Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Is it bad if a client a does a non prescribed exercises after a session?

Suppose you put together a great session that a client loves. Ten minutes after you leave, the client does several other exercises. The client tells you later he loved your session and added the exercises. The extra work was not prescribed by you.

How would you feel?

Great, this is a hard working client?
    Now it will be harder to measure the results of the prescribed session?
    Maybe the client is fitter than you thought?
    Now the client will get super sore or injured for not letting you do the driving?
    Maybe the client did not like the session enough and had to add more?

Does it make much difference if they added in their usual exercises vs added more of your new ones?

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Generally my clients do not have the energy to do anything else when I get done with them, and if they do that means they weren't working at a high enough RPE during our session. I only have 1 client that refuses to work hard right now, the rest of them really push themselves quite hard and have nothing left to give at the end of our hour together.

But, to answer your question I usually advise them up front to stick to the program and not to be so keen to try to add more strength training, though I do encourage them to stay active on our off time with cardio based activity. But at the end of the day people are free to do whatever the heck they want, its their time and their life.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would make pretend I was leaving and when they starting doing more exercises, I'd bust in and make a big scene like it was the worst betrayal ever.

Bmuir40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As a client, my motivation goes up & down over time. And sometimes I feel like fully taking my rest days, and some days I feel like I can do more.

One of the things my trainer has helped me with is giving me "optional" prescribed workouts to do, if I am motivated or feeling like I want to do more. That has helped me.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My powerlifting coach never cared. I added two work out days and cardio daily. Other coaches I’ve had encouraged adding.

I mean if its excessive and affects the next workout, it could be frustrating but gotta let people do what they want. If you get too controlling, they won’t work with you
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Cornf1ake is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    Suppose you put together a great session that a client loves. Ten minutes after you leave, the client does several other exercises. The client tells you later he loved your session and added the exercises. The extra work was not prescribed by you.

How would you feel?

Great, this is a hard working client?
    Now it will be harder to measure the results of the prescribed session?
    Maybe the client is fitter than you thought?
    Now the client will get super sore or injured for not letting you do the driving?
    Maybe the client did not like the session enough and had to add more?

Does it make much difference if they added in their usual exercises vs added more of your new ones?
    Speaking from a client's stand point. I did this once after my session and my trainer was around working with another client and saw me and said, well I guess it wasn't hard enough for him if he stuck around to do more... Made it harder, lol.
    But I would communicate with the client. Maybe it is their space where they want to be alone. How I like mine. On Sunday's, I will spend hours in the gym. Doing different workouts. I just put my headphones on and zone out.