asghar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

40, fat, weak, and willing to try!

i am 40, fat and very weak. i am weak due to office, seated jobs all my life. never done exercise. my 12 to 14 year old nephews are stronger then me.

heavy smoker and being seated all my life has taken its toll. however i have few questions. if you can answer the questions is good. rest of the advise and tips and help i do not need now or i already know.

please only respond if u can answer any of the questions and when you do put the question number in front of your answer.

1. i can do zero pull ups or chin ups. if at some point i can do 5 solid pull ups, would i have added any muscle. 1lbs of muscle burns extra 50 colories per day. so doing 5 pull ups from 0 would i have gained muscle?

2. i want to go to the gym 7 days a week. this means i will not push my body to the maximum and i dont need to. so if its pull ups or cardio. is there a sets and reps reccomanded? for pull ups i was thinking doing as many as i can without straing too much and slowly adding. so adding 1 pull up per week.

3. for extra weight loss help, shall i use something like creatine or instant knockout? creatine will help me with ROWING MACHINE and pull ups. both use muscle so therefore i belive creatine will help. however instant knockout pills also give energy. so do i take both or one?

4. i do not like cardio. is there any suggestions. someone once said to 5 minutes per machine. increase the intensity of each machine slowly. is there a better method. there is no way in hell i can do anyting for 20 mins in a row.

Thank you.

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1, 2, 3, 4

you are a bossy one, eh?

i normally recommend against trainers - but in your case - might be a wise decision.

edit: stay off the erg - you sound scary (whispers in ear: its cardio)

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. 1lb of muscle does not burn 50 calories a day, its around 7-10 at best. Both CNS adaptation and muscle building go hand in hand when it comes to making progress on lifts and things like pullups. So yeah, if you cant do any pullups now and later on you can do 5, you probably would have gained some amount of muscle.

2. You need to follow a proven strength training program, but no program that I'm familiar with would ever had you lift 7 days a week, so if you want to go to the gym on your non-lifting days, its cardio city for you.

3. Creatine doesn't result in weight loss, neither do pills. Only a caloric deficit does this.

4. See answer #2.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    1. 1lb of muscle does not burn 50 calories a day, its around 7-10 at best. Both CNS adaptation and muscle building go hand in hand when it comes to making progress on lifts and things like pullups. So yeah, if you cant do any pullups now and later on you can do 5, you probably would have gained some amount of muscle.

2. You need to follow a proven strength training program, but no program that I'm familiar with would ever had you lift 7 days a week, so if you want to go to the gym on your non-lifting days, its cardio city for you.

3. Creatine doesn't result in weight loss, neither do pills. Only a caloric deficit does this.

4. See answer #2.
    you are a better human than i

Originally Posted by mtnmama View Post
    1, 2, 3, 4

you are a bossy one, eh?

i normally recommend against trainers - but in your case - might be a wise decision.

edit: stay off the erg - you sound scary (whispers in ear: its cardio)
    your contribution is the reason why people stay away from forums. you are vile and sick human.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post

4. See answer #2.
    thank you so much.

here is the reason for 7 days a week work out and why i think you are wrong about strength training.

1. i do not want to be stronger or masuclar etc. all i want to do is lose weight and be at a normal persons endurance, stemina and strength.
    2. i am thinking seven days is beacuse i think i can do maybe 3 machines of 5 minutes of cardio. 15 x7 = about the amount reccomanded by health organisations.
    3. the reason why i mettion pull ups is beacuse they cover most of the upper body and i am thinking adding even 1lbs of muscle going form 0 to 5 pull ups will help me in the long run.

the main question i have for you is what i can eat as in way of pills or powders that can either help me lose weight. use the stored fat as energy. i belive thats called themogenisis or something?

thank you.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by asghar View Post
    your contribution is the reason why people stay away from forums. you are vile and sick human.
    thanks buddy - snap judgement much?

i was being completely serious - you sound like you could hurt yourself VERY SERIOUSLY on an erg - i was competitive for years and without proper form - you could put yourself in the hospital on day 1 - not joking - and that was neither vile nor sick? but hey - freedom is awesome for all of us.

you gave us many rules - which is a bossy thing to do when asking for others time and knowledge....

and your lack of basic knowledge indicates your need for guidance - and internet forums are NoT the place for such a serious need. the trainer comment was also meant sincerely- odd you felt it was such an insult.

squid covered it well - hopefully you will take his guidance

you may get some other comments even more 'vile and sick' than mine - just a heads up.

thanks buddy - snap judgement much?

i was being completely serious - you sound like you could hurt yourself VERY SERIOUSLY on an erg - i was competitive for years and without proper form - you could put yourself in the hospital on day 1 - not joking - and that was neither vile nor sick? but hey - freedom is awesome for all of us.

