Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I need an exercise bike. Which one?

I want 2 arm levers so I can work my back and chest at the same time.

It needs a rounded, padded seat. Most the seats are flat on top and 90 degree drop off at the edge, which is not comfortable.

I'm hoping for a $150 price.

I wish I could get magnetic resistance. Those are quiet. All I see are friction straps and fans. I guess a fan would last longer.

How loud are the fans?

I know friction straps are embarassingly loud and annoying enough I would not use them for 30 minutes. I also read the friction straps wear out fast if you use the bike.

Maybe a more important question: is attempting to use my chest and back for fat burn and conditioning even a worthwhile goal? Or do they give out at 20 minutes?

I also saw bikes with upper hand pedals, but they cost a fortune. Also some inexpensive ones marketed to seniors. I guess that means not much resistance.

I saw some $20 floor pedals that can be used with a chair. Maybe 2 of them to get the arms. But where to anchor them.

I did use an arm lever bike once. The full body involvement felt nice, but I stopped after 5 minutes because of the noise.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For $150, you're only option is to watch the classifieds like a hawk, and jump on deals faster than anyone else.

Vintage Airdynes are probably your best bet, as they're plentiful, and parts are readily available. They're fan styled, they're somewhat loud, the belt drive versions are quieter.

I've had a couple of the lesser known fan bikes, I've bought them for as little as $20, and they're great. But the electronics are useless, and trying to get modern electronics on them isn't that easy. I've owned DP Meter and Wynmor Wyntone, I'm sure both bikes are the same thing, just branded differently, and both mine were marked Made in USA.

grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) grumpytude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was also looking at exercise bikes. I know its not what you were looking for but I ended up ordering a Concept2 BikeErg. So many choices to choose from in the genre of exercise equipment.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    I'm hoping for a $150 price.

How loud are the fans?

Maybe a more important question: is attempting to use my chest and back for fat burn and conditioning even a worthwhile goal? Or do they give out at 20 minutes?
    $150 Bike

It isn't likely that you are going to get a good quality used bike in that price range.

Loud Fan Bike

Yes, the are going to be loud.

Anything with a fan, like a rower, is going to make noice.

Chest and Back for Fat Burning

Diet is the key to fat loss.

Exercise contributes but only minutely.

Even when using the back, chest and legs.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by grumpytude View Post
    I was also looking at exercise bikes. I know its not what you were looking for but I ended up ordering a Concept2 BikeErg. So many choices to choose from in the genre of exercise equipment.
    Concept Rower

Good quality piece that will last you forever.

They are constantly in demand. So, the resell value it is good; should you ever decide to sell it.

Your heart and lungs really don't know which piece of equipment you are on.

No matter which cardio piece you are on, the cardiovascular benefits are the same.

Kenny Croxdale

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    $300+ is definitely out of my price range. I live a few blocks from a gym with bikes, but they don't have arm attachments. I'd also ride more if I had a bike right here.

I have an inexpensive bike that is quiet. Maybe mafnetic resistance or well designed friction. It is light weight, smooth, and small.

I'm thinking of building and attaching wooden tie rods and handles. I almost got it designed. Wood rods, metal pins, olive oil lube, attached where the handlebars were and either to the bottom of the pedals or straddling where the pedals connect to the crank arms.

There are some fan bikes on amazon for $89-$149, but I don't know if they are any good. 4 stars, and many reviewers say they only took off one star since the price was so low.

The arm attachments might not burn more fat, as my legs are already demanding lots of oxygen. I just wonder if I'd have more fun getting my whole body into it. Maybe more physical conditioning this way.

Does the chest have any slow twitch muscle fibers?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/mu...and-shoulders/

That suggests 40% of chest fibers and 33% of triceps fibers are slow twitch.

