• A

1 50.00%
  • B

0 0%
  • C

0 0%
  • D

1 50.00%
    Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Injury risk based on parameters

Find below four possible scenarios:

A | B | C | D
    Reps 3 | 5 | 10 | 20
    Sets 32 | 20 | 12 | 8
    Weight(kg) 125 | 117 | 100 |80

If we take the bench press, as an example, in scenario A we would be doing 32 sets of 3 reps each with 125 kg on the bar once a week. We would allow this volume to be distributed in two different workouts.

The tonnage in each case amounts to roughly 12000 kg per week. In which case would we expect to see more injuries in the long run?
    "Is he an honest man? If he is, you should respect him and let him continue with his work. Is he weak? If it were so, it would not be brave thing to do to push a man who is falling."

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I misvoted. A would likely be worst. C looks easiest though. D might be safer and more likely to grow muscle.

I'd have to looks at a 1 rep calculator to compare C and D. Those are the weights I lift, and close to those reps. But I stay at 9 sets per week.

The 100 pounds reinjured my right wrist a few days ago. 80 pounds was more fun. I enjoy the burn and the extra breathing, within reason.

Who cares if I don't grow quite as fast. If I have fun, I'll keep coming back. 10 rep failure is not fun. No burn, just wrist strain.

Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I calculated the numbers to the exact 1RM equivalent. So if you go to failure in one scenario, you would likely go to failure on another.

The format came out strange. Rewriting:

Scenario A 32 sets, 3 reps, 125kg.
    Scenario B 20 sets, 5 reps, 117kg.
    Scenario C 12 sets, 10 reps, 100kg.
    Scenario D 8 sets, 20 reps, 80kg.
    "Is he an honest man? If he is, you should respect him and let him continue with his work. Is he weak? If it were so, it would not be brave thing to do to push a man who is falling."

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I plan to stick to D. My wrists are complaining when I get close to 10 reps. I enjoy the burn I get at higher reps.

30 reps has a more intense burn that my biceps don't like. But my chest handles burn till failure at 50 reps. Each muscle group tolerates lactic acid differently. My biceps are ok at 20 reps to failure.

With low rep, you don't know you worked out till you get sore 48 hours later. Well, there is the getting out of breath for a minute after. But high rep tells me in the muscle right then.

Arnold said do high rep stuff for the first 6 months till your joints get stronger. You can always do low rep later. Too many people get impatient. The CNS adaptation is faster than your joint recovery rate.

Also, explosive lifts, which often happen with 1 second concentric, do build strength faster, but they also hurt joints more. People get too focused on 8 week studies that find the fastest muscle or strength gains. They don't think of the long term. A 2-0-2 temp is best. Slow enough you won't explode at the direction change, fast enough you can tell when you are near failure.

Also, going to failure is bad, even if some say you can get strong sooner. Stop 1 rep short of failure, which is when maximum concentric effort takes about 2-2.5 seconds to perform. The problem with the failure rep is you concentrate so hard that you stop noticing what other body parts are doing and can injure yourself if your grip changes or you recruit a weaker muscle to help.

It is never too late to switch to high rep to help your joints for 6 months. Once they are strong, do a mix of high and low rep, not 100% low rep, if you want to stay injury free.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-27-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Forearms handle and need more sets than arms and shoulders,
    Arms and shoulders handle and need more sets than torso,
    Torso handles and needs more sets than legs, and
    Legs handle more heavy sets than joints do.

Muscles repair and grow faster than joints if you work them at low reps. At high reps, both recover at nearer the same speed.

Very informative, thanks.