Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000)

Trampoline for knee injury.

The cartilage behind my knee cap has a crack. My doctor said years ago I had a 20% chance of needing surgery but to avoid high impact, and that I need to do weighted squats and avoid impacts. I can't run on hard surfaces, not even grass, but can on sand dunes and the thick padding some playgrounds have.

So I'm wondering if jumping on a trampoline would improve things any. I don't have that doctor now, different insurance.

My knees don't feel ready for weighted squats yet. Body weight squats hurt after 10, if I go down far. They are fine if I do half squats. I'm planning to do full squats in a pool so buoyancy helps me at the bottom. Bicycling also feels good. Springs could have the same benefit as the pool but no chlorine.
    Last edited by Darkius; 09-28-2021 at 01:00 PM.

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    my instinct says that pool is way better than jumping - but that's just me imagining both with my knees

Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000) Darkius is just really nice. (+1000)
    My online research and reasoning are suggesting no for the trampoline as rehab. Trampolines spring back. They are used for getting higher. Sand dunes and padding absorb energy but don't spring back.

I do like the spring idea, but I need a good design. The pool idea is ready to go, but just chlorine.

I want a setup with more resistance when my legs straighten and less resistance as my knees bend lower. Springs and cams come to mind, just some designing is needed. Broom stick with short springs attached to the squat safety rails. Or hang them from the top of the rack. I like that.

Maybe I can do squats in the lat pull down station but with my elbows fixed. Nah, no spring though. Constant resistance.
    Last edited by Darkius; 09-28-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Now I'm thinking rubber straps. They are more common. Some kind of clip for the squats.

I could also have a single strap and grip it with my hand, and work one leg at a time. I might start with that. Works my grip as well.

At the pull down machines, I prefer to grip the rope rather than rely on the knots.

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    it'll be interesting to see how you go....

having had various injuries - when coming back - it's important to limit the stabilizing movements so as to not reinjure - again - for me -

let us know how you go...
    Last edited by mtnmama; 09-28-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Originally Posted by mtnmama View Post
    it'll be interesting to see how you go....

having had various injuries - when coming back - it's important to limit the stabilizing movements so as to not reinjure - again - for me -

let us know how you go...

Will do.
    What exactly do you mean by "limit the stabilizing movements"?
    Thanks.

Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    Will do.
    What exactly do you mean by "limit the stabilizing movements"?
    Thanks.
    after my injuries (several bc of connective tissue issues) while rehabbing it's always been stressed by coaches and physical and occupational therapists to stabilize the body parts - with casts, braces, and eventually just taping and compression items - so that the smaller stabilizing muscles, tendons, ligaments don't get overworked and ultimately injured.

i only mentioned it because you originally talked about trampoline...and there could be uncontrolled movements there...

sounds like you have a plan - just curious how it'll go - have you met with any PTs or have any for friends that you can ask about it?

good luck!

I bought a package of 12 personal training sessions at my gym. During orientation I was told to try a brace. He thinks general compression/warmth brace is good, but says there are ones that hold the knee cap in place. I will go buy some and try them before my first session, which is tomorrow.

I could go ask my doctor to prescribe physical therapy, which would then be free for me. I just wonder if he'd say I'm not injured bad enough, or that I can just focus on the exercises I know. I guess I could ask.

My pt says she knows how to incorporate rubber bands. So I'm hoping she is good. She knows my situation.
    Last edited by Darkius; 09-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.

I bought a package of 12 personal training sessions at my gym. During orientation I was told to try a brace. He thinks general compression/warmth brace is good, but says there are ones that hold the knee cap in place. I will go buy some and try them before my first session, which is tomorrow.

I could go ask my doctor to prescribe physical therapy, which would then be free for me. I just wonder if he'd say I'm not injured bad enough, or that I can just focus on the exercises I know. I guess I could ask.

