Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Shakewhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Just 1 triceps exercise ?

Hey, question. I train fullbody training, mainly compound movements, with some quick isolation exercise here and there. For triceps, i do compounds like dips,bench-press. I have question on isolation exercise. I know there are 3 heads of triceps, every is working with different exercise. I dont want to do 3 exercises for triceps, i need just 1 quick isolation at the end of workout. My favorite is triceps pushdown. Basically my question is, if triceps pushdowns are enough for overall triceps growth, or is it really isolation for just 1 head of triceps ? Thanks

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The heads work at varying degrees of stress, but never entirely independently from each other. With pushdowns, you'll achieve the most stress onto the lateral head, but slightly lesser stress will go to the long and medial heads. It's a question of what head you want focused on most.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So I found that using a staggered bar or rope, with a slight lean and pushing the cable straight down tends to work the triceps heavily, more so than any tricep extensions I have ever done with less elbow stress to boot.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Shakewhey View Post
    Hey, question. I train fullbody training, mainly compound movements, with some quick isolation exercise here and there. For triceps, i do compounds like dips,bench-press. I have question on isolation exercise. I know there are 3 heads of triceps, every is working with different exercise. I dont want to do 3 exercises for triceps, i need just 1 quick isolation at the end of workout. My favorite is triceps pushdown. Basically my question is, if triceps pushdowns are enough for overall triceps growth, or is it really isolation for just 1 head of triceps ? Thanks

I have 20 inch plus arms and for many years pushdowns we’re the only thing my elbows would tolerate. I do 6-10 sets of those and usually 4-5 sets of skull crushers on the smith machine now.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you do these pyramid style starting light and strict…pile on plates!

https://youtu.be/PCawhcVJBTw
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The longhead of the triceps will mainly get worked as you move up in weight and have to stabilize the arm more.

The medial head will generally get worked in the exercise with more time under tension.

As stated above, the lateral head will get the most directed training from its role in applied lockout at the end of each rep. Go to town, but don't try to crush your elbows or anything just to grow that part of the muscle as much as you can.
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 12-06-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The bread and butter exercise that makes most people's triceps blow up is some form of skullcrusher / french press because it works the tricep like you've never worked it before, specifically the long head which is the biggest. The problem is that either people don't keep their elbows in when they perform these, or they can't keep their elbows in when they perform these, and over time this normally becomes an elbow killer. Maybe not even for the first 10 years of training, but over time with less than perfect form it happens.

Not a fan of this guy but he more or less describes the exercise well, except even he doesn't keep his elbows in so... RIP elbows:
    fast forward to minute 4:10

The single best exercise for longevity of the elbows is the cable cross tricep extension IMO:

Great contraction of all 3 heads, zero elbow pain, highly recommend it for an isolation movement
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Great contraction of all 3 heads, zero elbow pain, highly recommend it for an isolation movement
    Seems kind of extravagant for a go-to triceps isolation.

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Seems kind of extravagant for a go-to triceps isolation.
    I just hold onto the ball-thingies, you don't really need the attachments to make it work unless you want to go low reps and you're HUUUUUUGE :-P

Give it a shot at the end of one of your workouts, it's worth trying bro
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My favorite is triceps pushdown. Basically my question is, if triceps pushdowns are enough for overall triceps growth, or is it really isolation for just 1 head of triceps ?
    Pushdowns won’t do much for the long head. Whichever one you choose, you’re not locked into it for life and can run a diff isolation every couple of months or so.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just pick something and hammer it for s couple of sessions then swap it out.

This week i did...

Rolling dumbell extentions ss db hammer curls then Tate press ss Inc db curls at the end of one session

Strict Ez bar curls ss ez bar skull crushers after another

Today i was thinking its gonna cable press down ss with cable curl with my spud strap

Done this for two weeks, so Next week I have no idea what ill do.. Maybe the dip machine ss preacher machine, jm press ss football barbell curl and cable kick backs ss with baysian curls
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 12-07-2021 at 05:07 AM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    I just hold onto the ball-thingies, you don't really need the attachments to make it work unless you want to go low reps and you're HUUUUUUGE :-P

Give it a shot at the end of one of your workouts, it's worth trying bro
    I think it was maybe about 10 years ago I came up with that exercise on my own time to contract the triceps without need to coordinate it at the shoulders. Surprisingly effective mmc from what I remember but I never came back to it.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I still do full bodies and found my tricep long head lacking.

I added some in triceps overhead extensions with cables or bands and saw improvement.

I would finish off with db curls / push down superset one day and ez or bb curls / overhead extensions another day.

Registered User user6JDGJPCXUBT's Avatar
    user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100) user6JDGJPCXUBT is not very well liked. (-100)
    The number one triceps exercise in the world. Almost every trainee in every Gym performs this movement. Grab a rope, bar or handle and extent your arms straight down until lockout. It is simple and effective. The number of exercises that make an effective arm workout can range from 1-3 movements per session, with any more than that resulting excessive fatigue and inconsistent form and technique. It is common that and arm routine consists of 1-3 arm exercises per muscle each workout.

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I dont want to do 3 exercises for triceps, i need just 1 quick isolation at the end of workout.
    Focus on progression on compounds & include an iso to top it off means you can use a few different isos- just alternate them.
    You dont have to do them all in each session.
    While changing exercises too often each session can stuff up progression, isos after your consistent compounds can have this extra flexibility without harming compound progress.

You wont isolate the heads completely but focus will shift depending on the iso.
    Last edited by gomez26; 12-15-2021 at 05:39 PM.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkZB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I added push-ups to my program to also target the triceps.