you gave us many rules - which is a bossy thing to do when asking for others time and knowledge....

and your lack of basic knowledge indicates your need for guidance - and internet forums are NoT the place for such a serious need. the trainer comment was also meant sincerely- odd you felt it was such an insult.

squid covered it well - hopefully you will take his guidance

you may get some other comments even more 'vile and sick' than mine - just a heads up.
    what you said made no sense at all. to you it did not to me.

i want to do the treadmill. stright back look forward for 5 minutes. then the stepper and then cycle or rowing machine. rowing machine might be the best due to the fact it uses 80% of the muscles.

as for pull ups i will use the assisted machine. choose good settings where i can do around 20 with help. lower the help and keep the 20 reps untill i can do 1 solid one. i belive if i do 20 assisted one. i will get a work out and build the nessesaaey bits and bobs on the body for the first pull up.

baby steps for me. i will not rush or do anything stupid.

i have never enjoyed exerise. i dont want to do it. i am forced into it. if i see results i may choose to love it.

i hope you understand.

what you said made no sense at all. to you it did not to me.

i want to do the treadmill. stright back look forward for 5 minutes. then the stepper and then cycle or rowing machine. rowing machine might be the best due to the fact it uses 80% of the muscles.

as for pull ups i will use the assisted machine. choose good settings where i can do around 20 with help. lower the help and keep the 20 reps untill i can do 1 solid one. i belive if i do 20 assisted one. i will get a work out and build the nessesaaey bits and bobs on the body for the first pull up.

baby steps for me. i will not rush or do anything stupid.

i have never enjoyed exerise. i dont want to do it. i am forced into it. if i see results i may choose to love it.

i hope you understand.
    sure - i understand some things - but vile and sick human? naw - that was just silly

but i think you should reconsider the erg unless you get someone to teach you - the other machines you mention are FAR less likely to have you involved in accidents. i have seen so many people sit on an erg - pull hard - pop off the seat - crack a tailbone - leave in ambulance - i was tryin to be helpful - seems i wasn't clear. i personally agree rowing is the best - easiest on the joints too - but only if trained.

as i mentioned before - squid is a fantastic source here - he is a compassionate and patient trainer who has given you solid info - which if i were you - i would follow.

sure - i understand some things - but vile and sick human? naw - that was just silly

but i think you should reconsider the erg unless you get someone to teach you - the other machines you mention are FAR less likely to have you involved in accidents. i have seen so many people sit on an erg - pull hard - pop off the seat - crack a tailbone - leave in ambulance - i was tryin to be helpful - seems i wasn't clear. i personally agree rowing is the best - easiest on the joints too - but only if trained.

as i mentioned before - squid is a fantastic source here - he is a compassionate and patient trainer who has given you solid info - which if i were you - i would follow.
    What is ERG?

What is ERG?
    rowing machine = ergometer = erg

point taken

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thank you so much.

here is the reason for 7 days a week work out and why i think you are wrong about strength training.

1. i do not want to be stronger or masuclar etc. all i want to do is lose weight and be at a normal persons endurance, stemina and strength.
    2. i am thinking seven days is beacuse i think i can do maybe 3 machines of 5 minutes of cardio. 15 x7 = about the amount reccomanded by health organisations.
    3. the reason why i mettion pull ups is beacuse they cover most of the upper body and i am thinking adding even 1lbs of muscle going form 0 to 5 pull ups will help me in the long run.

the main question i have for you is what i can eat as in way of pills or powders that can either help me lose weight. use the stored fat as energy. i belive thats called themogenisis or something?

thank you.
    I suggest you go back 1 page and read the Don't Look Past the Basics sticky at the top of the page.

I still do not see a logical or valid reason in your response for 7 days of strength training. A big portion of strength training is your rest days. You stimulate muscle growth (and retention when losing weight) in the gym, and while at rest thats when the growth actually occurs. If you're working them hard enough, you need days off for both recovery and for injury prevention.

Most health organizations recommend 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, so again, no requirement for 7 days in the gym. Nothing bad about going to the gym 7 days a week, I'm there almost that much myself, but I'm definitely not doing any strength training on 2-3 of those days, I'm usually still recovering from my previous day workout and so I'm just there on the stairclimber or treadmill for a bit to get some moderate intensity cardio in.

Pullups are great if you can actually do them, but they don't actually target the entire upper body. Its primarily a back and biceps exercise. Yes, there is some delt and rhomboid and core involvement, but pullups largely leaves the chest and triceps out of the picture. If you're only doing pullups you're ignoring a lot of other muscles that require stimulation as well. You definitely need to consider lower body strength training too.

Pills or powders aren't going to help you lose any weight. Again, you can refer to the Dont Look Past the Basics thread at the top of Page 1 of the forum.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. Y

2. Y

3. Neither

4. Y