aidanyk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question What to eat before a workout?

I've finally bit the bullet and started a proper diet/exercise routine today. I've experimented with short workouts, intermittent fasting, and low-calorie diets before (with good success in weight loss and a little success in muscle gain), but this is the first time I'm really trying to stay consistent and push myself. As such, I'm trying to work out an idea of what foods to eat before a workout, but I'm struggling a bit. A quick Google search says I want foods that are moderate in protein, high in carbs, and low in fat. I've always heard you want high protein, high fat, and low carbs. And checking through some posts on this forum, it seems that you want high protein, medium carbs, and medium fat. Which of these is the right way to do it (generally, as I know each person will vary a bit). And whatever it is, what about foods like nuts and legumes? I've always heard they're good for a workout, but they're considered good sources of protein, carbs, AND fat, so I'm not sure whether to trust the recommendations because they're high in (insert good thing here), or ignore them because they're also high in (insert bad thing here).

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I drink coffee and take a hit of nicotine before a workout after waking up in the morning.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by aidanyk View Post
    I've finally bit the bullet and started a proper diet/exercise routine today. I've experimented with short workouts, intermittent fasting, and low-calorie diets before (with good success in weight loss and a little success in muscle gain), but this is the first time I'm really trying to stay consistent and push myself. As such, I'm trying to work out an idea of what foods to eat before a workout, but I'm struggling a bit. A quick Google search says I want foods that are moderate in protein, high in carbs, and low in fat. I've always heard you want high protein, high fat, and low carbs. And checking through some posts on this forum, it seems that you want high protein, medium carbs, and medium fat. Which of these is the right way to do it (generally, as I know each person will vary a bit). And whatever it is, what about foods like nuts and legumes? I've always heard they're good for a workout, but they're considered good sources of protein, carbs, AND fat, so I'm not sure whether to trust the recommendations because they're high in (insert good thing here), or ignore them because they're also high in (insert bad thing here).
    There is no correct answer.. it's whatever makes you perform your best.

It could be nothing at all (fasted training)

it could be a protein shake... or a piece of fruit... or a BIG meal containing all three macros...

Be your own experiment... try them all and see how it goes.

My only tip is avoid anything hard to digest or that sits in your stomach for too long if you're training within 60min or so... might make you feel sick.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post

I agree. But do this on different days.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    I agree. But do this on different days.
    No joke, I tried putting sushi ginger on pizza not long ago

It's good
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does anyone here say the word "legume" IRL, or is it just something people write in nutrition forums?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Does anyone here say the word "legume" IRL, or is it just something people write in nutrition forums?
    I use it with my friend, Gume, when I want to sound French.

"Hey, is le Gume coming to the party"?

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    There is no correct answer.. it's whatever makes you perform your best.

It could be nothing at all (fasted training)

it could be a protein shake... or a piece of fruit... or a BIG meal containing all three macros...

My only tip is avoid anything hard to digest or that sits in your stomach for too long if you're training within 60min or so... might make you feel sick.
    This, and maybe even the last line is a possible option, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I'm able to do so but it's not ideal, which is apparently somewhat rare.

I personally do the best having eaten plenty the previous couple of meals, and then lifting within an hour or two of a medium meal prior to training.
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"