Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Hard to progress on ohp

How tf last workout I did 100 pounds for 4 on the ohp and this time I did 100x3 how tf is this happening on a bulk(stupid body!)

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome to the club. OHP is hard.

Performance from literally one workout to another is too little data and contingent upon too many factors to be meaningful. Sleep, quality and quantity of nutrition, mood, mindfulness, fatigue management, can all and each greatly affect performance from one day to another.

We need more details on your stats, routine, diet, and other major variables to be able to give you meaningful feeedback.

And again, OHP is one of the hardest lifts out there. I would not expect good progress to come easily.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Darkseidd21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Welcome to the club. OHP is hard.

Performance from literally one workout to another is too little data and contingent upon too many factors to be meaningful. Sleep, quality and quantity of nutrition, mood, mindfulness, fatigue management, can all and each greatly affect performance from one day to another.

We need more details on your stats, routine, diet, and other major variables to be able to give you meaningful feeedback.

And again, OHP is one of the hardest lifts out there. I would not expect good progress to come easily.
    well I do 3x a week mostly compound movements incline bench ohp weighted pull ups and dips split squats.. Very litlle isolation(rear delts side delts..)I'm 5'11 around 122lbs, I'm currently on a bulk obviously but I also do like 15000k steps per day because I have physical job my diet is 95% clean whole foods.. Here are my lifts
    Incline Bench 55kg x 4-5
    Ohp 45kg x 4
    Weighted dips 32.5kg x 5-6
    Weighted pull ups 17.5kg x 5
    Split squats 22.5kg per hand for 6 reps
    I don't do deadlifts cause lower back..
    Also goals for my lifts are
    Incline 100kg x 5
    Ohp 75kg x 5
    Pull ups 45 kg x 5
    And dips 100jg x 5

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    IME, OHP needs to be fed with both volume and food. I've worked hard to drive my OHP numbers up and have gone down a lot of different paths. Eating and cranking up the volume are the only things that have provided consistent gains.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

Originally Posted by mdonnelly80 View Post
    IME, OHP needs to be fed with both volume and food. I've worked hard to drive my OHP numbers up and have gone down a lot of different paths. Eating and cranking up the volume are the only things that have provided consistent gains.
    Always glad to hear someone still appreciate the ohp although it's very tough and dangerous exercise. My goals is 135 x 5 for the next 3 months I know it sounds kinda unrealistic but it is what it is. Also I do ohp 2x a week first on the workouts try to get 6 on the first set then i finished it off for 2x8 and if I get all of the sets and reps I bump the weight by 5 pounds is that good or should I try something else?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is OHP the only kind of vertical pressing you do?

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Is OHP the only kind of vertical pressing you do?
    Yeah what else should I be doing? (for now)

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darkseidd21 View Post
    Yeah what else should I be doing? (for now)
    Training the muscles that contribute to it.

DBs are the best way to train the delts themselves. High incline DB presses work great for the front delts and upper chest. Front raises are the best way to train the front delts in isolation in their range of motion.

Lateral raises will train the side delts and there are endless ways to train the rear delts. Triceps need some love too since they contribute to lockout.

Then you have your traps/upper back muscle, all of which have to contribute mightily to OHP.
    So you’re looking at rows to accomplish that.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Training the muscles that contribute to it.

DBs are the best way to train the delts themselves. High incline DB presses work great for the front delts and upper chest. Front raises are the best way to train the front delts in isolation in their range of motion.

Lateral raises will train the side delts and there are endless ways to train the rear delts. Triceps need some love too since they contribute to lockout.

Then you have your traps/upper back muscle, all of which have to contribute mightily to OHP.
    So you’re looking at rows to accomplish that.
    I neglected rows which is big mistake and don't do any dB overhead work but I do heavy dips and incline bench and I do high rep rear delt every workout cause I know how important are for shoulder health.. Also is 135 x 5 a realistic goal for the next 3 months or am I aiming to high?

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I neglected rows which is big mistake and don't do any dB overhead work but I do heavy dips and incline bench and I do high rep rear delt every workout cause I know how important are for shoulder health.. Also is 135 x 5 a realistic goal for the next 3 months or am I aiming to high?
    In a rare instance of accord, I agree with BeginnerGainz about lateral raises being crucial, but primarily because they are undertrained relative to the anterior deltoids in this lift but still contribute to it, such that specificity here really makes a difference. Rear delts and biceps would probably be second and third on the list following the same reasoning.

Definitely don't skip rows!
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Sounds possible to me.

Dips are good but you could run into cumulative fatigue if all you ever do is press.

incline bench is a solid choice for assistance (and as a main lift IMO)

-Sir Isaac Newton

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My last workout I did 20 reps of OHP and 18 of AP. Today I could only do 18 OHP but 19 AP.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For traveling workers.

In a rare instance of accord, I agree with BeginnerGainz about lateral raises being crucial, but primarily because they are undertrained relative to the anterior deltoids in this lift but still contribute to it, such that specificity here really makes a difference. Rear delts and biceps would probably be second and third on the list following the same reasoning.

Definitely don't skip rows!
    I will add them from the next week for sure and I'll try to hit my goal for the ohp. Thanks!

Sounds possible to me.

Dips are good but you could run into cumulative fatigue if all you ever do is press.

incline bench is a solid choice for assistance (and as a main lift IMO)
    incline is more like my replacement for the regular bench and I would like to get to 225 x 5 in the next 7-8 months and then maybe focus on other variations of the bench press..

