Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Just warmed up and did a single working set today. Paused reps are significantly harder to me and this felt like a rough equivalent of 315 on a normal set. An angle directly from the side would probably have been better but the gym was exceptionally crowded and I think there were people standing there. Was aiming for below parallel on all of these but it's somewhat hard to tell. Any points of criticism welcome.

I only managed 3 reps the last time I tried this with two plates so I'm somewhat happy about that, though it's certainly still a laggard lift for me.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post

Just warmed up and did a single working set today. Paused reps are significantly harder to me and this felt like a rough equivalent of 315 on a normal set. An angle directly from the side would probably have been better but the gym was exceptionally crowded and I think there were people standing there. Was aiming for below parallel on all of these but it's somewhat hard to tell. Any points of criticism welcome.

I only managed 3 reps the last time I tried this with two plates so I'm somewhat happy about that, though it's certainly still a laggard lift for me.
    You need to stay tighter on pause squats.

One of the reps looked like you paused, then dipped before squatting up.

And your COM dips forward and some of the reps get a bit good morning-ish.

Also is that your usual eccentric tempo?

You wanna go down at your normal tempo and pause. Slowing down as you approach the hole defeats the purpose.

Overall they lacked tension and explosiveness.

Would rather see 2-3 perfect reps vs trying to push for 4 or 5 ok reps.
    the latest and greatest in training...or whatever.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177744461&page=3

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    You need to stay tighter on pause squats.

One of the reps looked like you paused, then dipped before squatting up.

And your COM dips forward and some of the reps get a bit good morning-ish.

Also is that your usual eccentric tempo?

You wanna go down at your normal tempo and pause. Slowing down as you approach the hole defeats the purpose.

Overall they lacked tension and explosiveness.

Would rather see 2-3 perfect reps vs trying to push for 4 or 5 ok reps.
    Ok, I actually wasn't aware that "eccentric tempo" was a point of form with squats. So you would recommend not approaching the hole slowly, even though it's followed by a pause rather than a bounce? At first blush it seems that abruptly stopping a quick descent would also leak some energy the same as going down a bit more slowly, but I'll defer to your experience and strength level.

The good morning thing is something I'm consciously trying not to do but it's a struggle for me, so is bracing. It looks like my "squat" motion initially fails and then my back starts to take over, then I correct myself midway, after the deviation already started. Nevertheless I'll look for ways I can improve both. Thanks for the pointers. This lift is super hard to get right for me for whatever reason.

EDIT: If it's worth anything for reference, here was the previous attempt with 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Y4GVOeCnA
    Last edited by EliKoehn; 02-22-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok, I actually wasn't aware that "eccentric tempo" was a point of form with squats. So you would recommend not approaching the hole slowly, even though it's followed by a pause rather than a bounce? At first blush it seems that abruptly stopping a quick descent would also leak some energy the same as going down a bit more slowly, but I'll defer to your experience and strength level.

The good morning thing is something I'm consciously trying not to do but it's a struggle for me, so is bracing. It looks like my "squat" motion initially fails and then my back starts to take over, then I correct myself midway, after the deviation already started. Nevertheless I'll look for ways I can improve both. Thanks for the pointers. This lift is super hard to get right for me for whatever reason.

EDIT: If it's worth anything for reference, here was the previous attempt with 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Y4GVOeCnA
    Its not so much energy leak, but you’re trying to mimic your squat pattern as close as possible so that the pause is happening in a position closer to what your actual squat resembles.

You’re almost doing a combination of a tempo squat and a pause squat.

Tempo squats are great too, but I wouldn’t combine the slow eccentric with a pause. I’d make them 2 different movements.

If your back takes over it means you have weak legs in relation to your back.

Personally I think you have an issue rounding over which would imply a weak back in relation to your legs, but I’d have to watch some normal squats closer to a 3-5RM to actually tell.

I’d suggest checking out the juggernaut training YouTube for suggestions on addressing weak points.

You might want to invest in squat shoes to help stay a little more upright too.

Candidto has a solid old video on pause squat form too.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Eli those squats look fine. Don't overthink it or get dense, just carry on. You'll iron out wrinkles in form as you keep going, as long as nothing hurts.

