Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    tetizzurrr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question BURNING question because of new coach

I hired my first coach after years of training and learning by myself. He has been doing this for over 25 years. Real bodybuilding guy.

He told me something crazy that sounds to good to be true.

Im cutting right now and he told me that i can have a weekly cheatDAY. Not a meal, day. He says that if you go over your calories that day, your body can only store a maximum of 300-400 extra calories. All the other is just waste and you poop it out. So if youre going to cheat, cheat good and go over the 400 extra kcals.

Its good for the metabolism he says.

So people... facts???

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thats a load of nonsense. Your body will very efficiently store all extra calories you eat, guaranteed.

There are some effects like measurement errors, effects on water weight, appetite adjustment the following day, small increases in NEAT etc. which can make it *seem* like a cheat day doesn't affect results in some people, but this is fooling yourself about how the body works.

You can bet that people who find it hard to keep weight off will be very adversely affected by "cheat days" - in fact these are one of the main reasons we see posts on here by people who say they can't lose weight no matter what they do.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Considering 1 pound of metabolizable fat is ~3500 kcals, if you could really only store 400 calories daily then it would not be possible to gain more than ~30*400/3500 = 3.4 pounds of fat per month. I assure you many people gain more fat than that monthly when "dirty bulking". So empirically the claim is false. From a research perspective, the claim is also false. Regarding it helping the metabolism, there isn't any evidence to my knowledge that a 1 day refeed significantly helps metabolism and that's why a lot of people recommend doing 2+ days (but that would be eating slightly above maintenance with predominantly carbohydrates, not a full cheat day).

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that's the biggest load of bs i've seen, especially when it's coming from someone who's been doing this for 25 years... this is why i'm a bit 50/50 when people say they're going to hire a coach

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Haha! Thats a good one. Always funny to hear the gibberish that PTs come up with. 99.99% of them give the rest a bad name.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

I think maybe its a way that i'll stay longer with him because the progress wil be slower.

My first 2 weeks with him i went from 20 to 18% bodyfat without cheating.

Second 2 weeks i did a cheatday twice and i went from 18.5 tot 18.1%. Didnt really lose as much and i said isnt it because of the cheatdays? He said no its because your body is now used to the calories, and now he upped my kcals with 200 kcal to boost up my metabolism.

Im not losing weight during al of this. I keep staying around 87 kg. I want the scale to go lower but he says body fat counts and not what the scales says.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by tetizzurrr View Post
    I think maybe its a way that i'll stay longer with him because the progress wil be slower.

My first 2 weeks with him i went from 20 to 18% bodyfat without cheating.

Second 2 weeks i did a cheatday twice and i went from 18.5 tot 18.1%. Didnt really lose as much and i said isnt it because of the cheatdays? He said no its because your body is now used to the calories, and now he upped my kcals with 200 kcal to boost up my metabolism.

Im not losing weight during al of this. I keep staying around 87 kg. I want the scale to go lower but he says body fat counts and not what the scales says.
    If you are using the bodyfat measurement from standing on a scale that is single frequency bioimpedance analysis and notoriously inaccurate. You would be better off just following the advice in this forum or, if you want a longer read, on my website: https://www.healthierwithscience.com...gement-course/

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you are using the bodyfat measurement from standing on a scale that is single frequency bioimpedance analysis and notoriously inaccurate. You would be better off just following the advice in this forum or, if you want a longer read, on my website
    No my coach uses a fat caliper. I use the scale at p
    home to check kg, not looking at fat %

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're trying to lose fat then get a new coach, period. Or, at least don't follow his BS guidance. Cheat days aren't going to help you. You need to stay in a calorie deficit.

No my coach uses a fat caliper. I use the scale at p
    home to check kg, not looking at fat %
    Calipers are not going to be accurate to within 0.5%.

Ask yourself this; is there any logical way that adding 200 kcals without changing anything else should help someone lose weight?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It pains me that anyone could be as stupid as your coach
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ask to see before and after pictures of his clients progress along with diet and training longs. if he's in fact such a good coach he should have that readily available.

coaches when qualified can be a valuable asset for either someone who doesn't know how to diet and exercise or for a competitor who needs refinement.

calipers are great as a measurement tool to see how much you lost or gained in an area but i'd use them for measuring progress not for measuring actual bodyfat...nothing beats the mirror. you can have one guy tell you he's 8 percent body fat yet another guy who claims he's ten percent looks leaner.

Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    ask to see before and after pictures of his clients progress along with diet and training longs. if he's in fact such a good coach he should have that readily available.

coaches when qualified can be a valuable asset for either someone who doesn't know how to diet and exercise or for a competitor who needs refinement.

calipers are great as a measurement tool to see how much you lost or gained in an area but i'd use them for measuring progress not for measuring actual bodyfat...nothing beats the mirror. you can have one guy tell you he's 8 percent body fat yet another guy who claims he's ten percent looks leaner.
    Yeah he even prepares bodybuilders for shows. He's at one right now with a guy he coaches. Guy looks really good.

