BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Setting up routine for chaotic schedules

Good day all,

I have a fairly chaotic schedule. I end up working out on seemingly random days, which is the byproduct of working 50hrs/wk and having a busy family.

I usually can get a good 2 hours in the gym per session (1.5hrs lifting followed by 15-30m cardio to loosen up). If I lift more than 1.5hrs, I start crashing the next day which effects my job

However my days in the gym change every week, as does frequency. Some weeks I can get 6 days if I dare, other weeks only 2 days.

I've averaged 3-4 days per week the past few months and this seems to be the pattern to come.

With a nutty, random schedule like this, I feel like I need to be doing 2-day splits so that I can at least get one day per major group in each week.

What would you all do? How would you split it up?

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have a rotation of exercises and the ones you don't do, do the next time you workout

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Improvise, adapt, overcome. Doesn't sound that nutty or chaotic tbh.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BadGaskets350 View Post
    Good day all,

I have a fairly chaotic schedule. I end up working out on seemingly random days, which is the byproduct of working 50hrs/wk and having a busy family.

I usually can get a good 2 hours in the gym per session (1.5hrs lifting followed by 15-30m cardio to loosen up). If I lift more than 1.5hrs, I start crashing the next day which effects my job

However my days in the gym change every week, as does frequency. Some weeks I can get 6 days if I dare, other weeks only 2 days.

I've averaged 3-4 days per week the past few months and this seems to be the pattern to come.

With a nutty, random schedule like this, I feel like I need to be doing 2-day splits so that I can at least get one day per major group in each week.

What would you all do? How would you split it up?

The single greatest thing I ever did in terms of lifting is this…

Upper

Off

Lower plus arms

Off

Repeat

There is no schedule that fits life better than this in my opinion and my workouts are high volume, heavy weights, to failure, in and out in about 45-60 min
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadGaskets350 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Have a rotation of exercises and the ones you don't do, do the next time you workout
    Understood. That's kinda what I am doing, so I'm glad to hear this suggested.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    The single greatest thing I ever did in terms of lifting is this…

Upper

Off

Lower plus arms

Off

Repeat

There is no schedule that fits life better than this in my opinion and my workouts are high volume, heavy weights, to failure, in and out in about 45-60 min
    Glad to hear this, it's roughly what I'm doing.

I actually have a rotation of 4 different upper days and 4 different leg days each with different workouts and emphases. It just sucks sometimes going over a week and a half missing certain exercises that I really like. I love cable Crossover but don't have time to do it every upper-day. So I have 2 days I do various bench exercises, and 2 days I do cable Crossover and dips.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Improvise, adapt, overcome. Doesn't sound that nutty or chaotic tbh.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome. That's the story of my life right there lol. Although I haven't been handed the sort of adversity that some people have. My biggest struggles in recent years is the constant fixing/repairing of bull**** engineering and poor build quality.

I appreciate your encouragement here.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1.5 hrs of lifting is a lot.

What all do you do in that time?

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Understood. That's kinda what I am doing, so I'm glad to hear this suggested.

Glad to hear this, it's roughly what I'm doing.

I actually have a rotation of 4 different upper days and 4 different leg days each with different workouts and emphases. It just sucks sometimes going over a week and a half missing certain exercises that I really like. I love cable Crossover but don't have time to do it every upper-day. So I have 2 days I do various bench exercises, and 2 days I do cable Crossover and dips.

Improvise, adapt, overcome. That's the story of my life right there lol. Although I haven't been handed the sort of adversity that some people have. My biggest struggles in recent years is the constant fixing/repairing of bull**** engineering and poor build quality.

I appreciate your encouragement here.

Every upper day has these constantly for me:
    Bench, incline, row, lat pull, military press, upright row, side lateral
    And every lower plus arms day has squats, leg
    Press or front squats, leg ext, leg curls,calf raises, ezcurls , db curls, skull crushers and pushdown

I dont mind mixing up the rest based on interest and time
    Last edited by coachcalande; 09-24-2021 at 01:01 AM.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    1.5 hrs of lifting is a lot.

What all do you do in that time?
    Every day is different so I can't really say specifically, but today I did 4 different bench press variations, 3 different lat pulldown variations, reverse easybar curls, cable curls, tricep push downs, and finished off with seated dips(machine).

Everything other than the arm Isolations were 4 sets if 8-10 reps using weights heavy enough to be nearly failure. The arm Isolations are lighter weights higher reps b/c they are already fatigued by the compounds.

That's too many lat pull variations but I'm struggling to connect my lats before wrecking my biceps so I'm trying out various methods.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you do 4 bench variations and 3 lat pulldowns? Do you do any lower body training?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Why would you do 4 bench variations and 3 lat pulldowns? Do you do any lower body training?
    Yes obviously. What I posted was just today. Tomorrow is leg day. I'm doing two day splits.

I'm cycling through 8 different workouts (day 1 through day 8) that takes me 2-3 weeks to complete. All the even #s are lower and all the odd#s are upper.

I just end up sometimes with nearly a week between two leg days or two upper days, because of life.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seems like you're doing a lot of busywork and fluff. No one needs 4 different bench variations in the same workout.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seems like you're doing a lot of busywork and fluff. No one needs 4 different bench variations in the same workout.
    How else are you going to hit the inner, outer, upper and lower pecs?

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tactical Barbell has their Operator Intermediate/Advanced Template which is great for adjusting to odd work schedules. Many military folks I know who use it like it for that flexibility.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    How else are you going to hit the inner, outer, upper and lower pecs?
    I get and agree with your basic idea here, but it's not like that's never called for, either. I've worked out with people who have done it and have done it myself, in 30+ set, high volume and intensity sessions. Maybe that was inefficient but you can't write it off as a waste of time, either.
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    I get and agree with your basic idea here, but it's not like that's never called for, either. I've worked out with people who have done it and have done it myself, in 30+ set, high volume and intensity sessions. Maybe that was inefficient but you can't write it off as a waste of time, either.
    You sound like a slacker compared to OP if that's all you do in those sessions.

today I did 4 different bench press variations, 3 different lat pulldown variations, reverse easybar curls, cable curls, tricep push downs, and finished off with seated dips(machine).

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Most of the time, I combine push and pull movements so there's a corresponding 3-4 variations in pulls. Some of the time after that, I do isolations, but not always.

That said, OP might very well be working harder than me. He didn't specify any weights but mine might be lighter. Usually I'm not adversely affected the next day, so I'm thinking maybe so...
    Bench: 340
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is one of the reasons why I love 5/3/1. When my schedule is ridiculous, I can get two workouts in a week and make progress. Hell, I can get ONE workout in if I'm absolutely scrambling: just do my three sets for the Big Four and call it good. During football season (I coach), I rarely have time for more than 2-3 workouts in a week and 5/3/1 fits the bill. I also have an adjustable bench and a set of adjustable dumbbells at home so there are times when I just hit a simple DB workout to get my endorphins up. I crawl home at 3am after a long away game, get a few hours of sleep, really don't feel like dragging myself to the gym so I hammer out a half-hour long full body DB workout.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Once you're fairly strong 4 diff variations of chest in a single work out will reck your shoulders. Doing ohp, incline, and flat in one session will eventually become impossible. it's best to rotate lifts. Flat press\incline fly mon, incline press\flat d b press thur. After 3 months rotate variations to help with joints. Quality work plus progressive overload always beats a bunch of junk.

I've taken a lot of the great advice here to heart.

One of the reasons why I have been doing so many variations is learning what exercises and form makes good connections.

I revamped my schedule based on many of your suggestions. I'm still doing 2-day splits (Chest/Shoulders/Arms.... Legs/Back/Traps). I have 8 days total (4 upper, 4 leg/back) that I cycle through over the course of two-three weeks.

The major change however is that I've removed a LOT of exercises I couldn't connect with well. Also bought some straps for deadlift because my back gets bottlenecked by my grip otherwise. But I'm still working on grip by doing farmers walk and using dumbbells when possible.

To deal with the chaotic schedule, especially the scenario where I only get one or two workouts before a long week, I added a full-body "Day Z" which is almost entirely barbell and landmines that are NOT a part of the normal 8-day cycle. It's also a little more endurance focused rather than power. I did one on Friday and I still feel DOMS from it. When schedule gets odd, I'll do a "Day Z" and then step back into wherever I left off in my 8 day rotation.

Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    Once you're fairly strong 4 diff variations of chest in a single work out will reck your shoulders. Doing ohp, incline, and flat in one session will eventually become impossible. it's best to rotate lifts. Flat press\incline fly mon, incline press\flat d b press thur. After 3 months rotate variations to help with joints. Quality work plus progressive overload always beats a bunch of junk.