Not arguing with you, Film, just giving a different eye. Bryce Krawczyk has a slow descent too, though I can't remember where he explains why. Might be his hip pain.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll try not to overthink things too much and instead focus on improving one or two cues at a time as I gain more of an intuitive skill with the motion. I think at this point buying shoes really is in order though.

Couldn't disagree that my legs are relatively weak, particularly the quads, calves and hip flexors. By the end of this year, I am eager to be able to squat 405 cleanly and will do what it takes to get there. As much as the lift itself is not my favorite, that one's kind of a "serious lifter card" that few people have, even many who are well-trained, and I want to earn it.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Appreciate the feedback guys. I'll try not to overthink things too much and instead focus on improving one or two cues at a time as I gain more of an intuitive skill with the motion. I think at this point buying shoes really is in order though.

Couldn't disagree that my legs are relatively weak, particularly the quads, calves and hip flexors. By the end of this year, I am eager to be able to squat 405 cleanly and will do what it takes to get there. As much as I'm not enthusiastic about the lift itself, that one's kind of a "serious lifter card" that few people have, even many who are well-trained, and I want to earn it.
    Eli, you will get there quickly with regular squatting and a calorie surplus. You have a frame for some big lifts!

Something to consider is matching diet and programming to goals. For example- Bulking for 8 months a year and cutting for 4 …match that to your programming.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Eli those squats look fine. Don't overthink it or get dense, just carry on. You'll iron out wrinkles in form as you keep going, as long as nothing hurts.

Not arguing with you, Film, just giving a different eye. Bryce Krawczyk has a slow descent too, though I can't remember where he explains why. Might be his hip pain.
    All good

I wouldn’t normally harp on the speed, but the slow eccentric is ingraining some inefficient positioning with the bar drifting forward a bit.

So it’s making exploding out of the hole tougher, which then leads to the butt shooting up first.

Eli I peeked your videos, you could try adjusting your setup a bit so your butt isn’t so far behind you when you unrack.

I think that’s a large contribution to one reason your reps get a little wonky at times.

If you drift forward even a tiny bit, you’ve got no choice but to muscle it up with your back.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Eli, you will get there quickly with regular squatting and a calorie surplus. You have a frame for some big lifts!

Something to consider is matching diet and programming to goals. For example- Bulking for 8 months a year and cutting for 4 …match that to your programming.
    Unless you’re trying to get contest lean, Programming shouldn’t change based on your diet and even then it shouldn’t change dramatically.

Couldn't disagree that my legs are relatively weak, particularly the quads, calves and hip flexors. By the end of this year, I am eager to be able to squat 405 cleanly and will do what it takes to get there. As much as the lift itself is not my favorite, that one's kind of a "serious lifter card" that few people have, even many who are well-trained, and I want to earn it.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the extrinsic goal, if you focus on the process of what it takes get there then you’ll surpass that pretty easily.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Unless you’re trying to get contest lean, Programming shouldn’t change based on your diet and even then it shouldn’t change dramatically.

I’ll disagree-

If he’s chasing numbers, Ie powerlifting in a surplus, performance is the feedback and his diet and programming should be based on performance.
    In a nut shell train like a powerlifter and eat for numbers.

If he’s chasing visual appeal, bodybuilding looks and so forth for the beach, the powerlifting program and diet tweaks to a bodybuilders program and nutritional approach. In a reduced calorie state, drug free recovery is more difficult and injury risk goes up. Changes should be made accordingly.
    In a nut shell train like a bodybuilder and eat for aesthetics.
    Last edited by coachcalande; 02-23-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bulk Progress

3 Bulking mesocycles planned

Started the first of the three mesocycles on December 18 at ~ 188 lbs

I'm just about to finish my 2nd meso at ~ 202 lbs (~ 9.5 weeks in)

Dialed back volume on lower body, and increased specialization on lateral + rear delts & biceps + triceps

I'm happy with the progress of the shape overall

I think by the end of my third meso my arms will be in a good place where I can focus on bringing up other parts, like the iliac lats for example.

I just got back from several weeks of travel, going to check out people's logs here to see how its coming along gang!

