jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calculating Protein in COOKED Meat

I think I just realized a mistake I have been making for my entire life when it comes to protein per ounce cooked meat. My research found a general rule of thumb is a serving of meat is 4oz UNCOOKED, about 25% weight is lost during cooking. So a 4oz UNCOOKED portion results in 3oz COOKED.

My question: Package says 24g Protein per UNCOOKED serving (4oz). I equate this to mean 6g Protein/1oz. I'm meal prepping and aim to get 30g protein. Should I calculate protein in COOKED meat as: 6g/1oz OR 8g/1oz?

I have been applying 6g Protein per 1oz COOKED, but I believe I have made an error and should be utilizing 8g Protein/1oz COOKED.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thoughts?

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My questions for you:

Do you weigh your meat UNCOOKED or COOKED? or BOTH?

What type of MEAT are you COOKING?

Do you ever eat said meat UNCOOKED?

jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbonen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    My questions for you:

Do you weigh your meat UNCOOKED or COOKED? or BOTH?

What type of MEAT are you COOKING?

Do you ever eat said meat UNCOOKED?
    I eat all kinds of meat. The above example was merely chx breast protein count. I always weigh my food cooked.

The same applies to eye of round or turkey breast, just different protein/oz.

If I need 30g protein, my old way I was weighing 5oz cooked*6=30g protein. BUT, I may have been overeating if the correct calculation was 8g*5=40. 10g of protein doesnt seem like a big deal, but that is in essence multiplied by 3 (number of meals with meat). so 30g a day, 210 a week, etc.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just weigh it uncooked lol

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jbonen View Post
    I eat all kinds of meat. The above example was merely chx breast protein count. I always weigh my food cooked.

The same applies to eye of round or turkey breast, just different protein/oz.

If I need 30g protein, my old way I was weighing 5oz cooked*6=30g protein. BUT, I may have been overeating if the correct calculation was 8g*5=40. 10g of protein doesnt seem like a big deal, but that is in essence multiplied by 3 (number of meals with meat). so 30g a day, 210 a week, etc.
    x 52 weeks x 35 years. Still doesn't seem like a big deal. Your lifetime mistake is your body's gain.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    By my calculations, you have to spend the next 12 years eating no meat.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    By my calculations, you have to spend the next 12 years eating no meat.
    VAG it is! BOOM!

Uncooked seems burdensome to me. If I need a total of 112oz a week of chx or w.e. I'd have to preweigh that sht ton and then multipy 112 *.75% to account for the weight reduction, then divide that by the number of meals.

Guess I'll try it.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    x 52 weeks x 35 years. Still doesn't seem like a big deal. Your lifetime mistake is your body's gain.
    Ha agree. But I'm following one of Kris Gethin's plans and protein is calculated by lb of BW in this one. Problem is I ballooned UP for various reasons, so factoring in how much protein im likely overeating on his plan is already enough. Plus it'd cut down on meal prep time, save a little money and I wouldnt be eating so much damn meat.

Agree with you, if I wasnt trying to drop a lot of weight for the family.