fecote is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question about chest press on Vertical Chest Machine please?

I've had several injuries and surgeries over the last 10 years of my life spread out over my entire body, and unfortunately my body isn't done with its affinity for surgeries yet either. I won't go into the list, but it's fairly lengthy. My days of free weights are done basically. My question is: if you lower the seat on a vertical chest press machine to where the handles are higher up on your chest will it work your upper chest? I know it likely won't be anywhere near the same as using dumbbells on an inclined bench etc., but as stated my days with free weights are really done. Any info or expertise you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks!

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For straight outwardly pressing, you have to keep it somewhat level to maintain proper back support. Raising the plane that you push from kind of works shoulders more than upper chest, but it is also kind of an awkward movement with constrictive range done properly at that.

Upper chest is more of a grappling things in front of your face muscle system, possibly while moving, and happens in a diagonal plane with your arms, while the forward pressing is more for stationed control of any broad thing in front of you.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The next time you're on that machine at the gym turn your head to the right, and there likely will be a seated incline chest press right next to you.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I found that incline flys are better than any press for the upper chest, an area I kinda lag in myself. A lot less stress on the joints too if that is a concern.

Just don’t lower them super far until you get the mobility to do so, something that the flys themselves will help with.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 10-13-2021 at 12:44 PM.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

fecote is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    The next time you're on that machine at the gym turn your head to the right, and there likely will be a seated incline chest press right next to you.
    unfortunately my gym doesn't have an incline chest press machine, I've seen them at other gyms in my life, but my gym doesn't have one sadly. I live in a smallish city/town.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fecote View Post
    unfortunately my gym doesn't have an incline chest press machine, I've seen them at other gyms in my life, but my gym doesn't have one sadly. I live in a smallish city/town.
    Got it, I wouldn't lower the seat on a regular seated press all the way down to try to create an upper chest emphasis; you'll be in a poor position given the fixed close-to-horizontal motion of those machines and it won't even have an upper chest focus.

I'd just lower the weight and use dbs on an adjustable incline bench. If you're afraid of free weights, drag the incline bench to one of those two-arm cable stations and set the arms low to do an incline press there.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Line up your shoulder joint with the plane of the resistance of you will wreck your joints. Basically, do not do what you're doing.