clydeashelton is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much does exercise increase maintenance calories?

I am going by a tdee calculator which I can't link because low post count but it's probably the first option when you google search. It adds an extra 300-400 calories depending on your activity level which starts from: light to moderate to heavy to athlete. The 'light exercise' applies if you exercise 1-2 days per week and so adds an extra 300-400 calories for everyday of the week. How does maintenance increase by 300-400 for everyday of the week? shouldn't it be for only the days you did exercise? Please someone explain why the calculator does this and if it is realistic

Thanks in advance

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it's not really realistic, just a rough estimate. that's why you're supposed to pick a calorie number, run it for two weeks while weighing yourself every morning and see what happens. that's how you nail down your actual maintenance

i usually count gym sessions as 200 calories, but even if it was really 50 or 500 calories, it wouldn't matter because i'm still gaining weight at the rate i'm supposed to

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    it's not really realistic, just a rough estimate. that's why you're supposed to pick a calorie number, run it for two weeks while weighing yourself every morning and see what happens. that's how you nail down your actual maintenance

i usually count gym sessions as 200 calories, but even if it was really 50 or 500 calories, it wouldn't matter because i'm still gaining weight at the rate i'm supposed to
    this is basically it unless you are doing something extreme.....

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ I agree, but OP is specifically referencing the estimator which postulates a certain activity level. Yes, you need to get your own data, but to guess at a maintenance and dial that in for a few weeks is still an important first step before you acquire your own, more reliable data. Since that factors in "activity level," it's not an irrelevant question IMO.

OP, since it can vary a lot, I'd err on the side of caution and mark it only one notch above sedentary, if you just do regular resistance training, and see where that lands you.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start with sedentary that way you won’t be starting too high. Starting too high is a good way to waste 3 weeks figuring out you were too high. Lower NEAT than you think you have and underestimated calorie amounts will throw everything out of whack anyway and usually in the wrong direction. You can always add in more calories later.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB