Aaronre93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Realistically how many calories should I aim for?

Hi all, so I’m 28, 5’8 height and 181lbs in weight. Guessing around 20-25% body fat. My goal is to lose fat and build muscle, I’ve been doing the allpro workout mentioned in the stickies in this forum.

So in all honestly I’m not fussed what my weight is but I do still weigh myself weekly to see where I’m at, and the scales haven’t moved in 7 weeks of working out. I used to go gym years ago in my teens but now want to take it a little more seriously, making sure I’m doing exercises correctly etc. It wasn’t until 7 weeks ago I’d never done a weighted squat or a deadlift, so I’m really starting from the bottom here lol.

Anyways, I’m currently at just 1,800 calories atm (occasionally I’ll go over and eat no more than 2300 if I’m tired/hungry and feel I need it) and eating 0.7g protein per lb body weight a day. I’m working out 3 times a week which burns on average 350kcals per workout. I have a driving job that’s 60hrs a week and I’m seriously struggling with fatigue. My Apple Watch is saying that I’m burning 2300-2800 calories a day depending on what I’m doing ofcourse.

Sorry for the long text but my question is, realistically how many calories should I be eating? Or is it a case of eating as little as possible whilst making sure it’s sustainable?

Thanks for any help

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everyone here will ask you to post a picture first.
    Then they will say you are either eating more than you think or burning less than you think.
    Your fatigue though is clue as to the correct path for you.

If what you said is true, you are going about as fast as safely possible, except the not losing weight part contradicts it all.
    Since you are a beginner muscularly, you can build muscle and burn fat while eating at steady state. Some coaches recommend that, and recommend cuts and bulks for intermediate lifters. But getting away from a high fat body faster is nice.

I'm in a similar situation as you, new to let work, former cross country runner, 20-25% body fat, aiming for 1800 calories. Difference is I weigh 160 pounds and likely have a bit less muscle.

One advantage of steady state calories for recomposition is your habits stay more the same throughout. But a zig zag cut bulk plan is faster. I chose a cut because I want to take weight off my bad knee sooner.

Working 60 hours per week is rough.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Aaronre93 View Post
    Hi all, so I’m 28, 5’8 height and 181lbs in weight. Guessing around 20-25% body fat. My goal is to lose fat and build muscle, I’ve been doing the allpro workout mentioned in the stickies in this forum.

So in all honestly I’m not fussed what my weight is but I do still weigh myself weekly to see where I’m at, and the scales haven’t moved in 7 weeks of working out. I used to go gym years ago in my teens but now want to take it a little more seriously, making sure I’m doing exercises correctly etc. It wasn’t until 7 weeks ago I’d never done a weighted squat or a deadlift, so I’m really starting from the bottom here lol.

Anyways, I’m currently at just 1,800 calories atm (occasionally I’ll go over and eat no more than 2300 if I’m tired/hungry and feel I need it) and eating 0.7g protein per lb body weight a day. I’m working out 3 times a week which burns on average 350kcals per workout. I have a driving job that’s 60hrs a week and I’m seriously struggling with fatigue. My Apple Watch is saying that I’m burning 2300-2800 calories a day depending on what I’m doing ofcourse.

Sorry for the long text but my question is, realistically how many calories should I be eating? Or is it a case of eating as little as possible whilst making sure it’s sustainable?

Thanks for any help
    You need to add up all weekly calories and divide by 7 to get your true daily amount. You're higher than you think. Unless you're losing a pound a week you need to drop weekly calories by a decent amount
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Aaronre93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for both your comments. I have been tracking on MyFitnessPal, including sauces and all the little bits etc. was few social events during the 7 weeks but never went mad at all, made sure I ate less on other days etc.

Anyways I took a pic 7 weeks ago. I’m gonna carry on for another 6/7 weeks then take another photo and see if there’s any difference, and I’ll probs post in here the comparison (if any). Also Keeping track and dividing by 7 at the end of each week is a great idea

The 60hrs a week is rough indeed but I am self employed so can come home whenever I like, but generally it’s a unsociable and long hour job

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for both your comments. I have been tracking on MyFitnessPal, including sauces and all the little bits etc. was few social events during the 7 weeks but never went mad at all, made sure I ate less on other days etc.

Anyways I took a pic 7 weeks ago. I’m gonna carry on for another 6/7 weeks then take another photo and see if there’s any difference, and I’ll probs post in here the comparison (if any). Also Keeping track and dividing by 7 at the end of each week is a great idea

The 60hrs a week is rough indeed but I am self employed so can come home whenever I like, but generally it’s a unsociable and long hour job
    Pix are great but also keep measurement records of your waist measured at the navel. If this number isn't going down then you aren't losing fat.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks for any help
    I'm not sure how you are coming up with 2800, or what you asked your app to get that number.

I just recently learned if you are including exercise, and a calorie table says you burned 300 calories, that does not mean 300 more than had you not been at the gym. It means the total your body burned in that time period. You have to subtract how much it would have otherwised burned (most likely sitting down) had you not done the exercise.

BMR is not used in simple calculations we do.
    Total daily estimates based on general activity level are intended as an alternative to hour by hour totals. Combining the two requires the math I stated. The general ones tend to overestimate anything other than the sedentary value, unless you really are walking around all the time between workouts.
    Last edited by Darkius; 10-29-2021 at 11:56 AM.

I bet many people have the misconseption that if they burn 300 calories, they can eat 300 more calories. Then they wonder why they gained weight.
    Last edited by Darkius; 10-29-2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: site bug that says "Access Denied" if a post is longer than a few lines.

Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    I bet many people have the misconseption that if they burn 300 calories, they can eat 300 more calories. Then they wonder why they gained weight.
    that would cancel each other out so no fat gain in that situation

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB