mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Creative Farmers Walk Workouts

I love farmers walks; they're basically the only conditioning I do right now. But, I can get bored with them so I try to be creative at times.

I have a Culligan water cooler with 5-gallon bottles that load into it. There's a grocery store with a water dispenser about a mile from my house. When both bottles are empty, I walk them down to the store, fill them up and then hump them the mile back to my place. It takes me about twenty minutes to walk them back and it's brutal. The handles are thick so my grip is thoroughly tested and they're heavy enough that it's a fight to keep proper posture all the way back. If my grip starts to give, I rack the bottles on my shoulders and keep on going until I think I can hold them again.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Halfway into reading this, I thought you were carrying the ones without handles. THAT would be a insane.

We use Culligan bottles at my office and they come in both varieties.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Add salt to the water to make it heavier

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mdonnelly80 View Post
    I love farmers walks; they're basically the only conditioning I do right now. But, I can get bored with them so I try to be creative at times.

I have a Culligan water cooler with 5-gallon bottles that load into it. There's a grocery store with a water dispenser about a mile from my house. When both bottles are empty, I walk them down to the store, fill them up and then hump them the mile back to my place. It takes me about twenty minutes to walk them back and it's brutal. The handles are thick so my grip is thoroughly tested and they're heavy enough that it's a fight to keep proper posture all the way back. If my grip starts to give, I rack the bottles on my shoulders and keep on going until I think I can hold them again.
    I do Farmers' walks almost every day. I don't do them for a mile, but neither do you. I suggest putting down the bottles and taking short breaks rather than racking the bottles and continuing to walk. Whether or not you do as suggested, kudos for being badass!
    Now there are short and simple exercises which tire the body rapidly, and so save our time; and time is something of which we ought to keep strict account. These exercises are running, brandishing weights, and jumping…. Select for practice any one of these, and you will find it plain and easy. But whatever you do, come back soon from body to mind.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    I do Farmers' walks almost every day. I don't do them for a mile, but neither do you. I suggest putting down the bottles and taking short breaks rather than racking the bottles and continuing to walk. Whether or not you do as suggested, kudos for being badass!
    I started doing this during the original Covid lockdown back in spring of 2020. I didn't have access to ANY weights or gym equipment (outside of a stationary bike) for ten solid weeks. I did have heavy things I could carry around so I started doing farmer's walks every other day. I did the mile death-march once or twice per week and I started finding different ways to stress myself. My initial goal was to make the entire walk without losing my grip; it took me five rounds to get to that point. After that, I decided to time myself which is why I started racking the bottles.

So, not really a "badass", just a bored guy trying to get some exercise.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah I've practiced my grip with these at home by carrying them by their bottlenecks.
    Nothing but clean foods in my diet.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Yeah I've practiced my grip with these at home by carrying them by their bottlenecks.
    You're a better man than I.... I tinkered around with once, made it two blocks and called it quits.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're a better man than I.... I tinkered around with once, made it two blocks and called it quits.
    I'm not transporting them lol it's just for taking them inside and also installing them. I have no problem gripping them for the most part but the plastic is slippery and it's not very doable if there's any moisture on my hands.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ever done them overhead?
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ... So, not really a "badass", just a bored guy trying to get some exercise.
    STFU! A loaded carry for a mile, Farmers' Walk or not, is badass.
    Now there are short and simple exercises which tire the body rapidly, and so save our time; and time is something of which we ought to keep strict account. These exercises are running, brandishing weights, and jumping…. Select for practice any one of these, and you will find it plain and easy. But whatever you do, come back soon from body to mind.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Ever done them overhead?
    A long time ago there was a thread about the single best exercise. I voted for the overhead carry because when you use a challenging weight, you have to deadlift and then clean and push press in order to carry. I only do it occasionally, but with the aforementioned poundage, it's really ****ing nasty.

Seneca, Moral Epistles

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A long time ago there was a thread about the single best exercise. I voted for the overhead carry because when you use a challenging weight, you have to deadlift and then clean and push press in order to carry. I only do it occasionally, but with the aforementioned poundage, it's really ****ing nasty.
    When I do em, I tend to have to drop the weight to a third of what I usually use for farmer's walks, i'm a lot weaker carrying overhead. The stress per pound is considerably higher, so I feel like I get more out of it.

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    STFU! A loaded carry for a mile, Farmers' Walk or not, is badass.
    I bought 50lbs. of whey online and had to pick it up from the post office. I decided to walk thinking it would be a cake. It was... rough.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Ever done them overhead?
    Nah, my separated shoulder really holding anything over my head. I do like racked carries though, especially with sandbags. I have a REP sandbag that I can load up to 200lbs; love that thing for racked farmer's walks.

Ever done them overhead?
    I only do that when the gym is crowded so that I can fit between everybody easier.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I bought 50lbs. of whey online and had to pick it up from the post office. I decided to walk thinking it would be a cake. It was... rough.
    Yeah, it's "unpleasant", to say the least. And... Probably overkill; I hurt from the neck for a few days after doing this.

With access to a gym and weights at home now, I only do the death-march when I've gotten strapped for time, I feel like a fat b@stard and want to crush myself. Lol.

Another fun iteration is a suitcase carry super-setted with band pull aparts. I walk with a 90lb dumbbell in one hand and my heavy band in the other, stop when my grip gives, rep out pull-aparts and walk back with the dumbbell in the other hand. I found this on T-nation and it does wonders for my separated shoulder.

Lately I like farmer's cause they're a convenient way to hit both forearms and traps with something intense enough to stimulate both areas, especially since I don't have anywhere near enough weight or the right rack for rack pulls to be a mainstay for my trap section. Upright rows supposedly hit all three traps but i've never liked the way they felt(kinda like the rear variation that Lee Haney did though), and i'm already using deadlift type movements on the following lower body day(romanians for hams and hacks for quads), so I don't want fatigue in high amounts from overuse of deads.