Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Being consistent with training is the key, there are times when I don't feel in the mood to lift but I force myself past it and usually end up with a great workout!
    Same for me Clive. I try to never miss a workout unless it's a day to play golf. Now that cold weather is here in NJ, I usually do 5 days per week and try to do some family stuff on the weekends. Once you miss a workout, it's easier to justify missing another one. Stay consistent.

Firm
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. -A. R. Bernard

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
    Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000) Darkius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol, cane sugar, and other junk. No cheat meals. If you want to stay fit into old age, that will need to happen.

My problem is old injuries that keep me from working all my muscles, which in turn means i can't diet without losing muscle.

I need to invent a butterfly device.
    Novice lifter who sticks to the basics 3x per week but likes to theorize about improvements while recovering.

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it has to be a passion, I couldn't do without it
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    I have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol, cane sugar, and other junk. No cheat meals. If you want to stay fit into old age, that will need to happen.
    One can't stay fit into old age if they have an occasional drink, any sugar or "junk" food sometimes? One can't stuff their face for one meal either?

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    One can't stay fit into old age if they have an occasional drink, any sugar or "junk" food sometimes? One can't stuff their face for one meal either?
    Of course one can. The rules don't change. I eat whatever I want and have a drink whenever I feel like it.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brankov88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well I am almost 34 and I have to say if I eat junk food and drink cola/fanta for a month I gain a lot of fat and lose muscle. Unlike 10 years ago where it did not bother me at all …

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by norsedanebro View Post
    Anyway, to the question, what are your best tips, taking everything into perspective, to staying fit in your 40s and beyond.
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    My problem is old injuries that keep me from working all my muscles, which in turn means i can't diet without losing muscle.
    For me, between age and an inventory of injuries, the epiphany was staying away from free weights and transitioning to those stationary weight machines. My "cardio" is supersetting between agonistic pairs. So far so good, it's been 15 months (knock on wood) with no injuries/reinjuries and progress has been decent.
    joe Henry

PhotoChopin' That Angus OutdoorsBrah's Avatar
    OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OutdoorsBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The key is common sense.

1.) Calories in to calories out. You either dial it in or get fat.

2.) Lift heavy (within reason) to maximize test levels and see your endo if your test levels get to low and go on TRT.

3.) Common sense lifestyle, mitigating stress, cutting our drama and b/s (this should be done in your early 30's max).

Essentially, common sense. If your over the age of 40, you should have yourself and life dialed in to a point where anything preventable that you lack is 100% your fault and can fixed with perspective and habit changes. Thats really all there is to it... common sense and no excuses because no-one wants to hear them especially at 40+ years of age. They will just make you look undisciplined and incompetent.
    Outdoors brah is a purely fictitious persona. Any contextual or graphic creation, opinion, or post made by Outdoorsbrah is not a reflection of real life or reality in any manner, expressed nor implied.

*Photoshop / PhotoChop Crew*
    *High Test Crew*
    *Graphic Design Crew*

Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Squiddy70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For me, the gym and kitchen are attached at the hip. I can diet if I'm exercising. I can work out if I'm eating good. It starts with breakfast for me. If I eat a good breakfast, the rest of the day falls in place well although I have a tendency to want to snack in the evening. As long as those snacks are limited to an oreo cookie or two, I'm fine.

croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some good comments.

I'm curious, how many of those commenting here still deadlift? If you do, do you go heavy, conventional/sumo?

Seem to come across a few older lifters who would likely advise NOT deadlifting as a tip to staying fit above 40

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by croydon86 View Post
    I'm curious, how many of those commenting here still deadlift? If you do, do you go heavy, conventional/sumo?
    Seem to come across a few older lifters who would likely advise NOT deadlifting as a tip to staying fit above 40
    I'm one of those old guys (75). Although I do recognize the value of free weights and compound lifts I feel those old guy stationary weight machines reduce the risk of injury. The years do take their toll; loss of flexibility, arthritis and an inventory of injuries all add to the risk.

That said I did start playing with deadlifts. With caution and respect. Doing the movement with no weight (a shadow lift), then a broom stick, then an empty bar. I'm not competing so no one says that I can't use a hex bar (or lift off of a platform to reduce ROM as needed). Sumo, conventional, narrow stance, wide stance, toes out; we're all built different. It's about finding something, anything that works for us. It's just about doing what's safe and/or comfortable ... for me. I'm not shooting for heavy, I stick to about 2x body weight.
    Last edited by joewattie; 01-12-2022 at 05:44 AM.
    joe Henry

JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clive View Post
    To be honest I've never lifted heavy and I've reach my age without any serious joint problems and maintaining the muscle I built over the years.
    Being consistent with training is the key, there are times when I don't feel in the mood to lift but I force myself past it and usually end up with a great workout!
    Sorry man, my phone messed up and didn’t finish what I was saying… As long as there is progressive overload there is no need to go real heavy. Although I do like the 5 rep range. But we weren’t made to only go heavy or only go with a moderate weight or only do endurance work. Good to remember that the body (especially muscles) adapts to everything.
    ~Chill Crew~ (⌐■_■)
    Grateful family member checking in ‎ シ ♡
    Be the reason someone smiles today

Fight the good fight every moment
    Every minute, every day
    It's your only way -Triumph

JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaymzJ has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by croydon86 View Post
    Some good comments.

I’m 40 and I still love to deadlift. I very rarely go near my 1 rep max except to test where I am at with my strength. If you do decide to go heavy with deads, I would highly recommend only doing a few reps. Save your back, save your joints, save your ego too.
    ~Chill Crew~ (⌐■_■)
    Grateful family member checking in ‎ シ ♡
    Be the reason someone smiles today

Every minute, every day
    It's your only way -Triumph

croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) croydon86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JaymzJ View Post
    I’m 40 and I still love to deadlift. I very rarely go near my 1 rep max except to test where I am at with my strength. If you do decide to go heavy with deads, I would highly recommend only doing a few reps. Save your back, save your joints, save your ego too.
    Completely agree.

I'm 35 and have been deadlifting for years but the older I get, the more aware I am aware of any niggling pains or in the case of deadlift, my lower back. Even with great form, when it comes to heavy loads it is very easy for your form to be compromised, the deadlift is a very unforgiving exercise.

I've been reading more and more about the risk vs reward ratio of the deadlift and it seems from a hypertrophy perspective, it isn't that rewarding. I've started to care less and less about hitting new deadlift PR's which is why I think I'm starting to question if not for strength, why continue doing it?

I'm not ready to give it up completely however as like you, I do enjoy doing it, but will continue doing it with manageable weight so as to not put myself under any unnecessary strain.

Ive also always lifted conventional but might explore sumo and see how that goes.

corvye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    Date women half your age.
    This is the only reply that matters