Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Good stuff. There’s still not too much research on specific training efficacy related to muscle fiber type/distribution then, hmm... I wish there were a way to assess individual muscle fiber makeup though. Or is there?
    A person with a higher ratio of fast twitch fibers would see reps increase more slowly as weight is reduced. The calculators are based on the average person, which it seems I am.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    There’s a bus driver where I work. He’s in his 60s. Never trains legs but he’s got some pythons for arms. He’s a 20 reps guy.
    Which is best for the older population.

Moderate to high reps at moderate intensity. Thinking longevity and health at that point.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    Good stuff. There’s still not too much research on specific training efficacy related to muscle fiber type/distribution then, hmm... I wish there were a way to assess individual muscle fiber makeup though. Or is there?

Take a good look into the work of “Dr Squat” Fred Hatfield .

He wrote a great book about “Hardcore Bodybuilding-The Scientific Approach to Bodybuilding “ - it’s a gem.

You might find articles and or a pdf related to it online.

As far as identifying your own muscle fiber ratios - I’m guessing a painful few biopsies would do the trick.

What makes sense is a holistic approach if we are to believe that all parts of the muscle makeup can be increased.

https://www.burakcemil.com/index.php...stic-training/
    Last edited by coachcalande; 10-15-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To me, this is where I am in my training as at age 55 I just can’t continue to blast away in my preferred 3-8 reps forever. I can’t avoid that either…but more variety and paying attention to my joints and various aches and pains is critical.

I train my arse off and then am useless for a day or two. Ha ha.

But the big takeaway as noted in posted study is:

“Take-Away Message: The researchers concluded that training to volitional failure is the most important variable for skeletal muscle hypertrophy gains in males. They summarized that trained males exercising to volitional failure between 30-90% 1RM will sufficiently activate skeletal muscle motor units, which is the driving mechanism for skeletal muscle hypertrophy. The researchers propose that if a client's primary goal is to increase 1RM strength, then performing exercise with heavier loads should be periodically (or consistently) required for optimal improvement. Personal trainers always design resistance training programs reflective of a client's goals and preferences. The combined use of heavier and lighter loads or 'rep zones', as in periodized programs, will offer variety in the resistance training stimulus and result in equally effective gains in muscle size and strength, as long as all training sets are completed to failure.“
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wish they would say what they compared the volitional failure group to. Did they compare them to more sets further from failure?

Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    I wish they would say what they compared the volitional failure group to. Did they compare them to more sets further from failure?

I have seen studies that have made that comparison.

This is a long article and the layout makes it annoying to read but it’s powerpacked with things to consider

https://journal.iusca.org/index.php/...wnload/81/140/

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    This is a long article and the layout makes it annoying to read but it’s powerpacked with things to consider

https://journal.iusca.org/index.php/...wnload/81/140/
    We briefly discussed that here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=180524133

This thread needs bumping for those who missed it.

Cliffs:

The hypertrophy range is 5-40 reps, as long as you go to with a rep of failure.

But if you pick your 30 rep max, your muscles will burn so much you might quit before failure. That is why the myth started. You are more likely to go to failure if you do 8-12 reps. Less burn.

I've been adding 5 pounds to my 16-20 rep max 3x per week for 2 weeks, proving high reps work. I failed to grow all these years because I was not getting close enough to failure. I thought I was within 4 reps, but I actually was only 60% the way there.

Also, I'm only using 2 sets. Hypertrophy is proportional to how many sets you do per week. Do as many as you can do in good form without feeling drained and can fully recover from by the next workout. Most people do best with 10-20 sets per week, but I'm only doing 6 since I'm cutting and don't want to spend so much time in the gym.