dcairns1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 with hamstring injury

Hello everyone, I have been running the Fierce 5 program for a little over a month now as my first real written program. I have had an upper hamstring/glute pain for probably 2-3 months now, but I have continued to lift on it for whatever reason. The pain is caused during squats and squat variations, as well as deadlifts/RDLs, and is a major pain that lasts for the rest of the day and inflames the area. I am wondering what I should do... should I stop training legs altogether and let it heal, should I continue on how I am currently working out, or should I modify the leg training? Thank you!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Really you should consult a sports physio and do what they recommend. Don't take shortcuts with your health.

In the meantime, only do an exercise if it doesn't cause any pain at the time. Some soreness afterwards when you get DOMS might be ok... ideally continue to do exercises but make them much lighter if you have to. Or at least stay as active and mobile as you can if not.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Really you should consult a sports physio and do what they recommend. Don't take shortcuts with your health.

In the meantime, only do an exercise if it doesn't cause any pain at the time. Some soreness afterwards when you get DOMS might be ok... ideally continue to do exercises but make them much lighter if you have to. Or at least stay as active and mobile as you can if not.
    Thank you for you reply. I have had an appointment and they recommended me to get an MRI so I am getting one soon. In the meantime should I do isolation exercises in place of squats/deadlifts and if so, which ones. Just the RDL/Deadlift motion without any weights causes pain, so its not like I can just go lighter.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would try to do the squats and deadlifts with lighter weight. Any shooting pains during that and stop immediately.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would try to do the squats and deadlifts with lighter weight. Any shooting pains during that and stop immediately.
    Ok thank you, should I throw in any extra leg exercises to make up for the lack of work they are getting? My current routine would now be

Workout A
    Bench 3x5
    Pendlay Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15
    Tricep pressdowns 2x10
    Lightweight squats

Workout B
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Hamstring Curl 3x8
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8
    Ab rollout 2x15