Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sun tzu is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Barbell Calf raises

I've been doing standing barbell calf-raises and as the weight is getting heavier, I'm starting to feel pressure on my back. I already do many exercises involving axial loading and was wondering if it is worth loading the back even more for a less important area.

My calves are lagging and don't want to neglect them.
    "Is he an honest man? If he is, you should respect him and let him continue with his work. Is he weak? If it were so, it would not be brave thing to do to push a man who is falling."

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You could do one leg at a time and reduce the weight used by (more than) half

If you aren't already doing this, put the balls of your feet on a raised block of wood to increase the ROM as much as possible.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One-legged, on a block, using one db at your side (or a plate if you don't have dbs) and lightly holding rack/wall with other hand for balance. No back loading, need very little weight & easier to control bouncing reflex.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Normally I just use dumbbells for standing, but at some point grip may hold you back(unless you're regularly training it which you should be, in which case grip won't be a problem here), so you'll want to switch to a safety squat bar, a loaded weight belt, a backpack, or a weight vest. One foot calf raises are an excellent choice here, very high activation and forces you to take the weight way way down - the stress per pound is much higher here. I'll probably get a little hate for saying it, but with calves I particularly like the seated calf raises(mount the bar on safeties/j-cups in the rack at an appropriate height for where you're sitting, and use a squat pad or rolled up towel to protect thighs). It eliminates the stability issue, but the downside is because of how strong the calves are in this position, requires a considerable amount to stimulate them. Anyways, if i'm doing standing raises I typically use a weight belt to free my hands up, and if i'm doing seated I use a barbell in a rack with a pad on it. Easy peasy.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you don't want to load your spine, use the leg press machine, it's awesome for calves. I never liked standing calf raises on a block much because half the time I'd lose balance before I hit failure, since as I got tired the balance got harder. The only thing to worry about on the leg press is your knees folding backwards