EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

About what BF% would you ballpark a 50% waist-height ratio?

Since fat is distributed differently on an individual basis, there's no way to get more than a generalization of this, but with the waist measurement for males being typically the best readily measurable barometer of overall bodyfat levels in spite of this, what kinds of correlations could one typically draw between the two?

For instance, 20% BF is typically regarded as the fence-line between the beginnings of overweight and lean, respectively, whereas a 50% ratio (per Heisman's guide) seems to be regarded similarly; so, what kinds of correlations do those with a trained eye for evaluating this find between the two?

As a metric, waist-height is probably more meaningful as it is easily derived and composed of objective measurements, while BF% is only a guess and more susceptible to illusion.

Curious if there's any statistically meaningful relationship between the two.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Since fat is distributed differently on an individual basis, there's no way to get more than a generalization of this, but with the waist measurement for males being typically the best readily measurable barometer of overall bodyfat levels in spite of this, what kinds of correlations could one typically draw between the two?

For instance, 20% BF is typically regarded as the fence-line between the beginnings of overweight and lean, respectively, whereas a 50% ratio (per Heisman's guide) seems to be regarded similarly; so, what kinds of correlations do those with a trained eye for evaluating this find between the two?

As a metric, waist-height is probably more meaningful as it is easily derived and composed of objective measurements, while BF% is only a guess and more susceptible to illusion.

Curious if there's any statistically meaningful relationship between the two.
    Have you seen this?

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

It at least uses both waist and height as input. For me it is extremely inaccurate and puts me at sub 10% even though I am somewhere in the high teens.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Have you seen this?

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

It at least uses both waist and height as input. For me it is extremely inaccurate and puts me at sub 10% even though I am somewhere in the high teens.
    Cool tool, thanks.

But yeah, I think it's got me inaccurately lean at 18.6%. I don't think I could be below 20% yet, even though I did measure at just about a 50% waist this morning.

It would help to know what specific things to look for at 20% specifically - I've inaccurately thought that I was about there on the selection bias that it meant "merely" kind of fat, and that I therefore couldn't be that much above it, when I was perhaps even at 30% or certainly at least close to it. At the same time, I can't see too much of a difference between 12-18%, it just looks "lean" to me without being freaky stage lean.

EDIT: And the example photos are hard to go off of, since even moderate differences in frame and overall development can skew the visibility and apparent level of fat.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cool tool, thanks.

But yeah, I think it's got me inaccurately lean at 18.6%. I don't think I could be below 20% yet, even though I did measure at just about a 50% waist this morning.

It would help to know what specific things to look for at 20% specifically - I've inaccurately thought that I was about there on the selection bias that it meant "merely" kind of fat, and that I therefore couldn't be that much above it, when I was perhaps even at 30% or certainly at least close to it. At the same time, I can't see too much of a difference between 12-18%, it just looks "lean" to me without being freaky stage lean.

EDIT: And the example photos are hard to go off of, since even moderate differences in frame and overall development can skew the visibility and apparent level of fat.
    i'd say 20% is generally little to no ab definition even in good lighting, but you still don't look too pudgy. just look at examples of 15% bf, blur out the abs and add a small bit of fat everywhere else... i'm somewhat close to 20% in my avi for reference

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    i'd say 20% is generally little to no ab definition even in good lighting, but you still don't look too pudgy. just look at examples of 15% bf, blur out the abs and add a small bit of fat everywhere else... i'm somewhat close to 20% in my avi for reference
    You look about 16% in your avi if I had to guess (but I'm not especially good at it).

I don't know.. what about "powerlifting abs?" I have visible belly fat but in good lighting there's still some kind of semblance of ab definition - you can see them as a unit at least. And there are actually borderline obese powerlifters who have clearly visible abs. Doesn't mean they're not fat, of course, but what does that say for using ab visibility as a meaningful criterion across the board?

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cool tool, thanks.

My heuristic is 20% = Flat stomach but little muscle definition. As BF% drops definition increases, if BF% goes up belly grows bigger and bigger.

If someone claims to be sub 15% I expect clear ab definition.

But everyone is different and there is always some weird exception.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

For instance, not even direct lighting and they're not too far over the horizon, but you can also see that I'm still relatively soft elsewhere, so I wouldn't say 20% yet. This is at ~232 by the way.
    Attached Images

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You look about 16% in your avi if I had to guess (but I'm not especially good at it).

I don't know.. what about "powerlifting abs?" I have visible belly fat but in good lighting there's still some kind of semblance of ab definition - you can see them as a unit at least. And there are actually borderline obese powerlifters who have clearly visible abs. Doesn't mean they're not fat, of course, but what does that say for using ab visibility as a meaningful criterion across the board?
    keyword "look". you can play with angles, lighting, pump and other stuff to make it look like you're lower bf% than you actually are

an average lifter (not you) can use ab visibility as a meaningful criterion imo. if you are fat-ish with abs, i think you can assume that you have the infamous powerlifter abs and your bf% is over 20. you seem to be around 22% to me in the pic you posted. if you were, say, 27%, your belly and hips would be way more pudgy
    Last edited by faithbrah; 11-24-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kiffy200 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    keyword "look". you can play with angles, lighting, pump and other stuff to make it look like you're lower bf% than you actually are

an average lifter (not you) can use ab visibility as a meaningful criterion imo. if you are fat-ish with abs, i think you can assume that you have the infamous powerlifter abs and your bf% is over 20. you seem to be around 22% to me in the pic you posted. if you were, say, 27%, your belly would and hips would be way more pudgy
    Amen to this!

I have a four pack that shows at around 30% body fat tensed and anything under that they are always there.

I wouldn't go off abs at all.

Does it really matter what % your fats at though? Surely getting lean and looking how you want I'd the goal, who cares about the fat percentage as its so hard to predict even lean.

Originally Posted by Kiffy200 View Post
    Amen to this!

I have a four pack that shows at around 30% body fat tensed and anything under that they are always there.

I wouldn't go off abs at all.

Does it really matter what % your fats at though? Surely getting lean and looking how you want I'd the goal, who cares about the fat percentage as its so hard to predict even lean.
    Yeah, good point. I guess I'm just looking for some kind of objective signpost to stay underneath so it doesn't creep back up and escape my notice gradually.