fabrixix is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Absolute beginner workout program advice

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I've been going to the gym for 10 days, with zero experience. These are my data: age 20, male, height 5 ft 9 inches, weight 135,5 lbs, BMI 20. The instructor gave me the following program, mainly composed of machine exercises:

Workout A:
    Leg extension machine, shoulder press machine, vertical traction machine, chest press machine, bench sit-ups, dumbbell curls, straight bar pushdowns
    (to this workout I asked to add something for the legs, such as 45 deg. leg press and leg curl)
    Workout B:
    Free Squats, dumbbell lateral raises, upper back machine, pectoral machine, reverse crunch on the bench, low cable curls, dumbbell french presses

I go to the gym three times a week, alternating A-B-A / B-A-B

The scheme is generally 4x8 and I am experimenting different weights (every time I make sure I reach fatigue for each exercise). I have very little muscle mass and fat. I asked the instructor about free weight and compound exercises, and he told me that I could set an appointment with him to learn the basic movements (squats, bench presses and deadlifts). He also advised not to switch too soon to this kind of exercises, as absolute beginners lack coordination and so on. My question is:
    Should I wait another two-three weeks before moving to more serious stuff? Or maybe I'm waisting time with this program and should immediately change? I'm concerned that this workout wouldn't be effective for muscle growth, even though I gained some weight and feel more "vigorous" lately. Any advice? Thank you!

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If it was me I'd do that but switch to the free weight equivalents. Something like 3 sets of 10 and keep it easy for at least a month. Keep the bar stable and keep a full range of motion, if you start doing a limited range such as not touching your chest when you bench press, you will find it extremely hard to break the habit.

You don't need an appointment to learn to do those lifts, don't become dependent on someone.