Let's goo000OOO!!!
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post

Not really hip pain I don't think .
    He sets hips back to set correct torso angle and keep bar path relatively straight.
    And is just a steady lifter, explosive vs controlled is a large individual range.

Some peoples @10 squat is 0.2 or even 0.3ms, some is less than 0.1.

I don't see a huge amount wrong with that squat Eli tbh. More tightness sure, better angle and a bar path tracker would be cool to see though
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Bulk Progress

Dialed back volume on lower body, and increased specialization on lateral + rear delts & biceps + triceps

I think by the end of my third meso my arms will be in a good place where I can focus on bringing up other parts, like the iliac lats for example.

I just got back from several weeks of travel, going to check out people's logs here to see how its coming along gang!

Let's goo000OOO!!!
    Congratulations on the gains - life is too short to be small! Keep smashing weights and food.

I’ll disagree-

If he’s chasing numbers, Ie powerlifting in a surplus, performance is the feedback and his diet and programming should be based on performance.

If he’s chasing visual appeal, bodybuilding looks and so forth for the beach, the powerlifting program and diet tweaks to a bodybuilders program and nutritional approach. In a reduced calorie state, drug free recovery is more difficult and injury risk goes up. Changes should be made accordingly.
    Someone can have goals of strength gains without giving up aesthetics, and many weight class athletes are pretty lean and aesthetic and their training doesn’t change much.

They periodize correctly, but if they’re trying to stay within a certain weight to be more competitive they’ll slowly drop weight and gain strength and recomp.

Also chasing numbers doesn’t mean having to bulk an excess amount just to hit a arbitrary total.

Even someone filling out a weight class should be doing it methodically to ensure there isn’t an excess of fat gained.

Also the increased injury risk is negligible. Most injuries are due to improper load management.

Someone can chase numbers doing moderate rep ranges and simply peak when they wanna.

If someone has concurrent goals, it’s still done pretty often too.

If someone has solid technique and isn’t just loading the bar with weight they have no business handling, assuming they’re going to get have a created increase in injury doesn’t hold water.

Again as I said unless someone is trying to get contest lean, then sure don’t be hitting 1RM or triples.

But if you’re like 10-15% BF it’s not gonna snap you up.

If someone plans their training appropriately they can achieve multiple goals without too much fuss.

Edit:

Also I’d argue there’s less of a risk for injury to drug free lifters in a deficit because even on a severe cut, untested guys gain strength rapidly and so tendons, ligaments, etc. don’t recover as fast as their gains come and so they’re actually more likely to sustain an “severe” injury.
    Last edited by Filmbuff81; 02-23-2022 at 02:02 PM.

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)

February 23, 2022

Sumo Deadlift: 385 pounds x 1 rep [8 RPE]
    Close Grip Bench Press: 165 pounds x 1 rep / 175 pounds x fail

I got some nasty food poisoning on Monday evening and was still feeling the effects yesterday. Feeling much better today, but energy level is still pretty low.

Deads went well. Need to work on getting closer to the bar in my setup, because I can see that I'm still rolling it into position as I pull the slack out. Starting in that position would help a lot with consistency I'm sure.

Even though the deadlift was only about an 8 RPE, it sapped me of most of the energy I had. Had a slight case of the shakes as I did my close grip bench, and it showed. 175 felt like it should have gone up easily, but it just stopped dead and I had nothing left to push through it.

The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

Originally Posted by CW47 View Post

I got some nasty food poisoning on Monday evening and was still feeling the effects yesterday. Feeling much better today, but energy level is still pretty low.

Deads went well. Need to work on getting closer to the bar in my setup, because I can see that I'm still rolling it into position as I pull the slack out. Starting in that position would help a lot with consistency I'm sure.

Even though the deadlift was only about an 8 RPE, it sapped me of most of the energy I had. Had a slight case of the shakes as I did my close grip bench, and it showed. 175 felt like it should have gone up easily, but it just stopped dead and I had nothing left to push through it.

You’ll bounce back! CW are you going to compete? How about the rest of you…?

@CW, food poisoning is awful. I'm kind of surprised you're lifting at all so soon afterwards. When I had it, it made me faint in addition to vomit and my depth perception was oscillating in and out for different things in my vision. Glad you're recovered.

