Oilwrestler15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Critique my workout routine

I've modified a routine by looking alternatives for what I can't do in my homegym. I can't deadlift or squat because of back issues. Keep in mind this was a routine favoring strength/power over aesthetics, but I added some shoulder accessories to leg day. Looking for reviews;

Push:

DB Chest Press 4x8

DB Incline Chest Press 4x7

DB Flies 3x12

Incline Flies 3x12

Weighted Dips 3x8

Lying Triceps Extension 4x12

Pull:

Weighted Pull-ups/Chin-ups 4x8

DB Rows 4x8

Shrug 4x8

Curl 3x12

Back Hyper 3x10

Legs:

Calf Raise 3x15

Weighted Lunges

Hip Thrusts 4x12

Single Leg Squat (Bodyweight) 4x8

OHP 3x12

Lateral Raise 3x15

Rear Delt Flies 3x15

Also do lots of ab work like leg raises, planks, ab wheel rollouts 4 days a week. My biggest issue is lower body, since I can't do things like back squats and leg presses are the most difficult thing to replicate in a homegym. I workout 6 days a week.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Define “back issues”

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Define “back issues”
    Hernia. I had a mild one and continued deadlifting despite what my doctor said and it progressed, so not doing those anymore. Form is correct, I got it checked many times.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some thoughts:

- Have some variation between the 2 PPL days each week, instead of doing the exact same thing both days.

- Some of the order of your exercises seems off.

- Is push heavy, esp when considering there's no DL variation anywhere.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Some thoughts:

- Have some variation between the 2 PPL days each week, instead of doing the exact same thing both days.

- Some of the order of your exercises seems off.

- Is push heavy, esp when considering there's no DL variation anywhere.
    1. Should I add alternative movements or complementary exercises, and why? Geniunely curious

2. Yeah didn't plan much on that. Any suggestions?

3. Again, what would you suggest? I'm thinking about adding hang cleans but probably doesn't cut it enough

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Oilwrestler15 View Post
    Keep in mind this was a routine favoring strength/power over aesthetics
    Can't think of a PPL that isn't focused on aesthetics. Post the original.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Paul Carter Mass Routine

Day 1 – Push

A.  Chest Pressing Movement 
    B.  Chest Isolation Movement 
    C.  Shoulder Pressing Movement 
    D.  Shoulder Isolation Movement 
    E.  Triceps Movement (compound variation) 
    F.  Triceps Movement (isolation variation) 

Note: Examples of compound triceps movements include dips and close-grip bench presses, while examples of triceps isolation movements include kickbacks and cable extensions.

Day 2 – Pull

A.  Vertical Pulling Movement 
    B.  Another Vertical Pulling Movement 
    C.  Horizontal Pulling Movement 
    D.  Another Horizontal Pulling Movement 
    E.  2 Biceps Movements (pretty much all curl variations) 

Day 3 – Legs

A.  Quad Isolation Movement 
    B.  Quad Compound Movement 
    C.  Hamstring Isolation Movement 
    D.  Hamstring Compound Movement 
    E.  2 Calf Movements 
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Should I add alternative movements or complementary exercises, and why? Geniunely curious
    I'd split up some of the stuff you're doing on each day into the 2 days, change some rep ranges and maybe switch some alternate exercises where appropriate. It's not really a strength program so I wouldn't worry too much about rep ranges. Tbh I don't care to debate the why of it all.

For ex, I wouldn't do dips after flies personally, start leg day with calf raises or do OHP towards the end of leg day or on leg day at all. You shouldn't have so much volume on Push day that you can't fit OHP there.

3. Again, what would you suggest? I'm thinking about adding hang cleans but probably doesn't cut it enough
    I'd do less on push day first of all (see above), and then prob do a little more row variations then vertical pulling, maybe add a couple sets of db lat pullovers.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd drop the flies on push day and do some overhead presses and Arnold presses.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Oilwrestler15 View Post

Good news! You don’t have to do any kind of pull from the floor to build up the ass and hams or lower back.

The absolute best exercise for the glutes/proximal hams/erectors is loaded back extensions. I made a post about it with a linked study as well, in the exercise forum.

However, I would consult a sports physio before you do ANYTHING that could potentially piss off your back. That includes OHP since your erectors are involved pretty heavily there too.

But, you should find a way to strengthen them. Some low impact stuff I program is paused bird dogs. Low impact, perfect form and breathing each rep. Hell, I still do them myself.

Practicing the hinge pattern is a must as well. Bodyweight good mornings are great for this, stopping just shy of discomfort.

Just my 2 cents.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Problems I see will end up being in the shoulders girdle. Possibly a trip to burn out city if you’re running it 6 days per week.