice program that you feel suits how you think you’d like to work out, rather than designing your own as a beginner, but do what you feel will work best for you.

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think it's fine, and if running your own programming gets you invested enough to stick to it then you should go with it.

Just don't be so invested in a specific program that you aren't willing to have it change over time. One of the the mistakes I made when starting out was sticking with things too long.
    Know that your training will need to change over time. This is just a starting point, which you will inevitably outgrow, and possibly faster than you think.
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

Ok. Thank you for the feedback. I think I might give it a try or maybe I'll drop it to 4x7, but as a beginner hopefully I will respond as long as I eat enough and sleep enough.

I know one runs the risk of trying to change too much when consistency often would work better. That being said, if something ain't working after enough time one should realize it and figure what the reason. Is it the program? Not enough calories? Etc.

Still open to any program suggestions or general input. It will be about a week before I start working out. That's why I asked this ahead of time.