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    My last workout I did 20 reps of OHP and 18 of AP. Today I could only do 18 OHP but 19 AP.
    I was so pissed today after failing on the 1st set to get 4 hell I even thought I would get 5 maybe I'm overreacting for no reason

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with BeginnerGainz

This can happen when you balance your eggs in the wrong way.

I will add them from the next week for sure and I'll try to hit my goal for the ohp. Thanks!
    I like it. Never was a fan of flat bench personally.

Best of luck!

-Sir Isaac Newton

I like it. Never was a fan of flat bench personally.

Best of luck!
    Thanks

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Always glad to hear someone still appreciate the ohp although it's very tough and dangerous exercise. My goals is 135 x 5 for the next 3 months I know it sounds kinda unrealistic but it is what it is. Also I do ohp 2x a week first on the workouts try to get 6 on the first set then i finished it off for 2x8 and if I get all of the sets and reps I bump the weight by 5 pounds is that good or should I try something else?
    Here's how an example of how I program OHP when the lift is lagging:

Incline day (I don't flat bench)
    -Incline: 5/3/1 waves
    -OHP: 5x5-10
    -Press assistance work (DBs, close grip bench, floor press): 3x5-10
    -All presses super-setted with a back exercise of some kind
    -Limited bicep/tricep work

OHP Day
    -OHP: 5/3/1 waves

I can only follow this for one 5/3/1 cycle (a month) because the incline and OHP volume beats the hell out of my shoulders (especially my front delts). But, this has never failed to put some weight on my OHP. And, the volume absolutely dictates that I eat and recover because I get ridiculously sore.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Like barbell curls, pullups, shrugs, rows, etc - the press thankfully is another lift you can use a supplemental technique on when your strength leaves you, to finish the rep target. Do the strict reps til you feel yourself dyin, then push press the rest of the set. Might be a little dirty, but you'll hit those marks and walk home with some good volume under your belt. Eventually you won't need to push press any reps for that weight anymore, and you can move up and try the process again.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Here's how an example of how I program OHP when the lift is lagging:

Incline day (I don't flat bench)
    -Incline: 5/3/1 waves

OHP Day
    -OHP: 5/3/1 waves

I can only follow this for one 5/3/1 cycle (a month) because the incline and OHP volume beats the hell out of my shoulders (especially my front delts). But, this has never failed to put some weight on my OHP. And, the volume absolutely dictates that I eat and recover because I get ridiculously sore.
    I like it a lot how u structured ur workouts after getting my lifts to a decent numbers I'll try this thanks

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Like barbell curls, pullups, shrugs, rows, etc - the press thankfully is another lift you can use a supplemental technique on when your strength leaves you, to finish the rep target. Do the strict reps til you feel yourself dyin, then push press the rest of the set. Might be a little dirty, but you'll hit those marks and walk home with some good volume under your belt. Eventually you won't need to push press any reps for that weight anymore, and you can move up and try the process again.
    I'm a bit anxious about the push press cause I don't know the correct technique,not saying that I do the ohp with perfect technique but I'll learn it and try this method it sounds like a rest pause for the ohp thanks

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm a bit anxious about the push press cause I don't know the correct technique,not saying that I do the ohp with perfect technique but I'll learn it and try this method it sounds like a rest pause for the ohp thanks
    Push pressing is quite a valuable tool to keep on the backburner for breaking stalls, and there's gonna be quite a few of them that happen with this exercise. Learning the technique to it is such a good investment of your time.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

I like it a lot how u structured ur workouts after getting my lifts to a decent numbers I'll try this thanks
    Honestly, SS helped drive my OHP numbers because of the frequency.

paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paulinkansas has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Listen to some music that gives you energy. I just did 21 reps of OHP today (Saturday). That's a personal best. I got pumped up listening to "The Warriors Call" by Volbeat first. Last Wednesday I could only do 18.
    Furnished rental houses in Coffeyville Kansas. Bills paid, weekly rates, full kitchens, washer/dryer, cable/wifi. For traveling workers.

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Push pressing is quite a valuable tool to keep on the backburner for breaking stalls, and there's gonna be quite a few of them that happen with this exercise. Learning the technique to it is such a good investment of your time.
    Yeah that's the easy part finding someone who can show me correctly is the hard part, I know there are lot of videos on yt I'll check some..

Honestly, SS helped drive my OHP numbers because of the frequency.
    I think SS should be like on the door of every gym, it's so simple and effective but no one wants simple this days..

Listen to some music that gives you energy. I just did 21 reps of OHP today (Saturday). That's a personal best. I got pumped up listening to "The Warriors Call" by Volbeat first. Last Wednesday I could only do 18.
    21 reps from 18 that's great wow big jump gonna go for 6 tomorrow I'm stuck at 4 but gonna gonna try it tomorrow and see where I am at again after failing for 5 last workout.

21 reps from 18 that's great wow big jump gonna go for 6 tomorrow I'm stuck at 4 but gonna gonna try it tomorrow and see where I am at again after failing for 5 last workout.
    If I hit 21 reps in 2 consecutive workouts with the same weight, the next workout I increase the weight and go with much fewer reps. Something like 12. I work my way up to 20+ reps over time. That is my progression scheme. You should have some progression scheme.

If I hit 21 reps in 2 consecutive workouts with the same weight, the next workout I increase the weight and go with much fewer reps. Something like 12. I work my way up to 20+ reps over time. That is my progression scheme. You should have some progression scheme.
    of course I have it too when I hit 6 reps on first set I add 5lbs next workout, and on the 2nd and 3rd set I aim for 8 reps each, also I add 5lbs when I hit the reps. What's ur max on ohp?