My pt says she knows how to incorporate rubber bands. So I'm hoping she is good. She knows my situation.
    will be interesting to see what she says...

most PTs (therapist not trainers lol) wouldn't say not injured enough...they are usually wise and have some great ideas - tho i've had some sh177y ones too...

will be interesting to see what she says...

most PTs (therapist not trainers lol) wouldn't say not injured enough...they are usually wise and have some great ideas - tho i've had some sh177y ones too...
    My personal trainer likely researched therapy exercises before our session. She had me do exercises that were easy by still useful, and some that worked my knee tendons without hurting them. I still had to pedal a bike afterward to work my quads. Well worth it.

In the sauna, I met a guy with a scar on each knee. So I asked him how his knee replacements went. He said he had 10 of them because he is clumsy by that recovery is easy if one does the stretches before and after.
    The main reason for me to not get one is range of motion is limited. He can only bend his knee to about 90 degrees. I said no way to that. I'm hoping exercise will fix mine.

As for ever running again, he said running is hard even on normal knees. It is too bad my above average ones got ruined. But good chance my damaged ones, being below average now, should never be ran on again.

The main reason for me to not get one is range of motion is limited. He can only bend his knee to about 90 degrees. I said no way to that.
    ya - im hyperflexive due to connective tissue issues - and the reconstructed ankle has WAY less range - but its stable - so its a toss up for me i guess - prolly will have to have other ankle done eventually - but the pain meds dont work great on me - so its a bit barbaric.

ya - im hyperflexive due to connective tissue issues - and the reconstructed ankle has WAY less range - but its stable - so its a toss up for me i guess - prolly will have to have other ankle done eventually - but the pain meds dont work great on me - so its a bit barbaric.
    I've read some people are in extreme pain afterwards, some are in almost no pain, and some become addicted to meds.

I climbed a rope lattice yesterday. I did ok. But I confirmed that any slight drop onto the rope was painful on my knees, even though the lattice gives.

I read up on different swimming strokes.
    The breath stroke has the most accelleration and is the fastest for less than 5 meters, because of the frog kick. Also can keep your head out of the water.
    But the front crawl is much faster and efficient for anything further.
    The backstroke is for people bored of looking at the pool bottom who want to view the ceiling instead. Might work arm muscles differently.
    The butterfly is for people who want to swim like a dolphine, use different muscles, and have the energy. Might be useful underwater or good for steady pushing.

The side stroke is the easiest of all, best for ultra long distance, but slower than the crawl at least up to medium distance. It is what lifeguards use to bring people in, and is what the military uses.

The dolphine uses every muscle vigorously. The front and back crawls get most propulsion from the upper body. They can work the legs, but the legs are best minimized on long distance.

Sounds like all are worth learning. So asked why the front crawl is not the only one used. Versatility and is the answer.

I plan on adding some pool wirkouts to help with my rehab.

Swimmers do get injuries, mostly from pushing too hard, but also can get injured by not using the right form, which means they work harder than they have to.

My sports doctor told me ankle surgery risks infection and would not help me. They could remove scar tissue, but he said it would grow back, plus all the recovery.

Knee surgery would have longer term improvements, letting me hike more and run a bit. But I'd lose flexibility. And hiking distance would still be limited by my ankles.

He said my best bet is to not run or jump and to just do squats and lose weight.

The breath stroke is well named. It is for people who like to keep their face out of the water, especially in a murky pond. The olympics uses a more efficient version that keeps the face in the water most of the time.

The combat side stroke has a less efficient arm stroke and a leg motion that uses smaller muscles more, to be less noisy. The regular side stroke is better for long distance and for dragging a drown victim.

Tomorrow is leg day again. Ill be hanging from straps again to do assisted lunges. I might go a bit less deep too, but more reps.

I bet I can strebgthen it. I just have to be sure to not make it worse.

As for the crack, it would be nice if they could drill the ends of the crack so it is less likely to propagate.

My trainer had me do more exercises that got my quads and lungs but did not hurt my knees. My leg workouts are run like a physical therapy session. Many of the same exercises my therapist had me doing years ago before she had me run down some stairs just to see if I was still injured.

Today I learned that imitating the side stroke I saw on YouTube is not easy. I was completely uncoordinated. I think the rescue swim I learned was a backward stroke similar to the side stroke.

Also, pool chlorine irritates my eyes, so I need googles.
    Also, a snorkel would let me focus on my strokes. My exhauling and inhauling needs lots of work.