ultima911 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb Sideways Seated Cable Rows?

Hey there, new to the forum, first post here, but I had a question as I can't seem to find any information on this online.

Straight up, sideways seated cable rows. Is this a useless way to do cable rows? I suppose it's similar to something like a lat-pulldown, but it hits my lats in my experience way better than lat-pulldown. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong for pulldowns.

If you're unsure what I mean by sideways seated cable rows, imagine sitting at the cable row, open your left leg to make a 90 degree angle with your legs, then cross your right leg over top and put it where you'd typically put your left foot. Then however forms the best connection (in terms of torso alignment and position), pull into your ribs sideways. And of course invert the positioning and repeat for other side.

I've never seen anyone do this, and I haven't been able to find anything online about it. Every once in a while I come up with some lifts like this, just out of my own head really. Often times I find out it's already a thing (eg. zercher squats, behind back deadlift). For this one I haven't found anything though.

Thoughts?

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've never done them that way and am unsure what to think, other than that the injury potential seems much greater and a torsion motion is probably best done another way, but I'm not the guy to ask on that one because I don't do them...

For stimulating the lats themselves, it's probably best to do the cable row normally, in addition to balanced training targeting them, besides.

Sorry I don't have more to say.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’ve done every kind of row imaginable but I’m still having a hard time picturing what you’re saying

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So rowing at a 45' angle?
    So your 'front' arm can get further back?

Pass.. Just so reg one arm rows or pull Ins.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    From what I understand, it is a seated one arm cable row, where you put your right foot on the pad for the left foot and you pull with your left arm. Not quite 90 angle, but 45, like MyEgoProblem said. It can work, if you feel it in your lats, do it! The problem is that you cannot use a lot of weight. You could do it before the regular cable row, for the lat activation, with a smaller weight. Of after the regular cable row.

I'll try it these days. I've only tried seated (normally seated) cable row, pulling with one hand from the opposite cable (if there are dual cables). And yeah, it is a slight better contraction.

Have you done Turkish rows?
    The thing where you twist at the top of the rep?

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Not seeing the point of that exercise if we’re being honest…

-Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It seems like the emphasis on explosiveness in the row is capped so greatly by having to "hoist" it past the ribcage like a lateral raise... I know it was a demonstration but it seems like that's an exercise you have to stay light with, which has its own limitations.

If I'm remembering right, EC did these or something similar recently. It was "Turkish something," maybe not these, although in his case I think the emphasis was more on the twist than the row.
    Bench: 345
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"