astralmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Increasing reps to increase max weight?

Hi, a gym trainer told me today that if I am stuck on the same weight limit (265 pounds) for a bench press exercise I should instead lower the weight by ~20-40 pounds and increase the amount of reps instead. So, for example If I am doing 10 reps with 265 pounds but cannot do the same amount of reps with 280 pounds, I should instead bench press 230 pounds with 20 reps. I was always told by previous trainers that more reps + less weights increases endurance but does not help that much for increasing your weight limit. Instead, you become 'used' to the weight you are bench pressing and are able to endure higher amount of reps. But in order to increase your weights, it is better to first bench press the desired weight (eg. 280) by 4-6 times and then keep adding 1-2 reps every week until you can lift it 10 times. When I told him this, he said I was wrong.
    So just to summarize, I was always told previously that high amount of reps + lower wieghts = bigger endurance. Higher weights + starting with lower amount of reps and slowly increasing = the way to increase your upper weight limit.
    Was I told wrong?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personal trainer here and something I’ve noticed…..most trainers don’t have a single clue as to what they are talking about.

For one, you should vary your rep ranges. Heavy work, and lighter “back off work”. The focus should be on accelerating the bar as fast as possible on the concentric and controlling the eccentric.

Secondly, how is your diet? Benching (and most pressing in general) responds to changes in body weight. More bodyweight = generally bigger bench.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Personal trainer here and something I’ve noticed…..most trainers don’t have a single clue as to what they are talking about.

For one, you should vary your rep ranges. Heavy work, and lighter “back off work”. The focus should be on accelerating the bar as fast as possible on the concentric and controlling the eccentric.

Secondly, how is your diet? Benching (and most pressing in general) responds to changes in body weight. More bodyweight = generally bigger bench.
    Thank you for replying.
    My diet consists of three meals a day, oatmeal every morning, chicken fillet with salad for dinner and cottage cheese with bananas or other fruit in the evening. ON Whey Gold 40gr servings twice a day.
    Would you say that the 'lower your weight and instead increase reps to break through your weight limit' ideology of the trainer in question is wrong?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by astralmaster View Post
    Thank you for replying.
    My diet consists of three meals a day, oatmeal every morning, chicken fillet with salad for dinner and cottage cheese with bananas or other fruit in the evening. ON Whey Gold 40gr servings twice a day.
    Would you say that the 'lower your weight and instead increase reps to break through your weight limit' ideology of the trainer in question is wrong?
    No, he isn’t wrong. Just didn’t word it vary well. But if your goal is a bigger 1RM, you’re gonna have to spend a good bit of time in 1-4 rep range, and in the 5-12 range to accumulate volume.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000) coachcalande is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for replying.
    Why are you eating so little? Food will be the first thing you need to make gains.

As far as making progress goes…OVERLOAD can be done several ways.

Some examples:
    1- use more weight than you used last time
    2- do more sets than you did last time
    3- do more reps than you did last time
    4- a combination of the above

Those things stimulate growth provided you have the food to actually repair and respond with a bigger, stronger muscle.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Fat ol man with 21.5 inch arms pushing for that 1500 pound club mark.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Why are you eating so little? Food will be the first thing you need to make gains.

As far as making progress goes…OVERLOAD can be done several ways.

Some examples:
    1- use more weight than you used last time
    2- do more sets than you did last time
    3- do more reps than you did last time
    4- a combination of the above

Those things stimulate growth provided you have the food to actually repair and respond with a bigger, stronger muscle.
    adding to this, what does the rest of your routine look like?

-Sir Isaac Newton

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Long working hours mostly
    Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by astralmaster; 09-22-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: wrong quote ending

adding to this, what does the rest of your routine look like?
    Three day workout week: Monday - Chest and triceps, Wednesday - Arms and Back, Friday - Legs and bicep

Three day workout week: Monday - Chest and triceps, Wednesday - Arms and Back, Friday - Legs and bicep
    Interesting. Lack of frequency is a likely culprit as well.

-Sir Isaac Newton

Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rsurf72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I want to rep this but I just got on the forum and am unsure how.

Edit- would it be wise to say, load up 100lb bench for 10 reps, over the next few weeks work up to 20 reps, then do 130 bench or whatever for 10 reps, work up, add more, repeat.
    Or is that novice garbage tactic? Better to have a set of high and low reps (and high and low weight) during the workout combined?

Originally Posted by Rsurf72 View Post
    I want to rep this but I just got on the forum and am unsure how.

Edit- would it be wise to say, load up 100lb bench for 10 reps, over the next few weeks work up to 20 reps, then do 130 bench or whatever for 10 reps, work up, add more, repeat.
    Or is that novice garbage tactic? Better to have a set of high and low reps (and high and low weight) during the workout combined?
    The best option would be to get on a proper novice program and follow it well. And do what coach says, eat big to lift big.

-Sir Isaac Newton