--

Yes, I am primarily interested in powerlifting-oriented training goals and chasing strength on specific lifts, but still care about aesthetics somewhat albeit less than the former. It seems that something like 70-80% of the physique comes from that anyway, and I derive more satisfaction and fulfillment from the objectivity of achieving definite, numerical "stats" than from a mere appearance, as well as the thrill of the challenge.

So, I am chasing weight on the bar, yes, but as you know, bodyweight is factored into the performance and the heavier you are, the less meaningful the absolute weight of the lift. I would guess that I still have 15-20 pounds to lose to be at about 18-20%, which is where I'd like to stay and then compete within the 100KG weight class with about 10 pounds of allowable fluctuation. Aesthetically, I don't like looking soft even if I'm big, but I also am not concerned with bodybuilding level leanness at all honestly. But all training/recreational goals aside, for the purpose of long-term health I'm personally not going to be content with being above a healthy bodyfat level and am still somewhat above that - so intentionally gaining weight when I still have plenty of potential strength to gain in the 215-225 weight range is not something I would be interested in doing.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    @CW, food poisoning is awful. I'm kind of surprised you're lifting at all so soon afterwards. When I had it, it made me faint in addition to vomit and my depth perception was oscillating in and out for different things in my vision. Glad you're recovered.

--

Yes, I am primarily interested in powerlifting-oriented training goals and chasing strength on specific lifts, but still care about aesthetics somewhat albeit less than the former. It seems that something like 70-80% of the physique comes from that anyway, and I derive more satisfaction and fulfillment from the objectivity of achieving definite, numerical "stats" than from a mere appearance, as well as the thrill of the challenge.

So, I am chasing weight on the bar, yes, but as you know, bodyweight is factored into the performance and the heavier you are, the less meaningful the absolute weight of the lift. I would guess that I still have 15-20 pounds to lose to be at about 18-20%, which is where I'd like to stay and then compete within the 100KG weight class with about 10 pounds of allowable fluctuation. Aesthetically, I don't like looking soft even if I'm big, but I also am not concerned with bodybuilding level leanness at all honestly. But all training/recreational goals aside, for the purpose of long-term health I'm personally not going to be content with being above a healthy bodyfat level and am still somewhat above that - so intentionally gaining weight when I still have plenty of potential strength to gain in the 215-225 weight range is not something I would be interested in doing.
    Bodyweight should only be of concern if you are trying to place in an actual meet ie a Wilks score.

Trying to compare your lifts against your bodyweight is self-defeating. Especially if you’re comparing it to percentages from smaller lifters (who will always have greater “strength” relative to their bodyweight) vs someone like you is over 6’ tall and capable of more absolute strength.

A good article on the subject:
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/ar...atios-are-dumb

Also you need to squat either with flat shoes or bare feet (with socks on obviously) but you would probably benefit from elevating the heels in some fashion.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by CW47 View Post

Way to push through under less than ideal circumstances

--

If you have the patience for a recomp diet, you can pretty much hit all your goals based on the above,

Eric Trexler had an interesting article in MASS recently where a small deficit of under 500 calories per day yielded lean mass gains while losing fat.

It ends up working out to like .5lbs lost per week.

500 calories seemed to be the inflection point where anything higher you only lose fat mass, but don’t gain muscle.

Bulk Progress

Let's goo000OOO!!!
    Great progress. Killing it

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bulk Progress

Let's goo000OOO!!!
    Almost got the classic bodybuilding physique going on. Looking great!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bulk Progress

Let's goo000OOO!!!
    14lb in 9.5 weeks - isn't that a bit fast?!

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I’ll disagree-

I've never noticed a calorie surplus making noticeable difference to my training performance. When I was a noob I got stronger fast, then stalled after about three months. After that I've had to fight for strength and muscle gains - they've come, but very slowly. Looking at my logbooks, my training performance doesn't seem to change much between being in a 300 calorie surplus (gaining more fat than muscle) or at maintenance. When cutting, my bench and OHP take a little hit, other lifts I tend to maintain strength (and performance slightly improves for bodyweight exercises).
    Last edited by RapidFail; 02-23-2022 at 07:41 PM.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    Thanks guys, run a neg train on me if I don't get 11 reps next week SRS
    No negs this week boyos, got all 11 reps
    Vid: https://streamable.com/n0ivc8

Bench-
    295x4
    295x4
    295x4

Deadlift-
    405x11

Pullups
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    No negs this week boyos, got all 11 reps
    Vid: https://streamable.com/n0ivc8

Bench-
    295x4
    295x4
    295x4

Deadlift-
    405x11

Pullups
    Props for not passing out or blowing chunks.

