Swampcrawler is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Routine Critique/Advise Please

Ok, I've held off on asking for advise thus far, preferring to do my own research, but Id like you guys to look over this. I'm going to dump as much info as i can here, trying not to leave anything out. I've spent the last 7 months trying to get into the gym life, maybe the last 4 months putting serious effort in. I wanted to get my strength to a level that wasn't absolutely humiliating before focusing on the weight loss that I desperately need. I'm at that point now. so:

I'm 29 years old, 6'6, currently 380ish lbs. For the last 4 months or so, focusing on gaining strength, I've been eating 5500 cal/day, and following this routine:

Monday:
    Bench 5x5
    OH Press 4x8
    Incline DB Press 4x8
    Lateral Raise 3x10
    Skull Crushers 3x10
    Cable flyes 4x10
    Cable Tri pressdowns 3x10

Tuesday:
    Deadlift 4x4
    Barbell Row 5x5
    DB Curls 3x10
    DB Rows 4x8
    Lat Pulldown 4x10
    Hammer Curls 3x10
    Barbell Shrugs 3x10
    Seated Row 4x10
    Cable Shrug 3x10

Wednesday:
    Squat 5x5
    Leg Press 4x12
    Leg Curl 4x12
    Leg Ext 4x12
    Calf Raise 7x15

Thursday:
    Incline Bench 4x12
    Bent Raises 4x12
    Seated DB triceps Ext 3x12
    DB flat bench 4x12
    Rope Triceps Pressdown 3x15
    Seated DB shoulder press 4x12
    Cable Flyes 4x12

Friday:
    Reverse grip barbell rows 4x12
    DB shrugs 3x15
    DB curls 3x12
    T Bar Rows 4x15
    Preacher Curls 3x15
    Lat Pulldowns 4x15
    Cable shrugs 4x15

Saturday:
    Front Squat 4x12
    Romanian DL 4x12
    Close foot leg press 4x20
    leg curls 4x15
    leg ext 4x20
    seated calf raises 7x20

I'm planning to keep the same workout routine and drop my intake to 3000 cal/day, high protein, moderate fat and low carb (I just straight up don't like eating carbs... I like meat and veggies.)

Do you guys think that will be pushing it too hard on limited calories or just about right? It is quite a bit of time in the gym.... i know there is always room for tweaks here and there but I'm just wondering if I'm even in the right vein here.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd guess it may be double the volume you need, but don't know much about you so do what you feel gets you the best results.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I'd guess it may be double the volume you need, but don't know much about you so do what you feel gets you the best results.
    thanks for the input.... i kind of feel the like this may be a bit much. Im considering going back to a 3 day/week full body split, but im not sure.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Swampcrawler View Post
    thanks for the input.... i kind of feel the like this may be a bit much. Im considering going back to a 3 day/week full body split, but im not sure.
    Even if you stick to 6 days, you might want to scratch about half the volume and adjust over time depending on how you respond/progress.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    this. it's not very smart for someone who's already obese to bulk even further on double the volume they need. you could've made a ton of gains eating at maintenance, and maybe slightly less gains in a deficit while also losing fat very quickly, training full body three times a week. you can probably still make some progress when you start cutting now though

3000 calories from high protein, moderate fat and low carb means you'll be eating way more protein than you need, and it's not really wise to eat like 400-500 grams of protein per day. the calorie amount sounds fine for someone your size imo

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're training for strength, that's way too much. If you do something like:

1 upper body push
    1 upper body pull
    Squat/deadlift (alternate)

3-5 sets each, 3-4 times/week, you can get in and out in 45 minutes.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok, so I have to ask. You're already obese, why on gods green earth have you been eating 5500 calories a day? You should be eating half of that, you have plenty enough fat on you to fuel gains and you don't need to eat in a massive calorie surplus to gain strength. When I started my weight loss journey I was in nearly a 1000 calorie a day deficit for 7 months, dropped 60 lbs and still saw consistent gains in the weight room the entire time.

Your volume is way too high, in order to get through a session like that without burnout you have to drop the weight low and lower the RPE, which defeats a lot of the purpose and almost results in more of a cardio workout than a strength training workout. I find that the optimal number of exercises per session is usually in the 4-6 range, and aiming for roughly 12-20 sets per muscle group PER WEEK.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why are you not trying to lose fat instead?
    You need to ditch your training program and use a good beginners program like Fierce 5 or something. You need a program that you can see strength results coupled with a calorie deficit to lose fat.
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 12-07-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Thanks for all the replies guys. As far as why i wanted to eat like a walrus and go for gains first... pure ego. Hate being the giant ass human lifting BS weight. And yes, im aware of how stupid that sounds.

Ill absolutely work on switching up my routine to something more appropriate... that's the advice i was looking for. I was so worried about not putting in enough effort, i apparently went overboard.

again, thanks!

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. As far as why i wanted to eat like a walrus and go for gains first... pure ego. Hate being the giant ass human lifting BS weight. And yes, im aware of how stupid that sounds.

Ill absolutely work on switching up my routine to something more appropriate... that's the advice i was looking for. I was so worried about not putting in enough effort, i apparently went overboard.

again, thanks!
    so you want to get even fatter?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. As far as why i wanted to eat like a walrus and go for gains first... pure ego. Hate being the giant ass human lifting BS weight.
    That was totally unnecessary though and not really how this works for those new to lifting or back in the gym after a long layoff. You would have easily put up bigger and bigger weight each week even while in a caloric deficit.

All of my current clients are lifting heaps more than they were when we started their training, while losing weight at the same time.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.