Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

How many days per week should I see a personal trainer?

I've been working out for years but never took a weights class. I'm still doing beginner weight. My gym got me to buy a 3 month contract, three 1-hour sessions per week, 36 total, $65 each.

Should I try to renegotiate the spacing between sessions? I just got it today and have not yet done a session. Think they would agree to 2x per week for 4.5 months instead? The contract has a check box for 3 or 6 months and auto renews monthly after that.

My concern is what if I get really sore 48 hours after a full body session. Will the next session be wasted? Will the trainer just leave me on a cardio machine? I'd rather they critique my form if I'm paying.

I don't think I need a drill sargent. I'm a former cross country runner and push myself just fine, maybe too hard. I just need someone to see what I'm doing and give me guidance on what I could change. I especially want someone to watch my compound free weight lifts.

I was told the trainers focus on technique not burnout. But I was also told that working out when sore is fine and just means I'm adjusting to a new program, which contradicts everything online but matches what a YMCA coach told me. I hope they don't plan to make more per hour by getting me to not show up due to soreness.

Another option is to do a push pull split on the 3 day schedule, alternating the weeks with 2 and 1. But that is not exactly optimized for beginner. It would work within the contract though, and would never have me sore on a workout day.

Thanks.

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I should add:
    My goals is to lose a pound of fat per week without losing any muscle, for the first 6 weeks, then spend the second 6 weeks doing a clean bulk, so I get trained on both. That and learn technique and how to squat with a bad knee.

I currently do high rep low weight on lots of muscle groups to avoid agrevating old injuries.

My guess is I should play it buy ear. If I get too sore, hopefully it is just one type of muscle group and I can switch to the split on the fly.

I just wonder how good or bad 3 sessions per week is in my situation.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    That's tricky. Most of us learned weight training without using a PT just fine. You can watch videos in the Exercises forum sticky threads. You can use one of the ready made programs. You can post form videos for checking you are doing it right.

PTs can be a real crapshoot. Some are aweful and will get you doing things that are very ineffective - making things seem way more complex than they really are. This is so that you become dependent on them. On the other hand, a good PT will help you learn the lifts. On balance, I still think not to personal training for anyone who is reasonably self motivated.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You’re paying way too much

Any personal trainer that tells you, you can lose a pound a week and not lose any muscle is selling snake oil laced lies. Unless you are obese

Push pull is fine for a beginner

Weight training isn’t some magical mystery. If you’re training and not recovering before training again, you’re most likely just spinning your wheels and not going anywhere

I personally think full body is only good for a novice just trying to maintain and really just doesn’t have goals or expectations for working out

I’ve had coaches and trainers. I think they are good for say you want to learn a new sport. I.e. competitive power lifting or if you were going to do a strong man competition or body building.

Just to get in shape, Unless you really need a babysitter at the gym pushing you to workout, are not needed. Go do a few classes at the gym like chisel and spin instead

I think you should have him teach you good form once a week if even
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

90% of the people at my gym don't look serious. Well, maybe 40% are, but I can't tell which ones and would hesitate to ask most to watch me. Lots of really out of shape people who slowly bedal bikes on level 1 or use machines with the lowest weight. And some guys who grunt and then throw down heavy weights.

The only people I trust 99% are the muscular women. Clearly they know how to get there, and they are mature. But I would not want to waste their time, and they might be trainers who'd be giving a freebie if they helped.

I can google and youtube propper form. Hopefully I can find a mirror so I can see myself from the side. Maybe I'll ask someone to see if the weight I'm using looks right.

Two of my friends who are into weight lifting said they never hired a trainer but that if it sets me in the right direction, it is worth the money. Neither knows what level I'm at. They probably are thinking, "if he has to ask, then he must need one," which might not be correct in my case. My brother says had he not taken a weight class, he would have learned on YouTube, and that I should not experiment.

The only other people I see at the gym getting trained are seniors who need motivation to move at all. So they hire a good looking trainer. I definitely don't need that.

I found this:
    https://stronglifts.com/squat/#Can_y...have_bad_knees

Looks like the only argument out there is whether to go below parallel. He says we should and that olympians do.

He also says to not look in the mirror. So Ill tell people what to look for and ask them to watch me from the side.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Darkius View Post
    He also says to not look in the mirror. So Ill tell people what to look for and ask them to watch me from the side.
    Film yourself and review afterwards. The reason to not look in the mirror is so you don't rely on sight to tell you you're moving correctly.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just record yourself on your phone, please do not twist your head around while lifting to watch your form

What is your current bench, squat and deadlift
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Just record yourself on your phone, please do not twist your head around while lifting to watch your form

What is your current bench, squat and deadlift

I don't know my current numbers.

Years ago, at my prime, I squated 135 pounds "ass to grass". I weighed 150 then too. I can't do that with my bad knee now. Body weight squats started hurting my knee a bit after 10 reps, with zero quad burn. I challenge my quads on a bike, 140 watts for 30 minutes.

I currently do 25 pushups on my fists, which does mean longer range of motion. My thumbs and wrists don't let me bench press. I used to bench 155 pounds back before my rollerblading crashes. After these years, I would not be surprised if my max fell to 125 even if my wrists were fixed. I just do machine presses now, so I can just use my palm heels. With all the pulleys, I can't accurately say what I'm lifting, unless I get out a tape measure.