Also says intermediate twitch fibers are good up to 30 minutes, and anything longer exercises slow twitch. When I pass the 30 minute mark, I'll reduce the load.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-28-2021 at 09:22 AM.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IMO, a Concept II rower or an Airdyne bike are the best choices. The rower isn’t within your budget so that leaves an Airdyne. You can find used ones for $40-$100, they work great and last forever. Yes the older chain drive model is louder than a new belt drive model but not an issue IMO
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    IMO, a Concept II rower or an Airdyne bike are the best choices. The rower isn’t within your budget so that leaves an Airdyne. You can find used ones for $40-$100, they work great and last forever. Yes the older chain drive model is louder than a new belt drive model but not an issue IMO

Thanks. I'll look into airdyne. I also see this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Air-Fan-U...e&athbdg=L1400

I used the rower at my gym. I really liked how I could just jump right on, instead of waiting for the computer to boot up like with their bikes.

I also rode the rower backwards, to work my hamstrings and abs and see if I could work my chest. I then realized that forward works my lats not midback, and backward works the deltoids not chest. Holding my arms high enough to engage my chest would tax my delts too much unless poles were used.

I think the handles need to be wide enough to engage the chest and mid back, since the rower just gets the lats and lower back. I'm also seeing how they angle stuff to manipulate the path. I think I want a continuous slight downward path.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-28-2021 at 04:13 PM.

BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BiGx5MurF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I used the rower at my gym. I really liked how I could just jump right on, instead of waiting for the computer to boot up like with their bikes.

I also rode the rower backwards, to work my hamstrings and abs and see if I could work my chest. I then realized that forward works my lats not midback, and backward works the deltoids not chest. Holding my arms high enough to engage my chest would tax my delts too much unless poles were used.

I think the handles need to be wide enough to engage the chest and mid back, since the rower just gets the lats and lower back. I'm also seeing how they angle stuff to manipulate the path. I think I want a continuous slight downward path.
    I'm pretty sure that bike is a rebranded version of the Marcy NS1000. Which I've owned, I paid $12 for it brand new in box, and felt ripped off. It's a terrible machine, fan is for looks, creates no resistance. Actual resistance comes from a tension belt. Tubing very thin, the fan shroud was falling apart out of the box.

Marcy NS1000 https://imgur.com/a/bbecM7s

The arm attachments might not burn more fat, as my legs are already demanding lots of oxygen.
    Let go back over this again. Exercise isn't that effective at burning body fat and losing weight.

As the sayings go...

"Abs are made at the in the kitchen."

"You can't out train a bad diet."

"The best exercise for weight loss is pushing yourself back from the table."

Thus, while exercise can contribute to weight loss, the contribution is minimal.

Also says intermediate twitch fibers are good up to 30 minutes, and anything longer exercises slow twitch. When I pass the 30 minute mark, I'll reduce the load.
    Explosive Fast Type IIb/x Muscle Fiber burn out in 15 seconds or less.

Fast Twitch Type IIa Muscle Fiber burn out in under, around 2.5 minutes.

Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber the primary fiber for anything over 2.5 minutes.

Thus, if you riding a bike, doing anything, for 30 minutes, you are working the Slow Twitch Type I Muscle Fiber.

To understand this in more detail, you need to google, "The Size Principle".

There are some fan bikes on amazon for $89-$149, but I don't know if they are any good.
    These bike are crap.

A bike that cost $89 cost less that $45 to make. No one can make a good, quality bike for that price.

Bike like that end up a clothes hangers; which is all they are good for.

Kenny Croxdale

Originally Posted by BiGx5MurF View Post
    I'm pretty sure that bike is a rebranded version of the Marcy NS1000. Which I've owned, I paid $12 for it brand new in box, and felt ripped off. It's a terrible machine, fan is for looks, creates no resistance. Actual resistance comes from a tension belt. Tubing very thin, the fan shroud was falling apart out of the box.

Marcy NS1000 https://imgur.com/a/bbecM7s
    This illustrates my point regarding cheap bikes.

Kenny Croxdale

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don’t buy a cheap bike. If buying used( which your budget requires) get an older Schwinn Airdyne.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel