Raspberry76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy How does push up train your chest muscle ?

I always have trouble pushing myself off the ground plank style and end up pushing my half upper body up first followed by the second half of my body. I don't feel any upper chest muscle activated, only felt my triceps doing most of the work. After that, my triceps are so sore.

Did I do wrongly ?

I have tried doing the wall push up to correct my form but I still feel my arms are the ones getting the soreness after that. I don't feel any other muscles activated other than my arms.

jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000) jaxqen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You should feel your chest, shoulders and triceps, same as in a bench press. Even some lats, traps + abs (it depends on your level)
    Wider stance - more chest dominant
    Narrow stance - triceps are involved a little more

- use a full range of motion with pushups
    - try different positions (wide + elbows tucked, wide + elbows less tucked)
    - try decline pushups

EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000) EiFit91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Raspberry76 View Post
    I always have trouble pushing myself off the ground plank style and end up pushing my half upper body up first followed by the second half of my body. I don't feel any upper chest muscle activated, only felt my triceps doing most of the work. After that, my triceps are so sore.

Did I do wrongly ?

I have tried doing the wall push up to correct my form but I still feel my arms are the ones getting the soreness after that. I don't feel any other muscles activated other than my arms.
    I never «feel» my chest unless I touch it, but it still grew from regularly training horizontal pushing movements...
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Raspberry76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chance upon this yt video by Jeremy Ethier title : The Perfect Push-Up To Build Muscle (AVOID THESE MISTAKES!)

Tried it and definitely feel like I am engaging my upper muscles though I still can't go full motion yet. I have long way to go.

Didn't realize I was doing it wrong all the while.

czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) czulsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Raspberry76 View Post

Did I do wrongly ?

Sounds like your a beginner. I had this same problem 6 months ago when I started.

1st you are still weak in your triceps and shoulders. At this moment your chest may be stronger than your arms. Need to build strength doing the accessory exercises like tricep push downs and OHP. This way the strength start to balance with your chest.

2nd your posture alignment may be off. Focus on hands set up with your chest plane. Focus a horizontal line going through chest, nipples and out. Place your hands on the lane. Elbows need to stay in around 45*. Once your elbows flare out your using your arms.

At the bottom of the push up focus on TUT (Time Under Tension) hold about 1 or 2 sec count than push back up.

3rd. Focus on your sets 3/3 so you can do the movements slowly and build that muscle mind connection. Than next time try 3/5, 3/6, 3/8.

Give it some time. It took me about 3 months or so before I started to feel the burn in my chest. I went back to the basics and focused on form and muscle mind connection. Doing the push up slowly starting 3/3, 3/5.

Now I’m doing banded push ups using the mind muscles connection cues.

Don’t give up.