Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Glowbug has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How bad is the upkeep for a black oxide bar, really?

I live in the Southeast US - will be setting up a home gym in a heated and cooled garage, but one that won't have climate control running 24/7. In the summer, the humidity can get oppressive.

Am I guaranteeing myself a lot of maintenance for going with black oxide bars, or is it as easy as a 3-in-1 oil wipe a couple times a month? I don't mind a little patina, but also don't want my bars turning into something that looks like it was salvaged from the Lusitania after a few months.

Thanks!

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
    I live in the Southeast US - will be setting up a home gym in a heated and cooled garage, but one that won't have climate control running 24/7. In the summer, the humidity can get oppressive.

Am I guaranteeing myself a lot of maintenance for going with black oxide bars, or is it as easy as a 3-in-1 oil wipe a couple times a month? I don't mind a little patina, but also don't want my bars turning into something that looks like it was salvaged from the Lusitania after a few months.

Thanks!
    Wiping down with 3-in-1 oil a couple times a month and not minding a little patina and wear showing are just about all you need to consider. Brushing chalk off is always a good idea with any bar too. The feel of oxide is worth the tradeoffs in coating durability IMO.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After buying the bare steel Texas Power Bar I'm starting to question everything I know about barbell maintenance LOL. Had it a good while now and not a single spec of surface rust has formed, granted my barbell is inside but I expected at least a little discoloration from regular use. But I never really had issues with Black Oxide either, aside from the black starting to wear off around the 6-8 month mark which was a tad annoying.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    After buying the bare steel Texas Power Bar I'm starting to question everything I know about barbell maintenance LOL. Had it a good while now and not a single spec of surface rust has formed, granted my barbell is inside but I expected at least a little discoloration from regular use. But I never really had issues with Black Oxide either, aside from the black starting to wear off around the 6-8 month mark which was a tad annoying.
    Yeah, I've had a bare steel bar for over a year that I've done very little to maintain and it hasn't started showing any rust. I'm wondering if it's really even bare steel.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm in the NE and humidity is a bit high here much of the year, but on the flip side my basement (where the gym is) seems to remain below 60% humidity according to my hygrometer. I have 2 black oxide bars (3.5 years and 2.5 years respectively). Both have some very, very minor light surface rust here and there, but that's it. No maintenance at all.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think as long as you get a legit bar you will be fine.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I bought a used black oxide rogue ohio bar, that should be a couple years old The only signs of wear are on points of contact. My climate is 20-30% humidity though.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
    I think as long as you get a legit bar you will be fine.
    I have a few Chinese Standard bars which are all developing rust (aka grip), but my decent quality Olympic Barbell in the same environment still looks brand new after like 3 years in the same environment.

GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GamecockLifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I live in the southeast and my black oxide bars have held up really well in my unconditioned garage. Black oxide is my second favorite bar finish behind stainless. Love the way it feels.