clopzat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Journalist Seeking Subjects for a story about eating disorders in bodybuilding

Hi there

My name is Julian Towers. I'm a freelance journalist and happy weightlifter who nevertheless struggles with a fitness obsession that sometimes edges into a straight-up eating disorder. As much as my routine has given me the body of my dreams and kept at bay the more formless anorexia I used to struggle with, I've grown concerned about the extent to which exercise has colonized both my mind and my day-to-day life. Even as I understand that-- so long as I stick to my healthy-habits in the long-term-- nothing could ever change overnight, I am simply unable to embrace the natural unpredictability of life; I stress about my daily step count, avoid food when I don't know calorie information, and shun social debauchery for worry of destabilizing my routine.

At the moment, I'm in the early stages of putting together a piece that would highlight individuals whose bodybuilding has brought similar challenges-- be it those who have found the discipline of exercise aggravate their old eating-disorders or create new ones altogether. Additionally, I'm also intrigued by
    1. how the ebb and flow of pandemic life across the last two years has affected these conditions
    2. if the masculinized stoicism thats become inextricably associated with weight-training makes it more difficult for us to seek help (or even recognize that we might have a problem)

Please let me know if any of you would be down to speak to me.
    If you'd prefer not to respond publicly, my email is julian_towers@alumni.brown.edu

Thanks for your consideration!
    Julian

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How much does this pay? And how many hours do you estimate?
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clopzat View Post
    Hi there

My name is Julian Towers. I'm a freelance journalist and happy weightlifter who nevertheless struggles with a fitness obsession that sometimes edges into a straight-up eating disorder. As much as my routine has given me the body of my dreams and kept at bay the more formless anorexia I used to struggle with, I've grown concerned about the extent to which exercise has colonized both my mind and my day-to-day life. Even as I understand that-- so long as I stick to my healthy-habits in the long-term-- nothing could ever change overnight, I am simply unable to embrace the natural unpredictability of life; I stress about my daily step count, avoid food when I don't know calorie information, and shun social debauchery for worry of destabilizing my routine.

At the moment, I'm in the early stages of putting together a piece that would highlight individuals whose bodybuilding has brought similar challenges-- be it those who have found the discipline of exercise aggravate their old eating-disorders or create new ones altogether. Additionally, I'm also intrigued by
    1. how the ebb and flow of pandemic life across the last two years has affected these conditions
    2. if the masculinized stoicism thats become inextricably associated with weight-training makes it more difficult for us to seek help (or even recognize that we might have a problem)

Please let me know if any of you would be down to speak to me.
    If you'd prefer not to respond publicly, my email is julian_towers@alumni.brown.edu

Thanks for your consideration!
    Julian

Im basically a recovered anorexic who has been training for about 18 years now... so... yeah... I've been through it all.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by clopzat View Post
    I didn't need to go in to work unless needed during the first stages of the pandemic. So I wake up and work out in my garage. If I get a call from work it's a 7 minute drive, a 5 minute job, and a 7 minute drive and back to working out. I thought about moving my home gym to a rental house filled with Arnold artwork that is about 20 seconds away from work. But if I rent it out I can't work out. Plus I do other things between sets that I can only do at home.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    How much does this pay? And how many hours do you estimate?
    Can't give any sort of time estimate--in my experience, most substantive phone interviews tend to tap out around 45-75 minutes, though of course there are often follow up conversations.

As for pay... you'll be compensated by the satisfaction of sharing your story in a nationally syndicated outlet, thereby lending a voice to the likely thousands that silently suffer from eating disorders. Hope that's enough!

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Im basically a recovered anorexic who has been training for about 18 years now... so... yeah... I've been through it all.
    Shoot me an email if you'd be down to go long with me over the phone. And, again, that goes for anybody in thread.