Thread: Turning 50

jimredsox is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Turning 50

Hello. I rarely post but after a lot of reading articles I didn’t get much information that was useful for me. I’m looking for some advice on a how to improve my nutrition be some strategies around working out.

Weight loss. I joined a weight loss clinic about two years ago and lost 80 pounds over a nine month. I received vitamin B12 injections and medication to curve my appetite. This was really helpful and I maintain the weight loss for about a year and a half however I’ve seen rapid weight gain over the last six months and I’ve increased some of my portions but I still eat really well. I eat no bread nor pizza no cheese mostly all protein and fat. I do not think I’m in ketosis though because I eat a lot of nuts as well. I’m thinking about giving up on keto because of all of this we creep.

Exercise. In my 20s I was an amateur basketball player overseas so I was in really good shape my weight is fluctuated in my 30s and 40s I’ve had a shoulder clean out and now just most recently my knee clean out as well with a torn meniscus. I am often stiff I feel weak but I’m concerned about tearing something else I need to think through exercise again at my age. I love cycling and once my knee is back I’d like to get into that again. But not sure what if anything I should think through with weightlifting I need to rethink stretching.

All of the above was a lot but I figured I’d post something here just to get some folks opinions and perspective if someone is on a similar journey thank you so much

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You gained weight because you increased the amount you eat, it doesn't matter if you classify it as "eating well" or not. More calories = more weight. If you want to lose fat, get a handle on how many you are consuming and reduce them until you lose weight steadily. Of course eating less processed food does make it easier to keep calorie counts down because they should be more filling.

I would strongly recommend weight training for supporting weight loss as well as a way of protecting joints - if done correctly. I am less keen on repetitive actions like cycling which don't use muscles through a full range of motion and don't include enough diversity of movement.

You may have to work with a sports physio to figure out what you can and can't do. If done correctly, you may not even need to do any static stretching. Our muscle belly lengths adapt to the type of exercise we do. In my opinion, the need to stretch is treating the symptom not the cause (stiffness due to poor training practices).

Registered User Benchpresser350's Avatar
    Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Benchpresser350 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Move more -- eat less.

[Try] 10 minute walks after every meal. Walk at a pace that just out of breaths you a little. 5 mins out and 5 mins back. (that's the move more).

If you eat the EXACT same food every day remove 500 calories from it and see if your weight falls--if not remove another 500 calories.

If you eat varied foods over the week. Write down everything that goes into your mouth and choose how to drop that according to the 500 calorie rule above.

If you drink alcohol...that may be your culprit....abstain from it 100% if you can....if you can't count its calories as food calories.

Stan Effordings Vertical Diet book is about $30 hardcover and $100 pdf....it might help you develop a better eating plan.

He also sells very high quality bodybuilder food delivered to your door frozen.

If you want you can YouTube "Rhino’s Meals in a Minute- “STEROID SALAD” with Chef Gavan Murphy." for some of Stan's advice on weight loss.