czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

RDL & HH same day?

Hello all,

I’m Doing a 4 day U/L split. On my Lower hypertrophy day can I schedule RDL and together with another HH like hip thrust on the same day?

Thanks,

czulsk
    Last edited by czulsk; 09-24-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    RDL is a hip hinge.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes you can. Hip thruster puts the emphasis on the full extension side of the ROM which is in contrast to the RDL so they work well together.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can do whatever you want

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes you can. Hip thruster puts the emphasis on the full extension side of the ROM which is in contrast to the RDL so they work well together.

I’m concerned if it will be over taxing and unnecessary exercises.

Leg day routine I planned

RDL
    Hack Squat
    Hip thrust
    Bulgarian split squats
    Calves.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by czulsk View Post

RDL
    Hack Squat
    Hip thrust
    Bulgarian split squats
    Calves.
    Hip thrusts works the glutes in the shortened position. RDLs work them in the lengthened position. They could compliment each other very well

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

RDL
    Hack Squat
    Hip thrust
    Bulgarian split squats
    Calves.
    So keep a lid on total volume (number of hard sets).

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Hip thrusts works the glutes in the shortened position. RDLs work them in the lengthened position. They could compliment each other very well
    Cool. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    So keep a lid on total volume (number of hard sets).

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to use that day for leg hypertrophy.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to use that day for leg hypertrophy.
    Fun fact about leg training, the quads can take a lot of abuse. Like you got 10 more after the burn makes you want to quit.

A good rule of thumb for legs:

Quads= high volume
    Hip extension= moderate to high volume
    Knee flexion (leg curls)= lower to moderate volume
    Single leg= lower to moderate volume
    Calves (if you do em right)= moderate volume

-Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fun fact about leg training, the quads can take a lot of abuse. Like you got 10 more after the burn makes you want to quit.

A good rule of thumb for legs:

Quads= high volume
    Hip extension= moderate to high volume
    Knee flexion (leg curls)= lower to moderate volume
    Single leg= lower to moderate volume
    Calves (if you do em right)= moderate volume
    I always thought the volume burnout was more applicable to calves than quads, due to their moderate use even in sedentary life.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I always thought the volume burnout was more applicable to calves than quads, due to their moderate use even in sedentary life.
    A lot of people don’t hit calves optimally. You see a lot of bouncing reps and that is all Achilles’ tendon. That is the thickest strongest tendon in the body and handles that with gusto.

To train calves, you have to kill the stretch reflex. So 3-5 second pauses at peak contraction are a must. Then after, or during the set, stretch them under load, again for time. 3-5 seconds intra set, or for up to a minute after (my preference).

It helps to do that before any kind of quad compound too. Gets the ankles nice and loosened up.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 09-24-2021 at 12:14 PM.

-Sir Isaac Newton

A lot of people don’t hit calves optimally. You see a lot of bouncing reps and that is all Achilles’ tendon. That is the thickest strongest tendon in the body and handles that with gusto.

To train calves, you have to kill the stretch reflex. So 3-5 second pauses at peak contraction are a must. Then after, or during the set, stretch them under load, again for time. 3-5 seconds intra set, or for up to a minute after (my preference).

It helps to do that before any kind of quad compound too. Gets the ankles nice and loosened up.
    So pause at the concentric part. Once I feel the stretch hold it for a few secs. I actually do blow right through my standing calf exercises. I don't have any calf machines, and I do the exercise at home. I use some water jugs to add resistance. At times I find it hard to keep the pause at top.

My standing claves:
    4 sets 15 reps

So pause at the concentric part. Once I feel the stretch hold it for a few secs. I actually do blow right through my standing calf exercises. I don't have any calf machines, and I do the exercise at home. I use some water jugs to add resistance. At times I find it hard to keep the pause at top.

My standing claves:
    4 sets 15 reps
    If you don’t have any way to do them at home, then donkey calf raises would be my go-to.

-Sir Isaac Newton

If you don’t have any way to do them at home, then donkey calf raises would be my go-to.
    Alright... thanks

I can do them, just need to hit them hard..

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Donkey calf raises are excellent, my only issue with them is they seem to require more weight than I have to get a good stimulation from. For calves, whether i'm focusing on soleus or gastrocnemius, I find again and again that it's the one legged stuff that really fries em the most. And as a bonus, barely takes any weight to do it. Take that, resistant as heck calf muscles!
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Donkey calf raises are excellent, my only issue with them is they seem to require more weight than I have to get a good stimulation from. For calves, whether i'm focusing on soleus or gastrocnemius, I find again and again that it's the one legged stuff that really fries em the most. And as a bonus, barely takes any weight to do it. Take that, resistant as heck calf muscles!
    Probably, my best bet is to do them unilateral. Donkey calves I will be able to hit both calf muscles. I don't need to worry about doing seated calf raise.

another option is to use water jugs 1 gallon water, or even use a weighted back pack to do donkey calves.