jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)

Does it matter feeling the muscle

I had read here several times from several people that "you don't need to feel the muscle during an exercise, because it will grow anyway" when someone opens a thread, complaining he doesn't feel his chest working during bench, for example. (I don't understand how, though, but there are people who have this problem)

Another different opinion... that I have also seen on Renaissance Periodisation, by the way, that you must feel the muscle.

Timestamped at 4:48 also - https://youtu.be/n8EPW8e4H2g?t=288

Cliff: "A pre-exaust type thing can be great if you have a hard time feeling the muscle. Everyone says pressing movements are best for chest which there is some truth for that, but what if you don't feel pressing movements in your chest? Then, for you, there is no truth in that. While I feel the fly is great... that normally traditionally wouldn't be a big movement for putting on size on your chest, but if you feel it more than any other press, then guess what, that's going to be the best mass builder for your chest. If you don't feel the muscle at all, is not gonna work. Again, we can get into the nitty-gritty here kind of debate how much do you have to feel... but if you don't feel the trained muscle at all... I'll tell you right now, you are not doing **** for that muscle"

Opinions?
    Last edited by jaxqen; 09-28-2021 at 01:46 PM.

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Seems to me that this subjective sense of "feeling" the muscle is an acquired neural skill of sorts. I originally didn't feel bench in my chest (while performing the exercise at least, despite DOMS later), but now I do.

You tend to hear that more from beginners/novices who are relatively undeveloped overall and have little experience doing the major lifts with good form.

So, my two cents is that it is more of a reaction to and evidence of the right process, rather than a precursor to it which will be automatic from the get-go. Each muscle's integral involvement in a movement pattern stands regardless of that being subjectively apparent.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Feel" matters to an experienced bodybuilder. To a noob who swears up and down that he's benching without using his pecs, not so much.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    "Feel" matters to an experienced bodybuilder. To a noob who swears up and down that he's benching without using his pecs, not so much.
    BRB need to activate my glutes

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    During the lift?
    Not especially in compounds.. No.

But if you can't feel what you are doing with a single joint or "isolation" movements, or at least AFTER the movement, then youre ****ing up wholesale and wasting your time as its 99% likely not n doing what you think.

Look up internal vs external cueing and (intent of) bar velocity .. Start with nuckols/stronger by science and go from there.

Simple rules of thumb.

Big Compounds or explosive/str focused lifts.
    External cueing.
    Controlled but not slow eccentric, optional deadstop/pause, maximum effort concentric.

Isolations,/small compounds for hyp.
    Internal cuing.
    Focus on the muscle, feel the strech, feel the contraction, slow things down a little (no need to go past a 2s eccentric or an excessively slow concentric) and pick lifts you can feel work the target ideally at long muscle lengths.
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 09-28-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.
    Washed up meathead

I don't always reply to threads. Cos I don't always remember I posted in the first place😅

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    BRB need to activate my glutes
    Pics or it isn't activated.
    Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I thinks feeling the target muscle and mind muscle connection BS that’s spewed around is a bit different. I think Joe provides a lot better context in this one

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B6BKIsp...dium=copy_link

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pre-fatigue is the way to go for compounds, then you really do feel it, and you will find out that it is important indeed.

4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000) 4everalone is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah it matters. Dont let powerlifters tell you otherwise.
    Follows Chestbrah's training routine crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I think it's a bit like DOMS - if you never get any, maybe you should be worried. If one particular exercise doesn't give you DOMS even though its progressing nicely, don't worry about it.

There probably are cases where supporting muscles like forearms give out before you feel any real fatigue response in the target muscle - then maybe that is something to worry about. Especially if you were doing high reps and expecting a pump. Lower reps, not so much.