That would’ve been me lol

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Props for not passing out or blowing chunks.

That would’ve been me lol
    Haha we'll see about that when I try high rep squats again
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    I've never noticed a calorie surplus making noticeable difference to my training performance. When I was a noob I got stronger fast, then stalled after about three months. After that I've had to fight for strength and muscle gains - they've come, but very slowly. Looking at my logbooks, my training performance doesn't seem to change much between being in a 300 calorie surplus (gaining more fat than muscle) OR at maintenance. When cutting, my bench and OHP take a little hit, other lifts I tend to maintain strength (and performance slightly improves for bodyweight exercises).
    That’s not totally surprising since the calories required to gain muscle is incredibly tiny.

And unless someone is packing on like 30lbs of muscle the whole bulk to gain copious amounts of strength doesn’t really translate.

Sure you can eat yourself to bigger numbers, but that doesn’t actually mean real strength or muscle gains. Especially past a certain point, which you’ve noticed yourself.

Helms, and those guys have it right when they suggest gaining MAYBE a couple pounds a month to ensure is not excessive fat gain.

Some people have way better partitioning than others, but as a general rule bulking fast isn’t overly helpful.

This last super slow bulk of mine after the accident required more mini-cuts than i preferred but it was better than letting the weight just continue to rise without any other added benefit once I hit a certain threshold.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    @Camarija, looking hella aesthetic brother. Bulk seems to be going well. Good work man.

@Eli, the squats looked pretty good to me. Having said that though, it's the lift I have the least understanding of. I had a somewhat opposite opinion from Filmbuff, in that when I originally watched your video, I wanted to applaud you for not bouncing out of the hole and going straight up. Many lifters when doing pause squats, bounce out of the hole, thereby defeating the whole point of the pause. You'd probably benefit from better shoes, and overall finding ways to be tighter throughout. Also wanted to quote your statement "I derive more satisfaction and fulfillment from the objectivity of achieving definite, numerical "stats" than from a mere appearance, as well as the thrill of the challenge."

You summarized my thoughts on training there exactly, but where I have more of a bias towards being lean for the few months out of the year it's warm enough to take my shirt off in Canada since I enjoy the compliments and it encourages people to talk to me about lifting which I absolutely love to do.

Logging a workout here:

Week 3 - Squats - TM 270
    205 x 5
    230 x 5
    255 x 10 (PR set)
    270 x 3
    285 x 3
    295 x 3
    190 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Snatch Grip RDL
    225 x 8, 8, 8

ABS Roller - 10, 10, 10

Some mistakes were made...:

1) I've been eating above maintenance for the last 5 days. I guess I'm taking a bit of a diet break this week which I'm okay with.. I've lost 20 pounds since November and I really wanted to eat a nice amount of chocolate this week.
    2) as a result, I did 1's week instead of the 5's week which is the heaviest of the 3 week block and I wasn't ready for the volume squats.
    3) The sets of 10 weren't fun
    4) Didn't have time to make it to the gym so trained at home cuz work is kicking my ass (RRSP/Tax season is always busy)

I've always really struggled with squats. Any critique is welcome. They just look hella fcking weird. Especially the sets of 10, where I don't fully extend at the top and end up with a huge forward lean. I got off balance a few times, and bar placement felt awkward on a few sets. It really takes me a lot of practice to get this lift dialed in.

I also do plan to compete one day down the road. I actually had signed up for a competition just before the plague hit for the summer of 2020 but it got cancelled. Not sure what weight class, but probably at a weight around 84 - 88 kg.

Video is taking forever to upload so I'll edit when it's done.

Last edited by Millz12323; 02-23-2022 at 07:56 PM.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 280x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 375x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 515x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6