gringalton is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Tired and headache after weightlifting but not cardio?

Hi all,

For the last 12 months or so, I feel a headache coming on when I am doing weightlifting, and 45-60 minutes after the session it kicks in fully.
    Additionally, I get super-super tired for the next 24-48 hours or so, as well as "not feeling with it"/"heavy in the head" - sort of like a migraine attack.

I just took a break from gym completely for 3 months to see if it would go away - but it is the same.

This never happens when I am doing cardio - only weightlifting.

Has anyone else experienced this? Grateful for all advice.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Do you have tight trapezius muscles? I get a headache sometimes from DOMS in the traps - especially if I have been neglecting rear delts and trap isolations (e.g. reverse flys and overhead shrugs)

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Do you have tight trapezius muscles? I get a headache sometimes from DOMS in the traps - especially if I have been neglecting rear delts and trap isolations (e.g. reverse flys and overhead shrugs)
    Thanks for the input. I would say I am overall very tense in the neck area due to a sedentary lifestyle in front of a computer working, except from when I am working out. I have thought about if this might be the reason, but the tiredness and slow feeling in the head made me reason that it could not be that, but I guess a massage session could be helpful in that case.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Massage may make you feel better temporarily. Longer term it's very important to balance your routine so that the muscles I mentioned above are trained just as much as the chest/front delts which are what is mostly hit by bench pressing and overhead pressing.

The overhead shrug in particular was a gamechanger for me - be sure to really focus on articulating your scapulae smoothly (never jerkily) and through the fullest possible range of motion.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Massage may make you feel better temporarily. Longer term it's very important to balance your routine so that the muscles I mentioned above are trained just as much as the chest/front delts which are what is mostly hit by bench pressing and overhead pressing.

The overhead shrug in particular was a gamechanger for me - be sure to really focus on articulating your scapulae smoothly (never jerkily) and through the fullest possible range of motion.
    Makes sense. Unfortunately I will have to skip the gym entirely again, but if I ever come back to it I will keep this in mind to not forget to give my traps some love. Thanks for the input, highly appreciated.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You may be breathing poorly during your actual work sets. Consider emphasizing the breathing next time you try.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    You may be breathing poorly during your actual work sets. Consider emphasizing the breathing next time you try.
    Thanks for the input. Will definitely do this next time I work out. Do you think lack of proper breathing also can cause the tiredness?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gringalton View Post
    Thanks for the input. Will definitely do this next time I work out. Do you think lack of proper breathing also can cause the tiredness?
    I think lack of proper breathing contributing to a migraine of some sort can cause tiredness. The breathing itself should not cause any fatigue after your are done.