Registered User userREYNIAL9X38's Avatar
    userREYNIAL9X38 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mass gains after stop working out

Hi guys,

stupid question: I'm working out since two years and I've gained almost 10 kilos of muscles so far, I was wondering if at some point I will stop (because of work needs or other personal stuff) am I gonna lose all the gains? Let's assume that I'll keep more or less the same diet.

I know muscles obviously shrink if you don't use them but in terms of mass will I have any stable result or it will be the same as if I never started working out?

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by userREYNIAL9X38 View Post
    Hi guys,

stupid question: I'm working out since two years and I've gained almost 10 kilos of muscles so far, I was wondering if at some point I will stop (because of work needs or other personal stuff) am I gonna lose all the gains? Let's assume that I'll keep more or less the same diet.

I know muscles obviously shrink if you don't use them but in terms of mass will I have any stable result or it will be the same as if I never started working out?
    Some will retain, and once you start working otu again you bounce back fast (muscle memory) but muscle is a 'use it or lose it' thing to a big extent. Muscle requires calories/energy to maintain so if you do not stimulate them the body will not prioritize retention and atrophy will happen; I went 6 months with no lifting after hernia surgery and lost maybe 20 pounds and half my strength, took me maybe 2-3 months to get strength back and about 4 months to gain the actual mass back.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If you stop completely then yes, you will eventually return to your previous condition. Your body reflects your lifestyle.

But the good news is that you could reduce your weekly workload down by quite a lot (maybe as little as 1 day a week) and you can maintain what you have.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Muscle atrophy due to disuse is indeed a real thing, so if you just stop working out completely then yes, you're gonna lose a sizeable portion of your gains. Its not a quantifiable amount exactly how much though, but the longer the term of disuse the closer you will be to your pre-trained state.

Good thing is that its recoverable with regular exercise and proper nutrition, and most people usually tend to get it back usually faster than it took them to build it the first time around.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.