redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) redmchalo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Pause benching caused pain, bruising and popping in my sternum/lower rib area

I've never had these issues before and I've switched to pausing on my bench press work (flat and incline) for about 3 years with no issues. I was benching yesterday and noticed after my final warm up set, I had a slight ache in my sternum which I wasn't concerned about. My first working set was painful, every time I paused the bar on my chest my sternum began aching like crazy. The pain began radiating to my right lower rib. I did 2 more sets (I wanted to do 5x5) but decided to stop because of the discomfort. The day after, I have some slight bruising in that area and I feel some pain and even popping when I take a deep breath, cough, sneeze, etc.

I guess there are different styles of pause benching (Eric Spoto paused the bar lightly on his chest) but the style I have been using is sinking the bar into my chest, pausing it for a second or two and push back up/repeat. Not sure if the sinking caused me to have these issues but that is the way I have been pause benching. I have tried pause benching using a form similar to Spoto's but found it to be difficult with heavy weight, sinking the bar always felt better for me. I hope I didn't break a rib but what could this be? Can frequent pause benching cause injuries like this?

Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10) Szyszak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by redmchalo View Post
    I've never had these issues before and I've switched to pausing on my bench press work (flat and incline) for about 3 years with no issues. I was benching yesterday and noticed after my final warm up set, I had a slight ache in my sternum which I wasn't concerned about. My first working set was painful, every time I paused the bar on my chest my sternum began aching like crazy. The pain began radiating to my right lower rib. I did 2 more sets (I wanted to do 5x5) but decided to stop because of the discomfort. The day after, I have some slight bruising in that area and I feel some pain and even popping when I take a deep breath, cough, sneeze, etc.

I guess there are different styles of pause benching (Eric Spoto paused the bar lightly on his chest) but the style I have been using is sinking the bar into my chest, pausing it for a second or two and push back up/repeat. Not sure if the sinking caused me to have these issues but that is the way I have been pause benching. I have tried pause benching using a form similar to Spoto's but found it to be difficult with heavy weight, sinking the bar always felt better for me. I hope I didn't break a rib but what could this be? Can frequent pause benching cause injuries like this?
    maybe lack of mobility in internal rotation and some joints compensate? Did you notice that when you lower the bar to your chest that your shoulders roll forward?