zaza88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny-fat need advice

I was about 21 in 2009 and started training for the first time in my life. I started out with calisthenics and then fell into the abyss of ****arounditis. Since then I've done kettlebell programs, barbell programs (power to the people) and made decent strength gains. My physique never changed much. I tried cutting, bulking, eating maintenance. I have always had this skinny-fat look. I stopped using the barbell and am just fdoing calisthenics now while in a caloric deficit. All I want at this point is to get very lean and then trying to build muscle while eating a slight surplus. I'm losing weight but the belly won't go away. No matter what i've tried or done, that fat will not budge. I'm currently 6' 1" and 160lbs. I'm just looking for some advice.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by zaza88; 01-08-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What kind of strength gains have you made over the years? From your pics, I would not peg you as having done any resistance training.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It doesn't look like you've ever touched a weight in your life. So either you weren't actually working very hard at it (lack of actual effort in the gym), or your programming wasn't good, or your nutrition wasn't good, or some combination of all of those things.

Go back to basics. Read the "Dont Look Past the Basics" sticky thread near the top of the forum.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what was your progress like? i can guarantee you that your physique will also improve when you bench 180 lbs instead of 80, or squat 240 lbs instead of 120

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zaza88 View Post
    I was about 21 in 2009 and started training for the first time in my life. I started out with calisthenics and then fell into the abyss of ****arounditis. Since then I've done kettlebell programs, barbell programs (power to the people) and made decent strength gains. My physique never changed much. I tried cutting, bulking, eating maintenance. I have always had this skinny-fat look. I stopped using the barbell and am just fdoing calisthenics now while in a caloric deficit. All I want at this point is to get very lean and then trying to build muscle while eating a slight surplus. I'm losing weight but the belly won't go away. No matter what i've tried or done, that fat will not budge. I'm currently 6' 1" and 160lbs. I'm just looking for some advice.
    Bulk for 2 years up to say 190 lbs on a solid routine and then you can worry about losing fat. Stop focusing on the wrong thing - muscle gain should be your main priority for a long time, not fat loss.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Guys, can't you read? OP's tried it all and nothing has worked.

Seriously though OP, when you describe your programs as kettlebell, barbell & calisthenics, and diet as cutting, bulking and maintenance - none with any details - the whole thing sounds like the "abyss of ****arounditis" as you say.

If you pick one of maintenance or bulking - and do a proper novice lifting program - you'll look a lot better.

FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FatBallz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There should be a sticky titled "Skinny Fat Need Advice"

To physically change you need to hit the gym with a dedicated schedule on a proper program while recording progress.

Doing a few curls a couple times a month isnt going to do sh!t.

You only get out what you put in.
    Calls 'em like I sees 'em Crew
    Suomalainen Crew
    Feels like a manlet around Amazonian women Crew
    Gets turned on when looking in the mirror Crew

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to pick a goal and stick to it. You don't have much in the way or muscle OR fat, so if you cut down, you'll likely look like a holocaust survivor.

You could try to recomp at maintenance calories, or lean bulk (aim for 2lb weight gained per month). Either way, you need to follow a proper resistance training program to have good results. You'll gain a little fat if you go the lean bulking option, but you'll also gain more muscle and strength.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FatBallz View Post
    There should be a sticky titled "Skinny Fat Need Advice"

To physically change you need to hit the gym with a dedicated schedule on a proper program while recording progress.

Doing a few curls a couple times a month isnt going to do sh!t.

You only get out what you put in.
    we need a sticky for "bulk or cut" questions as well, and everyone who wants a reply needs to post a picture

zaza88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I'm definitely going to pick a program and stick to it. My nutrition is on point now. What I want to know is if I continue cutting will I get to the point where I'm lean enough to not have a belly? When I sit down I can grab like a 5lb chunk of fat in the center of my belly. I do not like how this feels. My logic is that I'm already skinny so I might as well get as lean as possible before switching to a longterm slow bulk.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by zaza88 View Post
    I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. I'm definitely going to pick a program and stick to it. My nutrition is on point now. What I want to know is if I continue cutting will I get to the point where I'm lean enough to not have a belly? When I sit down I can grab like a 5lb chunk of fat in the center of my belly. I do not like how this feels. My logic is that I'm already skinny so I might as well get as lean as possible before switching to a longterm slow bulk.
    you may not have a belly and you will look like s h I t overall. You’ll lose fat everywhere and look terrible. Do what was suggested, get on a proper program eat in a small calorie surplus and give it time. You need muscle more than you need less fat. You can diet the fat off later. Keep an eye on your waist measurement. If it’s growing too much cut back on calories.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB