fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Keto/Low carb feeling weak asf and getting me down a bit.

Hey everyone I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it runs in the family :/ and have been put on a low carb diet and its working to control my diabetes however my gym life is suffering big time... i know its not the end of the world but as someone thats enjoyed lifting for the last 5/6 years and pushing my limits its very disheartening to see not only my size but my lifts suffering and feeling weak all the time.

I have maintained the same amount of calories as I normally would but with the macro's now leaning highly towards protein/fat but despite the same calories I just cant lift for crap nowadays and feel tired within 45 mins.

Has anyone else switched to this diet and how have you managed to get round this ? also not sure if its muscle loss or just with the low carb muscle flatness... but I'm looking like some lean swimmer nowadays rather than big and burly which is not a look I wish to have any tips ?

Forgot to mention I also keep getting mini flu's after trying to push it hard... esp leg days something I never had issues with before... possibly the lack of carbs for recovery ?

Thanks.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fendertele View Post
    Hey everyone I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes it runs in the family :/ and have been put on a low carb diet and its working to control my diabetes however my gym life is suffering big time... i know its not the end of the world but as someone thats enjoyed lifting for the last 5/6 years and pushing my limits its very disheartening to see not only my size but my lifts suffering and feeling weak all the time.

I have maintained the same amount of calories as I normally would but with the macro's now leaning highly towards protein/fat but despite the same calories I just cant lift for crap nowadays and feel tired within 45 mins.

Has anyone else switched to this diet and how have you managed to get round this ? also not sure if its muscle loss or just with the low carb muscle flatness... but I'm looking like some lean swimmer nowadays rather than big and burly which is not a look I wish to have any tips ?

Forgot to mention I also keep getting mini flu's after trying to push it hard... esp leg days something I never had issues with before... possibly the lack of carbs for recovery ?

Thanks.
    Are you overweight/obese?

If so, maintaining the calories that put you in your current situation is not a good idea... you should instead focus on fat loss which should greatly improve if not fix the T2D altogether.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fendertele is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Are you overweight/obese?

If so, maintaining the calories that put you in your current situation is not a good idea... you should instead focus on fat loss which should greatly improve if not fix the T2D altogether.
    No definitely not In fact I've lost fat since the change of diet. I'm not ripped but my waist has gone down for sure was about 38 inches and im now just shy of a 36 inch waist this decrease has happened over 5 months since switching diets.

I eat around 3000 calories a day... maybe I need to eat more ?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fendertele View Post
    No definitely not In fact I've lost fat since the change of diet. I'm not ripped but my waist has gone down for sure was about 38 inches and im now just shy of a 36 inch waist this decrease has happened over 5 months since switching diets.

I eat around 3000 calories a day... maybe I need to eat more ?
    So you have T1D yet your bodyfat is in a healthy range?

That’s extremely rare…. I’m sorry to hear that

How long have you been on this diet?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

So you have T1D yet your bodyfat is in a healthy range?

That’s extremely rare…. I’m sorry to hear that

How long have you been on this diet?
    type 2 diabetes man - was told its to do with genetics and i also have a non cancerous tumor that plays havoc on my hormones in general.

they are very happy with me physically and blood levels so that is a plus for sure.... but im unhappy with my strength loss in the gym despite trying to stay around my usual maintenance calories 3000 unless this changes when you change the macros ? maybe 3000 is no longer maintenance and i require more ?

I dont know the science but is it possible switching to fat burning for energy vs cabrs/glucose requires more calorie input for maintenence ?

im rambling lol.

around 5/6 months now since feb/march.

