Registered User Steeldragonmark's Avatar
    Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Garage Gym in the UK. Help!

Hi all
    I’m looking to fit out my garage as a gym and am looking for some advice on suppliers and equipment available in the UK.
    I train as a powerlifter (older powerlifter granted. Lol) and have been lifting for around 8 years albeit at home with only dumbbells and bands for the last year and half (thanks Covid!). To get an idea as to my strength level my lifts as of before Covid were.
    Squat 156kg
    Deadlift 192kg
    Bench 110kg
    Anyway, the time has come to fit out my garage so I can get back to barbell training.
    I need a power cage/squat rack (must accommodate pull-up bar and dip handles), platform, barbell, plates, flat bench and flooring.
    I’m sure everyone says this but I want to spend as little as possible for good quality kit. Lol. Although, I want a good quality bar that will last.
    I will probably make the platform to keep the costs down as the ones I see online are very expensive.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good supplier in the UK?
    Also power cage or half rack? They seem to be around the same price.
    Best bar for powerlifting?
    Any and all advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

heavily caffeinated grapegorilla's Avatar
    grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grapegorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As for a suppliers in UK, I have no idea. I do know there's https://www.rogueeurope.eu but if it's like the Canadian version then it's just a website in local currency that all ships from US. I'd probably start with defining what you want, which you have a great start. You can start refining the options.

If space allows then a cage offers more protection and depending on config can also be used for plate storage. Consider if you want to eventually add to the cage and if the selected company/cage can accommodate. Example, 3x3" posts or 2x2"? 2" spacing? etc. Watch out though because some cages will specify in inches, but use metric components. https://www.tworepcave.com/3006/powe...y-master-list/

If budget permits, buy a decent bar (power vs olympic) and the weights you need. When I started I went with bumper plates only to find I prefer iron, so sold them and went with revolver style.

For bench, consider stability, pad width, and if you go adjustable consider how easy it is to adjust. For adjustables, the gap between seat and back pad are always discussed -- for me I just slide up my bench and avoid the gap.

Flooring, rolled is much easier to put down.

Local buy&sell could be a decent option to pick up items at a discount. Just watch because there's also people selling above retail.
    Last edited by grapegorilla; 09-12-2021 at 05:24 PM.
    ▪[]─────[]▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #80 ▪[]─────[]▪
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #13 ▪[M]====[6]▪

It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- Rippetoe

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As already mentioned Rogue is an option, Rogue EU is based in Belgium, but I haven't ordered from them since leaving the EU so I'm not sure about vat and import duties, I know I had a delivery from Panatta last week and importing the machines was a real PITA.

I think ATX are a good option, The Gym Revolution is the sales outlet in the UK, Matt Bembridge is the guy to talk to. They offer a few modular rack ranges and the last time I looked at their racks they were impressive. ATX also offer a decent range of bars and plates, I used to have the ATX Power bar, 28.5mm but passed it on during the lock down, I had too many bars and decided to cash in when prices were favourable. I think ATX now offer. a 29mm powerlifting bar, but I haven't seen it.

The used market has slowed down and people are now shifting kit they bought at the height of the Pandemic and prices have dropped significantly, so the used market may be your best option.

Registered User Steeldragonmark's Avatar
    Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steeldragonmark will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10) sribond is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Steeldragonmark View Post
    Hi all
    I’m looking to fit out my garage as a gym and am looking for some advice on suppliers and equipment available in the UK.
    I train as a powerlifter (older powerlifter granted. Lol) and have been lifting for around 8 years albeit at home with only dumbbells and bands for the last year and half (thanks Covid!). To get an idea as to my strength level my lifts as of before Covid were.
    Squat 156kg
    Deadlift 192kg
    Bench 110kg
    Anyway, the time has come to fit out my garage so I can get back to barbell training.
    I need a power cage/squat rack (must accommodate pull-up bar and dip handles), platform, barbell, plates, flat bench and flooring.
    I’m sure everyone says this but I want to spend as little as possible for good quality kit. Lol. Although, I want a good quality bar that will last.
    I will probably make the platform to keep the costs down as the ones I see online are very expensive.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good supplier in the UK?
    Also power cage or half rack? They seem to be around the same price.
    Best bar for powerlifting?
    Any and all advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    My 2 cents on Bench alone.
    If Ironmaster (USA) can ship it to you, man...Trust me..That's the bench you should own. Simple yet versatile. It's been a month or 2 since I started using it & absolutely loving it. They shipped to me from US to Canada.