Registered User absoluteunit222's Avatar
    absoluteunit222 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Plateau in Weight Loss, what should I do?

Hello internet fit people, this is the first question I have ever asked on any forum ever (so if i do something wrong let me know)

I am currently 190lbs trying to get to ~160-170lbs (male 19, 5 foot 10 inches). I have done sports for years in the past, so I know plenty about lifting/working out, but when it comes to diets or nutrition I know close to nothing.
    I have been working out for ~2 months consistently (1 hour lifting, 30 min cardio) for 6 days a week, and for the past month I have been eating 2500 cal a day. I started at ~3200 calories day and at 196lbs before I started limiting my calories. It was going well, I lost 6 lbs in the first week and a half, but now I have just stopped losing weight. Each morning the scale says 190 - 191 lbs, and it has been like this for about 2 1/2 weeks. I try to get 160 g of protein in and keep the rest mostly carbs. Should I lower my calories from 2500? I figured 3200 to 2500 was pushing it already, though I'm not super hungry on 2500. What do yall think?

edit: one of the sports i have done is wrestling, which has probably jacked up my perception of weight loss/gain since in wrestling eating little/having low water weight was key
    Last edited by absoluteunit222; 09-20-2021 at 06:17 PM.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Typically we say to wait for 3 weeks to pass before declaring yourself at a plateau, but you're just about there. Interesting that you would drop 6 lbs so quickly and then just stop losing though, usually that initial drop signifies you're in a deficit, but it typically wouldn't just halt after that unless you're not tracking calories as carefully as you think you are (this means weighing every single thing you eat down to the gram using a food scale).

Give it a few more days, but after that if the scale hasn't budged then you'll need to drop your calories further. 2500 is a fairly large amount of calories for a target of 160-170 though, so I'm not surprised that you would need to go down a bit further.

So wait a few days, then recommend you drop your intake by a few hundred calories a day and stick with that for a while and see how that works for you.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.