joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

How Far is Too Far?

Just an idle question, well, maybe not that idle as I think I see it from time to time. What are some signs that one has crossed from "healthy" to body (muscle) dysmorphia?

I "think" one sign might be when you cross over to illegal substances, e.g., steroids? Or when you spend copious amounts of money on supplements, nutrients, etc. in the quest of perfection?

Or a second "work week" at the gym?

Or if the "obsession" has turned one into a one dimensional character?

On one hand it takes dedication to reach the next level but ... how far ... before it's ... "dysmorphia"?

Not me. I'm just an observer. Although, interesting sidebar. I've been working out for a year now. Only three sessions a week. I think I've made average progress but acquaintances are now accusing me of "juicing" (steroids) and such. So to an "outsider" I may be dysmorphic but at only 4.5 hours a week - Absolutely Not!

But an acquaintance; twice a day, seven days a week, six oddly crafted meals and so many supplements that he now sells them to be able to afford them ... I'm starting to wonder?

Like I say, just a conversation ...
    joe Henry

eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    when you don't give yourself time to recover and injure yourself
    My secret? Texting between sets.

joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) joewattie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    when you don't give yourself time to recover and injure yourself
    Fair enuff although ... that could also spell "beginner" :-)
    joe Henry

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One of the big red flags to me is when people start missing big events, skipping social time with friends / family, etc. I remember a few years ago, I got some Snapchat fitness thing that popped up that was one of those little 60 second biographies. It was some bodybuilder who was talking about how dedicated he was, how hard he worked, typical stuff like that.

At one point, he brings up the fact that he skipped his high school graduation because it conflicted with one of his workouts. Didn't walk, didn't go to the afterparty, got his diploma sent to him in the mail.

Obviously everyone has different priorities, but that really stuck in my mind.
    BP: 275
    SQ: 415
    DL: 515
    Bodyweight 170

Originally Posted by bLinkMoore View Post
    One of the big red flags to me is when people start missing big events, skipping social time with friends / family, etc. I remember a few years ago, I got some Snapchat fitness thing that popped up that was one of those little 60 second biographies. It was some bodybuilder who was talking about how dedicated he was, how hard he worked, typical stuff like that.

At one point, he brings up the fact that he skipped his high school graduation because it conflicted with one of his workouts. Didn't walk, didn't go to the afterparty, got his diploma sent to him in the mail.

Obviously everyone has different priorities, but that really stuck in my mind.
    Good example. I gotta agree. Thanks ...
    joe Henry