safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Getting strong key to muscle growth

So the way I've targeted muscled growth is by getting stronger in key movements in a moderate rep range 6-12 rep range. My main focus is on squats, RDL, bench, ohp, rows and chin ups. Then I do some isolation work if I feel they will help me increase the movement I'm wanting to increase. Currently do one set to failure with a back off set to failure for most exercises. Weights are increasing still and made alot of progress in terms of strength. My volume is alot lower than I see with other people but intensity is sky high. I have put on muscle but maybe expected a bit more for my progression.

Weight progression from September 2020 to present date

Ohp 96lbs x 5 - 132lbs x 8
    Bench press 136lbs x 5 - 198lbs x 7
    Yates row 152lbs x 5 - 232lbs x 6
    Chin ups bw x 6 - + 30lbs x 8
    RDL 126lbs x 8 - 280lbs x 8
    Squat 126lbs x 8 - 305lbs x 8

Bodyweight : 170lbs - 196lbs
    Main reason for this thread is if I'm targeting muscle growth the best way by going for strength in these movements, and also if I should continue bulking for another year to continue putting on muscle or start a cut in January and get lean like I planned too? I'm leaning towards another year of bulking and get some more muscle as I wouldn't be happy looking skinny at the end of this. Opinions?

Current physique
    https://imgur.com/a/QV2aVib

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Keep hulking up Buddy.

You’re doing it right. Get big and strong and enjoy the process. That’s my opinion.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Keep hulking up Buddy.

You’re doing it right. Get big and strong and enjoy the process. That’s my opinion.
    Thanks mate. I think that's exactly what I'll do

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    In general from a health standpoint you want your waist circumference to be less than half your height. One other metric you can use; you can consider continuing to bulk until that is no longer the case.

MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First off, not badly done for a little over a year of training. I see that you have already built up a reasonable base of muscle. Development is personal and mostly genetic. But I do think you can speed it up by tweaking you're routine slightly

If you have the time you can add accessory exercises for each larger muscle group. Personally, I would recommend splitting exercises in a 2-day split routine(Upper/Lower or Push/Pull) or even a 3-day split (Push/Pull/Legs).

You mention you do a set to failure before you do a back-off set. To me, that's really backward. Personally, I find to go up in weights, by doing 1 or 2 warm-up sets, before doing a set to failure works a lot better
    Regarding your diet. I would suggest continuing to bulk this year and enjoying the upcoming holidays. But starting the next year with a cut. You would look much better even on a slightly lower fat percentage.
    I myself never understand why you would want to train really hard, and not even look the part aesthetically

Good luck with your training and let me know if you require any further help with you're routine or diet

Originally Posted by MadFury View Post
    First off, not badly done for a little over a year of training. I see that you have already built up a reasonable base of muscle. Development is personal and mostly genetic. But I do think you can speed it up by tweaking you're routine slightly

If you have the time you can add accessory exercises for each larger muscle group. Personally, I would recommend splitting exercises in a 2-day split routine(Upper/Lower or Push/Pull) or even a 3-day split (Push/Pull/Legs).

You mention you do a set to failure before you do a back-off set. To me, that's really backward. Personally, I find to go up in weights, by doing 1 or 2 warm-up sets, before doing a set to failure works a lot better
    Regarding your diet. I would suggest continuing to bulk this year and enjoying the upcoming holidays. But starting the next year with a cut. You would look much better even on a slightly lower fat percentage.
    I myself never understand why you would want to train really hard, and not even look the part aesthetically

Good luck with your training and let me know if you require any further help with you're routine or diet
    Thanks for the reply mate. My training is full body where I do a push,pull, leg compound. I'll do a warm up set or 2 and then I'll do my working sets. I'll give you an example of my overhead press today. 2 warm up sets then 138lbs x 6 (failure) then I did 122lbs x 9 (failure) both sets were PR's 6 rep max and 9 rep max. I'll be trying for 138lbs x 7 and 122lbs x 10 next time. I'll usually work up to 8 reps on first set and increase weight and work up to 12 reps for 2nd set then increase weight. Seems to be working for me. If I fail to increase reps then I add in isolation work to specifically address where I failed. Eg. Tricep work if I fail lockout on ohp or bench. Bicep work if I fail top part of chin ups etc. Do you think if I cut at the start of new year that I've got enough muscle to stop myself looking skinny? Also interested in your example of how you'd set up your training if you were me? Cheers

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yup. Getting stronger in a moderate rep range while eating in a slight surplus is the key driver for a natural lifter. Moving to a split like an upper/lower is a great idea. Once you get really strong consider a heavy/light setup. Good work.

MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MadFury has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate. My training is full body where I do a push,pull, leg compound. I'll do a warm up set or 2 and then I'll do my working sets. I'll give you an example of my overhead press today. 2 warm up sets then 138lbs x 6 (failure) then I did 122lbs x 9 (failure) both sets were PR's 6 rep max and 9 rep max. I'll be trying for 138lbs x 7 and 122lbs x 10 next time. I'll usually work up to 8 reps on first set and increase weight and work up to 12 reps for 2nd set then increase weight. Seems to be working for me. If I fail to increase reps then I add in isolation work to specifically address where I failed. Eg. Tricep work if I fail lockout on ohp or bench. Bicep work if I fail top part of chin ups etc. Do you think if I cut at the start of new year that I've got enough muscle to stop myself looking skinny? Also interested in your example of how you'd set up your training if you were me? Cheers
    Not a problem, brah

Personally I would start to split the workouts up into 2 so you can get a bit more exercise in and more rest for the next workout. Alternate the workouts every other day
    Don't focus too much on strength gain being the main factor in muscle growth. You'd want to adapt to some volume and intensity as well

And don't be too worried about looking skinny if you're cutting. In my personal opinion, again as a natural I'm assuming, you're far better of being slightly smaller but actually looking muscular