So yeah..
    Last edited by tetizzurrr; 09-12-2021 at 10:03 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yeah he even prepares bodybuilders for shows. He's at one right now with a guy he coaches. Guy looks really good.

So yeah..
    That doesn't mean he understands human biology particularly well. People who are driven and have a great work ethic succeed despite irrational habits sometimes. The habits are an artefact of their motivation rather than the habits being a causal factor in their success.

What would be more telling is if he had a large number of more average clients who all successfully achieve more modest goals.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That wins the most moronic piece of diet advice I’ve ever heard besides it’s carbs not calories that make you fat. OP you need to fire that coach ASAP
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Op Your couch probably is just telling you what you what to hear. You’re the ding dong for believing eating excess calories will help you lose fat or weight. He can train pros all day long but unless you see logs, you have no idea if he’s even doing their diets, he could just be making training routines. Also, they might not be taking that cheat day. It would be good to talk to one of his famous clients.

What are your current stats? Height 191lbs and weight? Calipers are a horrible way to measure body fat. Post a picture

What are the macros/calories he has you on daily?
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Op Your couch probably is just telling you what you what to hear. You’re the ding dong for believing eating excess calories will help you lose fat or weight. He can train pros all day long but unless you see logs, you have no idea if he’s even doing their diets, he could just be making training routines. Also, they might not be taking that cheat day. It would be good to talk to one of his famous clients.

What are your current stats? Height and weight? Calipers are a horrible way to measure body fat.

What are the macros/calories he has you on daily?
    Hes a IFBB national coach..

Im 87 kg, 173 cm, office job.
    2400 kcal
    205 pro. 240 carb. 70 fat

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

2400 kcal
    so he specializes in training people on "special vitamins". you need to wrap your head around the fact that he has no practical knowledge regarding energy balance. if you cant do that then you will be unsuccessful fat loss. you'll be back here in 3 months asking what the hell happened

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    so he specializes in training people on "special vitamins". you need to wrap your head around the fact that he has no practical knowledge regarding energy balance. if you cant do that then you will be unsuccessful fat loss. you'll be back here in 3 months asking what the hell happened
    But even on special vitamins the once a week cheatday wont work right?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    special supplements might mitigate the damage to a small extent depending on what you're talking about, but nothing worth bragging about by any means....

At the end of the day, it's extra energy, which in turn will become fat tissue.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Whyyy the **** is this coach telling me this ****. The second that he told cheatday once a wee and why cheatdays are good i told him that cant be true!! But he said yeah i got 25 years of expierence so i was like.. yeah i guess

Whyyy the **** is this coach telling me this ****. The second that he told cheatday once a wee and why cheatdays are good i told him that cant be true!! But he said yeah i got 25 years of expierence so i was like.. yeah i guess
    I think he's conflating having days where you relax on the diet a bit with having a full-on day where you literally eat anything in any amount until you're sick.... but honestly I don't know.

It IS true on some level that pro bodybuilders, once they reach SUPER low bodyfat levels, have more wiggle room because they become so depleted that their body's will preferentially store extra glycogen as opposed to fat... but that only goes so far...

If your TDEE is 3000 calories and you eat 8,000 calories on a cheat day, then guaranteed you're going to be storing most of that excess energy as fat... unless you literally don't eat hardly anything afterward for days to compensate, which is not a healthy way to eat.

correct. his point of over 300 calories over surplus wont matter is his worst comments. Those guys on vitamins that have been on sometimes as low as 1,400 calories prepping for a contest NEED a high cal day but you dont.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

2400 kcal
    and I just have had pro cards and uspa golds, trained with Olympians and uspa champions. I know people like Logan franklins coach personally. And before I started competing over a decade ago, and never in 10 years in competitive body building or powerlifting was eating more the solution to lose fat

If you don’t want to listen, I don’t know why you asked the question. No one here will agree with eating more to lose weight

How much have you already paid this guy?

Op you are 190 lbs at 5’6 you should not have cheat days
    Last edited by snailsrus; 09-12-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    special supplements might mitigate the damage to a small extent depending on what you're talking about, but nothing worth bragging about by any means....

At the end of the day, it's extra energy, which in turn will become fat tissue.
    Unless of course…up regulation

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    Op you are 190 lbs at 5’6 you should not have cheat days
    X2. Hey, I just realized I have a shotgun called a Winchester X2.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    X2. Hey, I just realized I have a shotgun called a Winchester X2.
    I have a Winchester 1897. The funny thing is it was not made in 1897.

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Unless of course…up regulation
    Here's an idea supported by the evidence:

If you happen to binge on like 8000+ calories... just sleep the next day, and make sure to do ZERO exercise. This should reverse the detrimental impacts of exercise on TDEE and induce a net negative energy balance.

GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GayCumLord has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    might depend on genetics but for me, I can easily set myself back 1-2 weeks in a day lol

Originally Posted by GayCumLord View Post
    might depend on genetics but for me, I can easily set myself back 1-2 weeks in a day lol
    You can easily eat 10,000 calories in a day?

That’s pretty damn hard IMO… at least ad libitum / not forcing