Thread: When to eat

sjhenry1075 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

When to eat

Hey everyone, new user here and my first time posting. I'm an older guy (46) and I have just gotten back into working out. I workout three times a week and do full body workouts each day.

My question is in regards to nutrition. I do lots of meal prepping and I eat clean about 95% of the time. My question is in regards to when I should eat. Due to circumstances out of my control (kids, job, wife) I workout extremely early in the morning, I'm usually there by 4:30. I always eat as soon as I get home, but should I eat something prior to working out? If so, what should I eat and when?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    When is not that important... Total daily nutrients are much more important. You could train completely fasted if you want.

Only the timing of protein in the context of 1 day is potentially important, it's best to spread your protein feedings to about 4 or 5 widely spaced points through the day.

For example:

- [morning workout]
    - breakfast and protein shake
    - lunch
    - dinner
    - pre bed protein shake mixed with greek yogurt

In terms of appetite management, if you are dieting, keeping regular mealtimes is an advantage because your hormones (ghrelin) become entrained to expect food at those times and you should be less hungry at other times.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I also lift in the early am- i lift fueled by coffee and feed immediately afterwards

On weekends I lift a few hours later so eat before.

For me, five meals a day is perfect
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey, I don't consider 46 old!

By inclination, I tend to prefer eating one small/medium meal, and then a big meal sometime else during the day. The order that that happens varies, but I find if I'm just "ad-libidum" eating, it's what I do.

Unfortunately the research on protein frequency makes this approach less than ideal, apparently. For appetite restriction, it's easier IMO, however, since there's something of a mental consolation in staving off hunger knowing that you'll simply get to eat plenty later, without being so restrictive as to make such a "plenty" ridiculously excessive.

Since being more conscious and deliberative about not being fat (which I'm not out of the water on yet), I've simply begun eating less and don't desire to overeat as often or to the same extent that I used to.

If you have a preference OP, I would lean on the side of what is more psychologically comfortable if aiming to lose weight, be that one meal a day or several snacks and no proper meals. If aiming to build muscle, I'd just try to stick to eating shortly after each training session and not worry about it beyond that.

One thing that helps in my experience is "supplemental protein." A food like chicken breast or low-fat cottage cheese can be a tasty holdover to the main meal and they are primarily protein, so it's a good way to make sure you're not protein-fasted if you'd rather concentrate your calorie consumption.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    just out of curiosity, where do you draw the line between "clean" and "dirty" foods?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Meal timing doesn't matter what matters is hitting your weekly calorie target based on your goals and getting in enough protein.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well, how do you perform? For me personally I can’t work out on an empty stomach or first thing in the AM without eating something. Or else i will have zero strengtg and enough energy to work out for 10-15 minutes. If forced to workout that early I would have a banana and coffee and that enough to get me through. So basically whatever works best for YOU. But you have to experiment and see what provides the best performance.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    First thing for me in the morning is coffee with coconut oil and creatine.
    Second thing is working out.
    Third thing is getting 50 grams of protein and taking a shower.
    Then I start conquering my part of this world. It's about 5 square miles.

I'm 54.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    just out of curiosity, where do you draw the line between "clean" and "dirty" foods?
    "dirty" is anything processed. Clean is lean protein, green veggies, and carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    First thing for me in the morning is coffee with coconut oil and creatine.
    Second thing is working out.
    Third thing is getting 50 grams of protein and taking a shower.
    Then I start conquering my part of this world. It's about 5 square miles.

I'm 54.
    How do you get your 50 grams of protein? Is it just a shake, a meal, or combination of both?

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by sjhenry1075 View Post
    How do you get your 50 grams of protein? Is it just a shake, a meal, or combination of both?
    Scoop of whey (30), serving of Greek yogurt (17), 2 raw eggs (14) and enough milk so that I can stir it up and drink it (5). I use an empty Greek yogurt container to mix/carry it. I guess that's closer to 60 grams.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    I wash my bic mac and fries with soap to make sure I am eating clean
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

I appreciate everyone's replies. Basically, I woke up one day and was sick and tired of being out of shape, and unable to tie my shoes without being out of breath. I'm 6'7 and when I started I weighed 326, but have since lost 22lbs. My goal is to get down to 255.

I'll usually eat three meals a day, and two snacks. With each meal I'll have a lean protein (chicken, fish, steak, pork), a green veggie (broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, etc..) and a carb, usually brown rice or sweet potato. I'll supplement my protein with shakes (JYM).

I think I perform well, I can definitely feel myself getting stronger. I do take a pre-workout prior to my workouts.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "dirty" is anything processed. Clean is lean protein, green veggies, and carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes.
    Whey powder is processed, so should we not use it? Peanut butter, yogurt, etc

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Scoop of whey (30), serving of Greek yogurt (17), 2 raw eggs (14) and enough milk so that I can stir it up and drink it (5). I use an empty Greek yogurt container to mix/carry it. I guess that's closer to 60 grams.
    Raw eggs? You're like Rocky Balboa..

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Whey powder is processed, so should we not use it? Peanut butter, yogurt, etc
    by processed I meant lunch meats, fast food, microwave dinners, etc..

TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I were you I would go fasted and then eat after my workout. I would eat a good nutritious dinner the night before and then wake up and go workout. I personally need my time to digest a meal so it would be impossible for me to eat and workout so early. And if I have a very very small meal, it just opens up my stomach and makes me 5 times hungrier. However, we are all different so just do what works best for you. You should optimize performance and digestion, so find what’s best for your body and mind.
    #benchesmorethansquatcrew

Originally Posted by TearsOfIce View Post
    If I were you I would go fasted and then eat after my workout.
    Why does the timing of OP's meals depend on the timing of your workout? I can see it if you and OP are conjoined twins, but the timing of your workout has no effect on the timing of OP's meals.

by processed I meant lunch meats, fast food, microwave dinners, etc..
    Those are what's called ultra processed.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I need to eat something before my workout and my workouts rarely fall after a "meal". Typically, I'm lifting at 5am so I eat a couple of "crunchy granola bars" with a tbps of peanut butter, take in my caffeine and get after it.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins