DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How to spare my back when skating?

ATM, the issue applies to inline skating, but in a few months I'll be cross-country skate skiing, and there's a small possibility I'll use "real" skates. So my inline skating technique isn't that bad, I've noticed little muscle use difference between when I focus on keeping it right and my normal use (when I don't focus on it). For the majority (if not vast) of my most common commute, I'm either going up or down; I'm thinking this has to do with the fact that the vast majority of the time I end up with about the same soreness level between my legs & back. I'm in my early 40s but I've been lucky enough to never have a job that is particularly strenuous on the back. So I'm wondering if age deterioration had anything to do with it (so someone younger in the same situation would be about the same).

Since as soon as my legs, and unfortunately for the moment also my back, are back near top-shape I skate, it would need to be something done during regeneration/recovery, and I'm assuming something light. I care about my leg soreness much less than my back, and I could skate even if 1/4 of the leg soreness would remain.

I'm hoping there's either leg exercises or balance exercises, that would help spare my back when skating.

Thank you kindly for your assistance

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would do isolation exercises for the lower back like hypers for high reps and lower weight. And also more general hip hinges which include a stretch at the bottom end - like Romanian deadlift does.

Your lower back isn't really used that much by the skating motion (I imagine) but pain from just holding a position can occur perhaps because of tight glutes - upper glutes especially can cause lower back pain IME.

Strengthening a muscle with higher rep full ROM resistance training is a magic bullet to me for many problems that I've had including lower back and hip issues.

DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DynV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Your lower back isn't really used that much by the skating motion (I imagine) but pain from just holding a position can occur perhaps because of tight glutes - upper glutes especially can cause lower back pain IME.
    I'm convinced it's the position. On my way back, I have a good amount of energy left in my legs but as soon as I feel anything but slight soreness in my back, I slow down and it gets better. From experience, I know that anything more than slight back soreness on my way back, means days of pain.

I wasn't expecting anyone to suggest a back exercise. If my goal is to skate more, wouldn't a back exercise increase recovery time, thus overall I'd skate less?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DynV View Post
    I'm convinced it's the position. On my way back, I have a good amount of energy left in my legs but as soon as I feel anything but slight soreness in my back, I slow down and it gets better. From experience, I know that anything more than slight back soreness on my way back, means days of pain.

I wasn't expecting anyone to suggest a back exercise. If my goal is to skate more, wouldn't a back exercise increase recovery time, thus overall I'd skate less?
    No, it would strengthen your back so that it is resilient to the exercise. It shouldn't be the weak point in your training-recovery cycle since it's only playing a supporting role.

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You have a weak back & core, which is targeted even more if you wear a backpack. You don't need to do anything special, you just need to work out generally. If you only want to focus on things that'll help your skating, do general leg, back and core exercises.

Until then, stop bending over so much when you skate. Skate more upright, penguin style.

This thread has been in the back of my mind, and I realized
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You have a weak back & core, which is targeted even more if you wear a backpack.
    could be fixed by donning a large waist bag instead of a backpack. I've made a search on Amazon, and all I found wasn't large enough; I carry with me a pair of shoes, a windbreaker suit & a tablet or small book and haven't found anything that could fit that in there. I guess I could get a small duffel bag and stitch a waist bag attachment on it but I couldn't find that, and I don't feel like getting a sturdy waist pack, just so I can get its specialized belt & connector off. Anyone has a better idea?

air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) air2fakie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DynV View Post
    This thread has been in the back of my mind, and I realized

could be fixed by donning a large waist bag instead of a backpack. I've made a search on Amazon, and all I found wasn't large enough; I carry with me a pair of shoes, a windbreaker suit & a tablet or small book and haven't found anything that could fit that in there. I guess I could get a small duffel bag and stitch a waist bag attachment on it but I couldn't find that, and I don't feel like getting a sturdy waist pack, just so I can get its specialized belt & connector off. Anyone has a better idea?
    Yeah, SP & I just gave you better ideas above instead of wearing the world’s geekiest hip pack.

But you’re still rollerblading 25 years after anyone else last did, so maybe go for it rather than just working out.