FunkyKikuchiyo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

All my energy at the end of a work out

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I hope I can offer enough clear information without rambling.

About me: 39 year old male, new to strength training as of a year ago. It started closer to physical therapy, but is now an at-home (apartment) routine with adjustable dumbbells and kettlebells, as well as a door frame pull up bar. Three days a week full body. I'm not following a plan, but I try to hit all the muscle groups and rotate through to get a few sets each. No cardio at this point, but I try to get out on walks. For nutrition, I eat pretty clean with a lot of protein, but not quite to the 1g/lb that I keep hearing about. I am not sure what my calories are against maintenance; I can't seem to make up my mind if I want a slight cut, maintenance or a very lean bulk, since I'm coming from a "skinny fat" place, due to trying to manage weight/health through diet alone for several years. My hope has been that my body fat percentage being high enough (probably upper teens, if my Amazon calipers are to be trusted) and being a "newbie" I shouldn't need any aggressive bulking.

My issue: my workouts start pretty lazy, and I don't seem to have a lot of energy and feel a bit winded. I feel like I need a lot of rest between sets and don't have much in the tank. I find that I multi-task through the workouts since I'm at home - answer emails, etc. Then, once I'm a couple hours in, I get a second wind, and I'm able to do really good sets with very little rest time. I take this for a while, but usually it gets late and if I exercise too late it messes with my sleep.

My questions are first: Why? Any ideas? And second: is there any way to get that "second wind" up front so I can have a more productive workout, with higher volume in a shorter amount of time? It is frustrating to need that much time to get going, and I feel like I have no time for anything on workout days, not to mention not hitting a full potential in the workouts themselves.

Also, I get the exact amount of caffeine that I want from my coffee every day, and don't want to supplement, so I would shut down the pre-workout stuff in advance.

Thanks for the help!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It sounds like you’re winging and half-a**ing both your workout and nutrition. It’d probably help you to have an actual plan/tracking for both, then ask for feedback on the specifics. Otherwise you might just be spinning your wheels.