Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Squatting more than once a week

After a number of non weight room setbacks over the last few years I need to get my squats squared away and back up to where they were...Clearly once a week does not work for me, I am doing the Russian Squat Program and it is progressing well, but its done in 2 weeks....so after that? I am not lifting with a coach, and dont have plans to anytime soon.

For those that squat more than once how do you do sets/reps/percentages?

I am thinking that I should perform a higher intensity day, for example 3-5 sets of doubles or triples working at 80% or better and adding weight once in a while when it gets to easy. Plus another day of volume with a lower weight, say at 70% for 3 sets of 8-10.

My Week normally is like this (KIM I am doing nothing but squats for the next 2 weeks ATM):

DAY 1
    Power Snatch+pulls (complexes)
    Squat
    Accessory Work: Upper body horizontal push/pull

DAY2
    Good Mornings
    Push presses
    Arm Accessory Work Super or tri sets.

DAY 3
    Power Cleans+RDLS (complexes)
    Add Squats here (volume)?
    Accessory Work Upper body Chin ups (or pull downs)+ DB rows.

This is all manageable at my age so long as I get good rest, and I dont do a bunch of heavy cardio or HIT, basically I walk 30-40 min, row or cycle on my off days...easy stuff.

I am no longer a wanna be weightlifter, but I like how the complexes push a number of buttons and I like the challenge..its a very efficient system. So no more heavy singles etc.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100) Rsurf72 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've been running pull rest legs push rest repeat for a while, 8-12 rep sets. Nothing crazy with volume, but have made nice progress.

So that's squatting every 5 days. I might throw another rest day in after legs, not sure yet. I like to hit them this frequency, only I have a barbell only, so it's hard to lift it up over my head and rest it on my back, then chest right after. Last week I think I got a little intercostal damage, should heal nice.

Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100) Sonchied1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    After a number of non weight room setbacks over the last few years I need to get my squats squared away and back up to where they were...Clearly once a week does not work for me, I am doing the Russian Squat Program and it is progressing well, but its done in 2 weeks....so after that? I am not lifting with a coach, and dont have plans to anytime soon.

For those that squat more than once how do you do sets/reps/percentages?

I am thinking that I should perform a higher intensity day, for example 3-5 sets of doubles or triples working at 80% or better and adding weight once in a while when it gets to easy. Plus another day of volume with a lower weight, say at 70% for 3 sets of 8-10.

My Week normally is like this (KIM I am doing nothing but squats for the next 2 weeks ATM):

DAY 1
    Power Snatch+pulls (complexes)
    Squat
    Accessory Work: Upper body horizontal push/pull

DAY2
    Good Mornings
    Push presses
    Arm Accessory Work Super or tri sets.

DAY 3
    Power Cleans+RDLS (complexes)
    Add Squats here (volume)?
    Accessory Work Upper body Chin ups (or pull downs)+ DB rows.

This is all manageable at my age so long as I get good rest, and I dont do a bunch of heavy cardio or HIT, basically I walk 30-40 min, row or cycle on my off days...easy stuff.

I am no longer a wanna be weightlifter, but I like how the complexes push a number of buttons and I like the challenge..its a very efficient system. So no more heavy singles etc.[/QUOTE]

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    I think that's a good idea. You are basically doing the Heavy-Light-Medium approach, just scrapping the Medium.

Another option for you is the Tactical Barbell Fighter template. It is twice a week periodized strength training, so over the course of three weeks you work with 75-90% your 1RM. For recovery purposes, I like to use a Wendler training max for these so 90% of my 1RM. Do your Olympic lifts, hit your squats, and call it a day.

Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    I think that's a good idea. You are basically doing the Heavy-Light-Medium approach, just scrapping the Medium.
    Or arguably skipping the light: 3x10 gives you a decent amount of volume. What do you think the effects may be in skipping one of the HLM days? I was wondering about doing a 3x5 and then a 3x10 weekly.
    "Is he an honest man? If he is, you should respect him and let him continue with his work. Is he weak? If it were so, it would not be brave thing to do to push a man who is falling."

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you're making good progress with the program you are doing would you consider just running it again when you finish it?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just use a different variation and different protocol for each day.

It does have to be HLM stuff at all, but you probably want to vary the stress enough to get a different effect (unless running high frequency apa Bulgarian but that's a whole different story)
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post

Another option for you is the Tactical Barbell Fighter template. It is twice a week periodized strength training, so over the course of three weeks you work with 75-90% your 1RM. For recovery purposes, I like to use a Wendler training max for these so 90% of my 1RM. Do your Olympic lifts, hit your squats, and call it a day.
    Hey Grouchy! You have mentioned the Tactical Barbell program several times, I am really going to have to make time to research it. I gave 531 a good go a number of years ago, but I found the jumps in the percentages too much, and possibly not enough stimulation. My best progress ever was starting strength years ago, but there is no way I could eat myself to a mediocre squat now notwithstanding recovery. I am wondering as you age, your CNS needs to be have an increased awareness of what you are expecting of it or it falls off really quickly...you can get untrained really quickly. So its a matter of finding more ways to squat, make progress without overloading it.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you're making good progress with the program you are doing would you consider just running it again when you finish it?
    The Russian Squat method was never really intended to be run for longer than the 6 weeks it takes place. for me its probably not sustainable so two or three in a row might be too much. I think You have to plateau a bit for awhile and recover and recalculate your new sets/reps with your new squat training max and work in some percentage range for awhile with smaller increases. I suppose after a few months I could give it a go again. So far its the shock I needed to get serious. again. Keep in mind in order to do this program you may have to lay off your other lifting activities, especially in week 5 and 6. You dont want to give up everything else for too long either.

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If operating on outside of an established program, I like using Prilepin's chart when I'm hitting a lift more than twice per week. Then I'm not shooting in the dark when it comes to choosing reps.

http://mass-lift.com/blog/2020/04/20...-powerlifting/
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

Originally Posted by mdonnelly80 View Post
    If operating on outside of an established program, I like using Prilepin's chart when I'm hitting a lift more than twice per week. Then I'm not shooting in the dark when it comes to choosing reps.

http://mass-lift.com/blog/2020/04/20...-powerlifting/
    Thanks for the remind.

Zach Telander has a lecture on programming for maximum strength using Prilepin, no direct guidance on squatting more than once a week, at least that I understood. I will just go lighter-with higher volume on the second day, just to keep the system stimulated.

Last edited by Cantplankwell; 11-30-2021 at 01:23 PM.

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Thanks for the remind.

Zach Telander has a lecture on programming for maximum strength using Prilepin, no direct guidance on squatting more than once a week, at least that I understood. I will just go lighter-with higher volume on the second day, just to keep the system stimulated.

No problem. When you dig into many programs, you'll find that they're guided by Prilepin.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins