Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

How many trainers don't know about full body sessions?

Nov 8, Edit: I've learned new vocabulary.
    Nov 11, Edit: Now I learned that "full body split" refers to all splits that work the full body (yes, because many people don't). The correct term for what I want is "full body workout." So replace fbs with fbw everywhere below.

So, I just want to know how many trainers give their beginner clients full body workouts 3x per week, vs a split that works different muscles different days, and how many have not heard of full body splits.

A few days ago I knew about Starting Strength and Fierce 5 beginner programs that work all muscles 3x per week each. I did not know they are called fully body splits, and thought that sounded like an oxymoron since a split splits the body over multiple days, I thought. I struggled with descriptions since all splits could have the same weekly volume and could work the full body eventually. I also did not realize how much disagreement there was on optimal beginner programs and how popular bro splits are.

So, with my muscles in pain from my trainer's bro split, and my vocabulary smaller than I realized, I asked my trainer if we could work my full body each session, 3-4 sets per muscle group, 3x per week, instead of doing 9-12 sets of one muscle group per session 1x per week with different muscle groups other days.

My trainer replied by asking if I wanted her to invent an exercise that works every muscle in the body simultaneously.

Although that would thread together all my requirements, I knew that is impossible or just bad and wondered why my trainer would think I wanted that instead of first asking if I want a full body split. I then assumed my trainer had not heard of beginner programs.

I replied (all this still over text) by explaining full body beginner workouts vs advanced splits, stating ours had been the later, and stating that my muscles were in too much pain from all those working sets.

My trainer then accused me of having a bad attitude and attacking her and dropped me as a client.

I was in emotional shock and created this thread to find out how out of line I am for thinking a full body split is widely known about and how normal it is that my trainer would not know what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-11-2021 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Apparently I still lack vocabulary.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As a trainer I only train using full body sessions since most of my clients are 2-3 day per week gym people and that's what is most effective if you're only in the gym that many days per week.

Usually my program will include a push, pull, press, squat, hip-hinge, rotation, and lunge.

A trainer should be using those basic movement patterns to develop an optimal program for the client, keeping in mind abilities, injuries, etc. And should push the client, sometimes further than they think they are capable of, while maintaining safe/effective form.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for that info. Interesting how it depends on available days. I still only want a full body split 3x per week.

My brother says that every person has their own way they think is best, and that they assume one size fits all. He says he does not know or bother learning the others. He would not think it odd if my trainer did not know what I wanted when I described a full body split, even though that is what he does. He also doubts I can change my trainer's mind as to which is best for me, nor is he curious my reasons why it is. He just does what works for him.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-10-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: to be more on the orginal topic and not make assumptions

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    Thanks for that info. Those exercises sound well balanced.

Maybe my trainer thought my cardio days were extra weight days, that I was lifting 6 days per week, that I was fitter than I am, and that I was repeating the session 3 days later.

My brother says that every person has their own way they think is best, and that he does not bother learning the others. He does not think it odd if my trainer never heard of full body each session, even though that is what he does. He also doubts I can change my trainer's mind as to which is best for me, nor is he curious my reasons.
    Find a new trainer.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Looking back, even if my trainer knows what a full body split is, that does not mean my trainer knew that I knew, especially since I did not say, "full body split."

Either way, my trainer prefers to do all the exercise selection and surprise me and confuse my muscles, and does not want to just watch my form on something like Fierce 5. So my wanting to settle down means we are no longer a good match regardless. Too bad it wasn't a happier graduation, but that's what I get for communicating over text, and not learning more vocabulary first.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.

One of the other trainers I asked acted puzzled when I asked what program he would train a newbie with. He said push/pull, or something like that. He also added that it does not matter as long as everything gets worked each week, even 1x per week.

I still want 3x per week per muscle group. Frequent practice, sooner feedback, and less soreness.

Originally Posted by Darkius View Post

Either way, my trainer prefers to do all the exercise selection and surprise me and confuse my muscles.
    I hate the term "confuse the muscles", its such BS. Muscles don't think, they don't have brains, and thus they don't get confused. Skeletal muscles can only do 1 of 2 things, contract or relax.

Since creating this thread and watching many more YouTube videos, I now know the term full body split. I also learned that Starting Strength is a strength program, whereas Fierce 5 is a body building program. Both have beginner and intermediate versions. I learned that body builders are massive generate lots of force, but power lifters are slim and generate high force per pound body mass, competing based of percent of their body weight. I read that people are supposed to alternate between the 2 to maximize potential or break plateaus.

I also learned that bro split definitely is not derogatory, which I briefly worried. They are highly popular. And there are many opinion groups out there even advocating them for beginners.

I also found a PhD on YouTube who teaches that beginners don't get extra benefit from exercising more than once a week. I of course do not believe him.

So anything is possible. I should not have told my trainer that her bro split is only good for advanced lifters. I should have just said it is too painful for me.

At least now I will be able to measure progression and practice form every 48 hours now, and won't be sore like the other lifters who make it obvious when leg day was by the way they walk up the stairs. Again, said this was the path to getting here.
    Last edited by Darkius; 11-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.

There are so many different program styles and goals out there that no wonder trainers spcialize and don't like to adjust to each client.

Even the term good form is goal specific. It is not just whether an exercise is done safely. Form is carefully changed based on whether a client wants to gain strength, bust a plateau, active recover, or sculpt they back by emphasizing one muscle more than another. So if a trainer asks about goals, and a client says something vague, the trainer will put that client on his or her standard program. Even Mark Rippetoe advises different squating for than others since he thinks his will generate a bit more force.

So when I hired a trainer to just watch my form, I was opening a can of worms there, especially with my vague goals.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    As a trainer I only train using full body sessions since most of my clients are 2-3 day per week gym people and that's what is most effective if you're only in the gym that many days per week.
    That makes sense to me. Thank you for that.
    joe Henry