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i've done high fat/low carb diets many times with great success. used a ketone meter and glucose meter while on to monitor what's happening in my body.

first let's cover how you'll feel. terrible! the first time you try it will be murder even though nothing is wrong. once you slip in ketosis you do feel better, mental clarity is up and brain fog is non existent. very difficult to compare vs someone who has never done zero/very low carb. you think you're mentally sharp then you wipe out carbs and it's on a different level.

what you can do to feel better and not sluggish are a few things. mct oil can help, has to be c8. just a little bit in your morning coffee or preworkout.

sodium, it's your friend when low carbing. a teaspoon of pink salt in your morning water will make sure you don't lose your pump. during my workouts i'd have a bcaa drink, it helped a LOT but know that it will kick you out of ketosis temporarily due to aminos being broken down into glycogen and used for fuel.

i used to follow a cyclic ketogenic diet where i'd carb up one day out of the week. the fat loss came better than a traditional high carb diet that required calorie cutting.

low carb diets do have some advantages because you gain metabolic flexibility. when you come off and go on again you're not hurting, if you try that never having done one before you'll feel like fainting or passing out. right now if i go low carb i feel fine but the first time it was brutal.

i always avoided cheese once on, i noticed i didn't feel as good and it plugged me up where i could barely use the bathroom.

i would recommend a carb meal every few days but given that you're a diabetic and put on this i wouldn't. definitely would recommend some aminos for during your workout, they're a game changer in how they make you feel. i've tried exogenous ketones and didn't like how i felt while using them so save your money there.

also make sure a higher percentage of your calories are from fat, at least 60 percent....never make sure you go under or have more protein than fat you'll sluggish.

Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    i've done high fat/low carb diets many times with great success. used a ketone meter and glucose meter while on to monitor what's happening in my body.

first let's cover how you'll feel. terrible! the first time you try it will be murder even though nothing is wrong. once you slip in ketosis you do feel better, mental clarity is up and brain fog is non existent. .
    he's been doing it 5-6 months

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    he's been doing it 5-6 months
    correctemundo! if you kept reading you'll see what i suggested

correctemundo! if you kept reading you'll see what i suggested
    I did read it, but it's confusing because you also said he hasn't given it enough time...

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How much do you weigh?

What is your height?

You don’t need to be keto for a diabetic friendly diet. Balance your carbs with protein and non - processed carbs with lower glycemic indexes

There is a thing called keto flu, but if you’ve been doing it for 5-6 months that shouldn’t be an issue

Unless you do a ton of cardio you don’t need more than 3000 calories

What are your a1c levels? Where is your tumor? Are you hypo or hyper thyroid?
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

I did read it, but it's confusing because you also said he hasn't given it enough time...
    i never said that

i never said that
    You said “once you slip into ketosis”…

5-6 months seems like a bit long to get into ketosis

You said “once you slip into ketosis”…

5-6 months seems like a bit long to get into ketosis
    yes, if you've ever done keto you'll know when you slip in and slip out. you can actually feel it (i sure can). mental clarity is to the point where you can bend a spoon mentally. he's likely out of it when he feels like crap and back in it when he feels better.

yes, if you've ever done keto you'll know when you slip in and slip out. you can actually feel it (i sure can). mental clarity is to the point where you can bend a spoon mentally. he's likely out of it when he feels like crap and back in it when he feels better.
    I understand KETO and what you're talking about, but unless he's not actually following a KETO diet (which I feel like he'd notice if it's been 5-6 months) it seems like this wouldn't be the problem...

He claims he feels crappy when he's training, not as a result of a specific food/meal... so to me, that sounds like a chronic, not acute, issue with the diet altogether.

Not everyone is going to like KETO, in fact most people don't like it.

I understand KETO and what you're talking about, but unless he's not actually following a KETO diet (which I feel like he'd notice if it's been 5-6 months) it seems like this wouldn't be the problem...

He claims he feels crappy when he's training, not as a result of a specific food/meal... so to me, that sounds like a chronic, not acute, issue with the diet altogether.

Not everyone is going to like KETO, in fact most people don't like it.
    yes i answered that, i can re post it in bold if you'd like

really? i had no idea it was a fact that most people don't like a keto vs a non keto. was the study done with diabetics or non diabetics, study model? this is very interesting!