I've not tried deadlifts recently. An old elbow tendon injury flares up when I carry a lot of 40 pound boxes around or lift 40 pound water jugs.

I mostly do high rep workouts on machines. Squats seems like the compound lift that is closest to being in reach right now. I plan to do them without the bar and later add the bar when I'm sure my form is good and my knee is not complaining. Even the bike sometimes leads to knee pain after 20 minutes. I just stop and try again a few days later.

I weigh 160 but definitely can lose 10 pounds of recent fat, which is one of my priorities. Strengthening my knee is another.
    Last edited by Darkius; 09-24-2021 at 04:37 PM.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All you need is to read up on one of the beginner weight training programs listed on this site and for fatloss read the stickies at the top of this forum. All you need is there plus the ability to come on the forum with questions. A trainer isn't necessary as the majority will complicate things to seem like they have secrets when it reality this is a simple process.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

I don't know my current numbers.

Years ago, at my prime, I squated 135 pounds "ass to grass". I weighed 150 then too. I can't do that with my bad knee now. Body weight squats started hurting my knee a bit after 10 reps, with zero quad burn. I challenge my quads on a bike, 140 watts for 30 minutes.

I currently do 25 pushups on my fists, which does mean longer range of motion. My thumbs and wrists don't let me bench press. I used to bench 155 pounds back before my rollerblading crashes. After these years, I would not be surprised if my max fell to 125 even if my wrists were fixed. I just do machine presses now, so I can just use my palm heels. With all the pulleys, I can't accurately say what I'm lifting, unless I get out a tape measure.

I've not tried deadlifts recently. An old elbow tendon injury flares up when I carry a lot of 40 pound boxes around or lift 40 pound water jugs.

I mostly do high rep workouts on machines. Squats seems like the compound lift that is closest to being in reach right now. I plan to do them without the bar and later add the bar when I'm sure my form is good and my knee is not complaining. Even the bike sometimes leads to knee pain after 20 minutes. I just stop and try again a few days later.

I weigh 160 but definitely can lose 10 pounds of recent fat, which is one of my priorities. Strengthening my knee is another.
    I would go to physical therapy not see a trainer at the gym. You need a doctor not some dude with a 2 month online cert
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

I dropped the package from 36 sessions down to 12. Now the gym workers like me a lot.

My trainer is a woman. She must have researched some therapy exercises before our meeting. She had me hang onto straps attached to the wall and lean back. This statically worked my back while also reducing the weight on my knee. I did several lunges without issue. I felt the knee tendons getting worked a bit, but no damage. In fact my knee feels great now. I still had to use a bike to exercise my quads.

She then had me do several other exercises I had never done before, for different muscle groups. All felt great.

After she left I did my usual back workout and repeated a set each of the new exercises so I'd remember them.

Once a week is very affordable, so I'm not stressing it. Also, her appearance is absolutely stunning. Once I get my business going I'll increase it to 3x a week.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    . Also, her appearance is absolutely stunning. .
    Pix?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000) mtnmama is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    was gonna say the exact same thing!!! mirrors and ppl looking in them cause injuries!!!

when i went back in the gym (i usually lift at home) after ankle surgery - i sought out and hired a PT who was also a PT - not joking. and i needed to make sure the lifting i was doing wouldnt hurt my recovery...so she modified and had me do lifts - normal, free weight, make me happy lifts - that i could do an risk less reinjury. finding a PT who has PT training is unusual, tho - so prolly not relevant to you.

I hope she has physical therapy training. Seems possible. But also possible she just researched therapy exercises before starting. She did recover from her own knee injury years ago. So she might have additional research knowledge from that.

I read that physical therapists are $125 per hour. So $65 per hour is nice. I just don't know if my doctor would prescribe one or not. I recall my previous therapist had me doing even lighter exercises with a ball. I don't know if my knee needs that light or not.

My therapist had me lay on the floor, put a ball under my foot, do a plank, and then bend my knee to roll the ball towards me. Worked the hamstrings a bit but also stabilizers. I might incorporate more of those. Also ankle rubber bands. I'm trying to remember what else. Several light exercises aimed at knee stabilizers.

I don't have to research them myself. I can ask my trainer to. She does not seem to mind, as it improves her repertoire for future clients. I'll first try the ones I remember to see if they help.

Looks like she'll mostly be having me do her new exercises and will let me do my normal exercise afterward, though she will watch my form on my normal exercises later.
    Last edited by Darkius; 09-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Pix?
    I know you're just joking, but I'd never take or post a picture of a law abiding person without her permission. Anyone doing so would likely be seen, and it would be a flagrant foul. I like things just the way they are.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know you're just joking, but I'd never take or post a picture of a law abiding person without her permission. Anyone doing so would likely be seen, and it would be a flagrant foul. I like things just the way they are.
    I don't think he was joking, and why should he be? It is legal to photograph or videotape anything and anyone on any public property, within reasonable community standards. Not sure what someone being "law abiding" has to do with anything.

I'm sure there's probably plenty of photos of her available online if she has a public page or website to promote her training services.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.