livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question on losing muscle

Will staying in a deficit too long cause muscle loss? Trying to get this last bit of fat off my lower abs for what seems like months and it wont go i feel my body pulling fat,muscle,whatever from everywhere on my body but this one area. I know its the last to go and all but its getting to be a mindf$&@. Im now switching my shirts to Mediums and my waist size is like 30. Ppl everyday saying **** like “u look skinnier”. Is it possible some folks just cant get rid of that tiny bit of lower ab fat? I dunno whether to press on and risk getting smaller or just start bulking so i can stop feeling self conscious and what not

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    As you get leaner, the rate of fat loss must also decrease to prevent muscle loss.

IIRC, your fat reserves can give you a maximum of 33 calories every day for each 1lb of fat you carry.

You can also deceive yourself into thinking you are losing muscle when it's actually just fat coming off your limbs and chest, making you look smaller. The telltale is if you don't lose strength.

Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your body has fat between muscle fibers. It actually uses it first during exercise. I know a fire fighter who used to be big, had large muscles, and dieted down while exercising. His arms shrank, but his lifts stayed the same. He got rid of his gut, knees felt better, and he believed he did not lose any muscle.

So you can't even tell by measuring your arms. Strength is the only sure way.

And yes, the leaner you get, the more you have to slow down the deficit, or else muscle can be lost. Most people can lose 1% body weight per week, but must slow to 1/2% when lean, maybe 10-15% body fat, though I dont know the exact number. Obese obese people maybe can go faster, but I'm no expert there.

Enough body builders get to 3% just for contests that I'm not sure it requires genetics or we may have heard about that by now, all the muscular guys who can't compete since they can't get to 3% to bronze up. It seems they find a way.
    Last edited by Darkius; 10-24-2021 at 10:05 AM.

livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50) livindagym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    As you get leaner, the rate of fat loss must also decrease to prevent muscle loss.

IIRC, your fat reserves can give you a maximum of 33 calories every day for each 1lb of fat you carry.

You can also deceive yourself into thinking you are losing muscle when it's actually just fat coming off your limbs and chest, making you look smaller. The telltale is if you don't lose strength.
    Is some strength loss normal tho? For instance ive kept strength in some lifts,gained in some, yet slightly down in some. Bench im down 5pounds and 1 rep. Squats is down 10 pounds. Most everything else ive kept strength

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by livindagym View Post
    Is some strength loss normal tho? For instance ive kept strength in some lifts,gained in some, yet slightly down in some. Bench im down 5pounds and 1 rep. Squats is down 10 pounds. Most everything else ive kept strength
    It's normal to see some variation - neural efficiency can go as quickly as it came. This makes strength slightly difficult to use as an indication of muscle mass but still the best option available. It sounds like overall, you are maintaining strength.

aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50) aendraes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by livindagym View Post
    Mass is definitely a requirement/boost for strength in some lifts.
    Bench press and squats are particularly affected by fat mass while OHP and deadlifts are more stable through fat loss though they still suffer, in my experience as a strongman enthusiast losing a lot of weight within a year I've noticed this first hand.(21 kg as of now)
    Strength is the same but some exercises are much harder.

I think it mainly has to do with fat mass bringing stability while lack or it brings agility.
    You may still be at the same strength levels but need better technique and aids(belt) to execute on the same level.

Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000)
    Meal timing may be important for maintaining muscle:
    https://youtu.be/9sHGcc6pMnc
    Basically says spread out your meals, especially protein, at least 4 per day.

And not sleeping well can make you lose lots of protein too.

I'm going to measure my calfs and thighs. No fat down there, so good place to see if muscle is being loss. My arms are very lean too.

Only problem is intramuscular fat. Rock hard muscle can still shrink if that goes. But my waist better be shrinking by a much larger margine.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    I'm going to measure my calfs and thighs. No fat down there, so good place to see if muscle is being loss. My arms are very lean too.

Only problem is intramuscular fat. Rock hard muscle can still shrink if that goes. But my waist better be shrinking by a much larger margine.
    Just curious, why do you hijack everyone's threads and treat them as an opportunity to talk about yourself?
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Just curious, why do you hijack everyone's threads and treat them as an opportunity to talk about yourself?
    I think my post was on topic, covering what to watch for to make sure muscle is not being lost. Just because I say I plan to take my own advice does not mean I'm off topic.

You did not even reply to the poster's question.

When I post my own threads, I'd much rather people provide info on the topic even if from multiple angles than not reply at all.

I understand why you are so sensitive. In the trainer forum, I did take some threads off topic a bit while using my own examples. I was venting. But I did eventually delete my off topic content and change my post to be on topic. I'll go check again to see how on topic it is, but I think my examples provide case info that is useful to answering the question.