STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Back - Width vs Thickness exercises

Hi all,

Could someone help me with what BB/DB lifts that fall into either width/thickness category or if they are an all rounder? There must be 'better' than other lifts too? Currently my preferred lifts are BB row (supinated grip) and DB rows (neutral grip). Also have multi grip pull up bars, neutral is probably my most go to form.

Thanks!

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty simple

Width: emphasizes lats and teres major. Generally keeping the elbows tucked to the side (driving the elbow down) will work the lats preferentially.

Thickness: emphasizes traps, rhomboids and depending on the exercise, the erectors as well. For thickness, your gonna want some flair in the upper arm, basically trying to retract the scapula as much as possible.

Some of it is a little more nuanced than that but I pretty much covered the major differences.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EliKoehn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And if you perform deadlifts, rows and pullups consistently and with progression, you're 80% taken care of in both regards. However, with the latter two, elbow placement is a variable and could make a difference.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50) STRYDG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks BG/Eli.

That's good to know as I am doing those 3 exercises. With rows my grip is just roughly shoulder width, should I go wider? I do focus on pulling by trying to get elbows as far back a possible which helps that connection and retracting the scapula. Does the hand position or where you pull the bar to make much of a different on rows of pull up variations to the back?
    Last edited by STRYDG; 09-21-2021 at 05:33 PM.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by STRYDG View Post
    Thanks BG/Eli.

That's good to know as I am doing those 3 exercises. With rows my grip is just roughly shoulder width, should I go wider? I do focus on pulling by trying to get elbows as far back a possible which helps that connection and retracting the scapula. Does the hand position or where you pull the bar to make much of a different on rows of pull up variations to the back?
    Too wide (and too narrow, for that matter) is actually detrimental. I never go more than slightly beyond shoulder width. There just isn’t any advantage.

Hand and more importantly upper arm positioning, and where on the body you pull to, does make a difference, but it would be more readily apparent the more advanced you are as a lifter, if at all.

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't think it can be done, at least not in the sense to make it visible.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Underhand bent rows, I did those for awhile until it injured my elbow for many months. I learned my lesson, never again - on rows I always liked dumbbells better cause there's more stuff you can do with em and they unilaterally work the lat which I also love. As far as pullups, if i'm hitting back i'll use wide grip, but if i'm doing biceps i'll use chin ups as my main exercises, and superset with relevant isolations respectively.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Underhand bent rows, I did those for awhile until it injured my elbow for many months. I learned my lesson, never again - on rows I always liked dumbbells better cause there's more stuff you can do with em and they unilaterally work the lat which I also love. As far as pullups, if i'm hitting back i'll use wide grip, but if i'm doing biceps i'll use chin ups as my main exercises, and superset with relevant isolations respectively.
    I never program underhand rows of any sort for that reason. It is too easy to piss off the long head of the biceps and/or one of the more delicate elbow flexors.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 09-24-2021 at 10:31 PM.

-Sir Isaac Newton